Career Officer
# 11
11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Personally, I'd settle for having the ability to cancel a project to which no contributions have been made. That would let us "undo" accidental starts, but prevent abuse once someone has contributed.
Career Officer
# 12
11-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The ability to cancel a project was never built into the system. In case it's not obvious, the Reputation System is using the same basic technology as the Fleet Project system, and we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially screw over its players (intentionally or not).

Since Reputations are personal, the only person that could be affected by cancelling a project is you. It's less of a concern in that case, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fundamental alteration of the software.

No, the items are destroyed/discarded/gone-forever at the moment you hit Contribute, and are converted into a simple numeric that tracks how many items have been contributed to that particular "bucket" of goods. As such, cancelling a project would refund you nothing, other than freeing up the project slot.
be nice to since can't deposit blue fighter for scorpion which I have blue fighter hmm
Career Officer
# 13
11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
This message has been deleted.
Rihannsu
# 14
11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
In terms of starbase projects it would be nice if we could cancel future ones. I'm mainly thinking of when someone selects a tier 5 project than no one wants or sometimes on upgrade project. its possible to select one, while a upgrade is in progress not realising that the current project will unlock a more important one.

Its not major but it would help and give people more control.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 15
11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially screw over its players (intentionally or not).
So the person who has the power in the fleet to kick players from it, invite other people, change my bank access, provision access along with other things I'm forgetting about that can potentially screw over its players yet it would be a big deal if he cost me a few resources I already donated and gained fleet credits for? Does that just sound silly to anyone else? I once again must say you guys need someone from a psychology background on your team. I wonder how many players have been lost because of a basic capability that your system lacks to make up for its own inherit flaws like bugged projects. Every system needs the ability to handle internal errors because no matter how good a QA team is there will at some point be a problem.

No the real reason it was not built into the system was to prevent anyone from gaining a large amount of fleet credits using energy credits or some other resource.
Rihannsu
# 16
11-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
Personally, I'd settle for having the ability to cancel a project to which no contributions have been made. That would let us "undo" accidental starts, but prevent abuse once someone has contributed.
/signed +1

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Rihannsu
# 17
11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2448 View Post
be nice to since can't deposit blue fighter for scorpion which I have blue fighter hmm
Do you have an old Advanced Peregrine wing? The Scorpion Fighter project needs plain Peregrines, not Advanced. The colors changed a while back, with the old green becoming blue, and old blue becoming purple, that could be causing the confusion.
Rihannsu
# 18
11-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1986 View Post
Sure you're trying to use the right ones? You need the hangars bought from the shipyard.

I thought it was Cryptic's policy to stay out of intra-fleet politics?

Even if it's not, I have to politely disagree with your stance of not allowing the entire community access to a feature because it may be abused by a small minority, and those fleet leaders that do abuse it will soon find themselves alone in their fleet.
I have to agree with DMA. Cancelling a major project like that would be a super-dic move. The fleet leader would have to shoot themself in the foot to do it.

@ Bareel: actually, those give such a pathetic amount of FC that it's kinda pointless.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 11-29-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Career Officer
# 19
11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
How about the ability to cancel the next lined up project, or a project next up that has no contributions? Make it so it is empty I mean. There has been a couple of occasions when I have realised that I shouldn't have lined up another project in the reputation due to incoming changes etc...

The example I have in mind is because I lined up the Cutting Beam by mistake when I should have kept on ranking up the tiers (same with fleet/embassy). Better to rank up then go back and grind like crazy to unlock everything.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
The ability to cancel a project was never built into the system. In case it's not obvious, the Reputation System is using the same basic technology as the Fleet Project system, and we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially screw over its players (intentionally or not).

Since Reputations are personal, the only person that could be affected by cancelling a project is you. It's less of a concern in that case, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fundamental alteration of the software.
So, is this a sort of confession of "yeah, we WERE going to look into it, but we decided against it?"

It would be nice to cancel a project en lieu of another, even without getting anything back. For example, I have been leaving things "blank" (i.e., not putting another project in the queue) so when a Tier opens, we can start things previously unavailable, but a lot of my Fleet members want "things to build." Personally, I don't want to waste resources - you guys do KNOW some of these costs are WAY too high, don't you? (rhetorical) - on a project that really doesn't get us anywhere. It would be nice to swap something out if we wanted to; just sayin.'

Fleet Commander
Caprica's Revenge
(...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)