Captain
# 71
11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
The problem that I can see is we have too many people walking around with their feelings on their sleeves moaning because this game doesn't conform to their fantasy world vision of Star Trek.
Well Star Trek had it's share of rowdy bar scenes, Drozana is mild by comparison and is positively sedate in comparison to some of the bars I've been to in the real world.
Captain
# 72
11-29-2012, 06:12 PM
OP, I have one thing to say to you. Stop being a wimp and grow a thicker skin.

And as for that fool that said ignoring is not a viable option? Wow, you must not be very good at ignoring things. Does the neighbor next door sneezing bother you? Do the pipes banging at night wake you up? I have one thing to say to your post.

LOL.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 73
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
This discussion is pointless, they will never turn a social hub into a a PvP zone. Bullies are inherent cowards, whether in a school yard or in a game, they won't attack someone they know can defend themselves, they won't start anything with an armed group, they will wait until they can single their victims out and there is no way that a defense can be in constant preparedness.
The problem with this is that "death" in this game carries NO penalty and they will simply continue griefing you.

You can still zone chat while "dead", You can also PM, local and, team.

So while they're down they can still laugh and rip on you, then when they come back they just start again, ultimately they'll be getting what they want, a reaction from you and they'll be taking YOUR TIME by forcing you to take however little or much time and effort as is required to deal with them for the 15 seconds it takes them to respawn and come at you again.

As long as you're responding to them, they're getting what they want. Even if that response is a MK XII Elite FLeet Pulsewave to the face.
Rihannsu
# 74
11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
The problem that I can see is we have too many people walking around with their feelings on their sleeves moaning because this game doesn't conform to their fantasy world vision of Star Trek.
Well Star Trek had it's share of rowdy bar scenes, Drozana is mild by comparison and is positively sedate in comparison to some of the bars I've been to in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
OP, I have one thing to say to you. Stop being a wimp and grow a thicker skin.

And as for that fool that said ignoring is not a viable option? Wow, you must not be very good at ignoring things. Does the neighbor next door sneezing bother you? Do the pipes banging at night wake you up? I have one thing to say to your post.

LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
The problem with this is that "death" in this game carries NO penalty and they will simply continue griefing you.

You can still zone chat while "dead", You can also PM, local and, team.

So while they're down they can still laugh and rip on you, then when they come back they just start again, ultimately they'll be getting what they want, a reaction from you and they'll be taking YOUR TIME by forcing you to take however little or much time and effort as is required to deal with them for the 15 seconds it takes them to respawn and come at you again.

As long as you're responding to them, they're getting what they want. Even if that response is a MK XII Elite FLeet Pulsewave to the face.
*laughs hysterically*

thanks guys, I needed that. It's nice to know that some people here are mature adults.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 75
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Trolling in STO in all forms is caused by the unusual propensity of the game to attract very small and vulnerable people. This is true of bullies as well as victims.

The degree of petty behavior that seems unique to STO is typical of neither Trekkies nor MMOs in general. WoW's community has more than its share of children and idiots; GW2 and TERA, respectively, seem to appeal to women and men who have gender/personal confidence issues. GW1's community alone is excellent.

STO is unique for being played by what I would call a lot of "wannabe hall monitors". I believe this is due to the excessive degree of militarism and P2W in the game design; it attracts too many people who want the trappings of power.

I believe that the best thing that can be done to prevent trolling is to make the game more demanding and offer superlative rewards only for coordinated efforts. Perhaps also shrink group sizes and somehow encourage players to repeat queue with the same people.

People will drop the 'tude and work together if they have no choice. That's human nature.

Last edited by aestu; 11-29-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Captain
# 76
11-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
better still if those killed respawn on ESD
Especially if those that were killed, and then respawned at ESD, were members of the KDF
Captain
# 77
11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
Trolling in STO in all forms is caused by the unusual propensity of the game to attract very small and vulnerable people. This is true of bullies as well as victims.

The degree of petty behavior that seems unique to STO is typical of neither Trekkies nor MMOs in general. WoW's community has more than its share of children and idiots; GW2 and TERA, respectively, seem to appeal to women and men who have gender/personal confidence issues. GW1's community alone is excellent.

STO is unique for being played by what I would call a lot of "wannabe hall monitors". I believe this is due to the excessive degree of militarism and P2W in the game design; it attracts too many people who want the trappings of power.

I believe that the best thing that can be done to prevent trolling is to make the game more demanding and offer superlative rewards only for coordinated efforts. Perhaps also shrink group sizes and somehow encourage players to repeat queue with the same people.

People will drop the 'tude and work together if they have no choice. That's human nature.
excellent post, totally agree.
Go pro or go home
Lieutenant
# 78
12-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Quote:
welcome to the world of mmo's

actually scratch that.

welcome to the internet. where a nobody is a somebody and a somebody is a nobody. which is a fancy way of saying anonymous.
I thought the saying was.."Welcome to the internet, where men are women, women are men, and kids are FBI agents"
Starfleet Veteran
# 79
12-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerstickman View Post
I thought the saying was.."Welcome to the internet, where men are women, women are men, and kids are FBI agents"
+10 internets for you Sir er Mada... Offic.... What ever.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln