Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 61
# 21
11-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
So combining the factions will force me to play a klingon looking toon without any identity whatsoever, and pvp against my own kind.

Feds will still get more ships, and the grind will have a faction neutral face on it. The game will be more boring than it is now. OOOOOhh, I know- more missions with AI foes (that are already stupid beyond belief).

Ya, great idea there.
It wasn't a suggestion, it was foresight.

I personally think it would be a horrendous day if/when that happens. The KDF need to be exactly what they are, unique.

The Federation story is told fairly well (if you ignore the fact that it has nothing to do with what starfleet strive for) yet the Klingons always seem to be roped into the same content with the same decisions being made and the same outcomes because of that.

Essentially there is nothing different from my VA Federation toon to my LG KDF toon. Obviously one is blue and one is red but other than that the story has been the same. Sure there have been slight alterations in dialogue but I have done exactly the same thing as I did on the previous toon.

My first moment of 'whats going on here?' was the Defera stuff. I really don't understand why the KDF would try and help out a clearly inferior species for little to no gain. The Breen were doing what the KDF would have done, enslave the Deferi and get them mining for the Empire. They would oppress the Defera and basically turn them into a slave nation.

If that had actually happened it would have made the Federations plight against the Klingons a little better too I feel.

As it is the KDF rush in to help something meaningless for no gain to the Empire. There is a lot more work involved in cooperating with the Defera than there is in simply overpowering them, especially given that their defensive capabilities are non-existant. Let them contemplate the galaxies balance while they mine out their dilithium veins for the Empire.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 22
11-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
So combining the factions will force me to play a klingon looking toon without any identity whatsoever, and pvp against my own kind.

Feds will still get more ships, and the grind will have a faction neutral face on it. The game will be more boring than it is now. OOOOOhh, I know- more missions with AI foes (that are already stupid beyond belief).

Ya, great idea there.
Welcome to fan Segregation Trek Online it sounds like.
Where in the spirit ( as far as some have said before) of The Great Bird of the Galaxy ( is that the correct quote?) you too will experience a grand adventure in the humans Only Club as your races monetary resources are confused, social dynamics over written and moral outlook is replaced to suit the united consumption of semi-sporadic releases of new federation aproved content in both random boxed and free .......

At this point the mind goes numb and mutterings of, "z..en. zen. must buy ..zen" start and the game feels creepy.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,524
# 23
11-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadsdwad View Post
It wasn't a suggestion, it was foresight.

I personally think it would be a horrendous day if/when that happens. The KDF need to be exactly what they are, unique.

The Federation story is told fairly well (if you ignore the fact that it has nothing to do with what starfleet strive for) yet the Klingons always seem to be roped into the same content with the same decisions being made and the same outcomes because of that.

Essentially there is nothing different from my VA Federation toon to my LG KDF toon. Obviously one is blue and one is red but other than that the story has been the same. Sure there have been slight alterations in dialogue but I have done exactly the same thing as I did on the previous toon.

My first moment of 'whats going on here?' was the Defera stuff. I really don't understand why the KDF would try and help out a clearly inferior species for little to no gain. The Breen were doing what the KDF would have done, enslave the Deferi and get them mining for the Empire. They would oppress the Defera and basically turn them into a slave nation.

If that had actually happened it would have made the Federations plight against the Klingons a little better too I feel.

As it is the KDF rush in to help something meaningless for no gain to the Empire. There is a lot more work involved in cooperating with the Defera than there is in simply overpowering them, especially given that their defensive capabilities are non-existant. Let them contemplate the galaxies balance while they mine out their dilithium veins for the Empire.
You forgot something: Klingon Honour. Centuries ago, when the Klingon Empire was weak, young, and new, the Deferi aided them in their long struggle, and demanded nothing in return.

Repeat it with me now: "Klingons are NOT Ferengi. They are not Humans who forget a favour owed, ancient debts, or their word of honour."

A promise was made by the Klingon Empire, our involvement in Deferi space, and our assistance TO the Deferi, is rooted in the simple fact that just as we repay every insult, so to, do we pay back every kindness. It is no doubt tragic that a former haven and long time ally has fallen into such a state, but unlike the Federation or the Romulans, the Deferi never betrayed us, it would be DISHONOURABLE to abandon them to outside enemies, or worse, to BECOME their external enemy.

The Federation are opportunistic players, seeking to expand their sphere of influence by any shady, underhanded means possible. They're helping the Deferi ONLY because they see an advantage in doing so, and later, only because of the Borg. WE are Klingon, our word is good, our friends can COUNT on us, and our foes had better watch out.

THEY never betrayed us, adding them by conquest is, at best, a last-ditch resort, not a first move.



NOW, on the other hand, the Romulans...the pointed eared P'taq Romulans, with their greasy ways and traitor's hearts? our involvement there is truly...sickening. These are the false allies that attacked us, that betrayed us, that sought to overthrow the empire with not one, but TWO traitor houses on two occasions. I am left wondering if Ja'rod isn't vying for a third try in the name of his Disgraced and Discommended ancestor Duras.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 129
# 24
11-30-2012, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
So combining the factions will force me to play a klingon looking toon without any identity whatsoever, and pvp against my own kind.

Feds will still get more ships, and the grind will have a faction neutral face on it. The game will be more boring than it is now. OOOOOhh, I know- more missions with AI foes (that are already stupid beyond belief).

Ya, great idea there.
It might not be what you'd like to see but it is more likely - at this point in time - than true KDF content ( reading Dstahl's blogs shows that they are slowly backing off from KDF entirely ) .Let's face it :chance of them ever expanding KDF into a true faction - on par with FED - is a total of 0 % . Due to dwindling size of KDF population it's even safe to say that with every day passing that chance diminishes as well. They waited too long with the expansion for it to be viable to pour lots of resources in it . It simply isn't profitable anymore .
....sad and I wish it wasn't so , but it is.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,194
# 25
11-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
NOW, on the other hand, the Romulans...the pointed eared P'taq Romulans, with their greasy ways and traitor's hearts? our involvement there is truly...sickening. These are the false allies that attacked us, that betrayed us, that sought to overthrow the empire with not one, but TWO traitor houses on two occasions. I am left wondering if Ja'rod isn't vying for a third try in the name of his Disgraced and Discommended ancestor Duras.
"Ending a battle to save an Empire is no defeat." The Klingons have stopped fighting D'Tan's Unificationists because they have a greater battle ahead (the Iconians) and need to throw resources at that rather than the old hostilities.

That, and D'Tan is trying to make the Romulans honorable. That, surely, must appeal to the Klingons.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 26
11-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
A combined faction, definitely not. But I wouldn't mind too much if the war storyline itself ended.
Let me settle my viewpoint on the war once and for all.

I am not against the war ending.

I am against how Cryptic is forcing the end of the war seemingly to appease the fed fanbase whom do not understand it without ever fleshing the war story out so the player as he/she progresses of the ranks so the discovering of teh Iconian/Undine plot becomes apparent to the player allowing said player to slowly progress from being in a war mindset to a mindset that says this is wrong and I will be the hero that fights the good fight, even against the orders of my superiors becuase honor ( or duty to peace if a fed) demands I protect the Empire - if even from herself.

We have none of this in STO accept haphazzard attempts that fail to impress the story upon the fed player and nothing that allows any player to progress from Blind Follower to Fore-sighted Hero.

Instead we have imposed peace becuase of "time issues" or other excuses in endgame missions that push teh peace instead of letting the player find it on their own with no regards to the STO Path to 2409 backstory.

Right now STO is a Job that one clocks into do get paid so one can buy stuff form the company store. It has littel story that draws one in and gives purpose to ones climb up the ranks before endgame hits and the real jobs begin.

Thats just not fun. Gimme a game to enjoy instead of a job to dislike overtime becuase nothing changes or matters if I continue to work work work.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 27
11-30-2012, 07:05 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadsdwad View Post

If there truely are so few people playing KDF like the Devs have said then why does the same question crop up every time?


As for me, I bought a lifer sub and plan to use that advantage to push the question till the server melts.
I can not speak for others.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 28
11-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Let me settle my viewpoint on the war once and for all.

I am not against the war ending.

I am against how Cryptic is forcing the end of the war seemingly to appease the fed fanbase whom do not understand it without ever fleshing the war story out so the player as he/she progresses of the ranks so the discovering of teh Iconian/Undine plot becomes apparent to the player allowing said player to slowly progress from being in a war mindset to a mindset that says this is wrong and I will be the hero that fights the good fight, even against the orders of my superiors becuase honor ( or duty to peace if a fed) demands I protect the Empire - if even from herself.

We have none of this in STO accept haphazzard attempts that fail to impress the story upon the fed player and nothing that allows any player to progress from Blind Follower to Fore-sighted Hero.

Instead we have imposed peace becuase of "time issues" or other excuses in endgame missions that push teh peace instead of letting the player find it on their own with no regards to the STO Path to 2409 backstory.

Right now STO is a Job that one clocks into do get paid so one can buy stuff form the company store. It has littel story that draws one in and gives purpose to ones climb up the ranks before endgame hits and the real jobs begin.

Thats just not fun. Gimme a game to enjoy instead of a job to dislike overtime becuase nothing changes or matters if I continue to work work work.
Well Said!!
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 210
# 29
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwessels View Post
It might not be what you'd like to see but it is more likely - at this point in time - than true KDF content ( reading Dstahl's blogs shows that they are slowly backing off from KDF entirely ) .Let's face it :chance of them ever expanding KDF into a true faction - on par with FED - is a total of 0 % . Due to dwindling size of KDF population it's even safe to say that with every day passing that chance diminishes as well. They waited too long with the expansion for it to be viable to pour lots of resources in it . It simply isn't profitable anymore .
....sad and I wish it wasn't so , but it is.
I don't believe for one moment that the KDF population is dwindling. In fact I would say it's quite the opposite. Of the last 10 STF's I ran (PUGs), 3 of them were 5-men KDF. When was the last time you were on Qo'noS or in space near it? It is always packed with ships. When I did Mine Trap earlier this morning, more than half of us were KDF. Granted you can't estimate a population like that but to me it shows that the actualy percentage of people playing KDF is far higher than what they are claiming.

And I'm not totalling opposed to an end to the war. In fact you can't even call it a war. And remember that the vor'cha was actually a joint effort between Starfleet and the Empire. Imagine what ships we could invent now?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,757
# 30
11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwessels View Post
It might not be what you'd like to see but it is more likely - at this point in time - than true KDF content ( reading Dstahl's blogs shows that they are slowly backing off from KDF entirely ) .Let's face it :chance of them ever expanding KDF into a true faction - on par with FED - is a total of 0 % . Due to dwindling size of KDF population it's even safe to say that with every day passing that chance diminishes as well. They waited too long with the expansion for it to be viable to pour lots of resources in it . It simply isn't profitable anymore .
....sad and I wish it wasn't so , but it is.
All we know is that it appears Cryptic is prepping for the Crawfish move that we KDF expect. At this point they may be doing it strictly out of habit more than anything else.

Until Season 8 hits we know nothing for sure.

As to dwindling.. that doesn't hold much water with me at all. I see more KDF players now when I do log in than I ever have. I see more new names sporting that Trifoil blades logo and asking questions in the KDF forums as well.
Heck, even Qo'nos is experiencing slow download speeds just like the feds do at ESD becuase of it for me.
Never experienced that before at Qo'nos.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP

Last edited by bitemepwe; 11-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 PM.