Career Officer
# 41
11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I've been flying the b'rel refit for 95% of my kdf characters 1000 day+ career. I do fine in pve and do very well in pvp with hardly any deaths. I've taken out my fair share of bug ships and have out performed them (pilot error no doubt). This ships a glass cannon but if you play it right, play it smart.. It's extremely deadly. I'm glad to have the hull and shields boost. I'd prefer the tac console... But I'll gladly slot a universal console instead.

The b'rel reminds me of a Mike Tyson quote. "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth", only mike can't disapear after doing so...
Commander
# 42
11-28-2012, 12:24 AM
i am both a fed and a klingon. i have the fleet defiant and i have the brel retrofit.

if you really think the fleet defiant can do so much better, you are just wrong and/or a bad captain. due to the turnrate of the brel (and of course the skills of a good captain) you can pretty much beat everything that is not a crazy science tank. when i fly in my defiant (with a very good configuration) and i find a brel, i try everything to not get closer than f.e. 3km because if he gets too close, he can turn circles around me and i can shoot him with what? turrets? for sure..

so all the whining on the kdf side this time (and as you see, i am kdf myself but i dont have a problem of the brel not getting another tactical console). if you are a good captain and you know your ship, the brel is a pretty good ship. giving it another tac console would make it overpowered. at least i would be because i have a powerful build which exploded the last time like a month ago in kerrat. one more tac console and i would beat the **** out of everyone with even more ease.
What ? Calaway.
Captain
# 43
11-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
i am both a fed and a klingon. i have the fleet defiant and i have the brel retrofit.

if you really think the fleet defiant can do so much better, you are just wrong and/or a bad captain. due to the turnrate of the brel (and of course the skills of a good captain) you can pretty much beat everything that is not a crazy science tank. when i fly in my defiant (with a very good configuration) and i find a brel, i try everything to not get closer than f.e. 3km because if he gets too close, he can turn circles around me and i can shoot him with what? turrets? for sure..

so all the whining on the kdf side this time (and as you see, i am kdf myself but i dont have a problem of the brel not getting another tactical console). if you are a good captain and you know your ship, the brel is a pretty good ship. giving it another tac console would make it overpowered. at least i would be because i have a powerful build which exploded the last time like a month ago in kerrat. one more tac console and i would beat the **** out of everyone with even more ease.
B'rels can be fun to fly, but they don't come close to the Damage potential of the Fleet Defiant. The B'rel has 2 less Tac consoles, 1 less rear weapon mount, and 1 less Ens Boff slot. This is a matter of fact. The B'rel can do some off the wall combos, but in the end they can be coutered in which case it's left w/either lack luster Damage/Sci options in a very squishy ship.

The defiant is a nimble ship in its own right and while catching a B'rel can be a PITA at times it's doable and when that happens vs quality players it's dead. Against a good team in the Arena it's a liablity since it can't survive long enough for cross resists/repairs to be effective. Once a B'rel is identified, it will be the primary target for the rest of the match since it's the softest (assuming quality players on both sides).

Some ways to decloak a B'rel: TB, EWP, Sensor Scan, GW, CPB, SNB (while it's decloaked), Misc pet AoE decloak, spec'd FoMM while TT down, Target Aux, VM.

TB, EWP, GW, VM all have benefit of reducing movement.

The B'rel is a niche ship which is basically good for a couple of TAC oriented and/or Sci oriented abilities. The 4th Eng slot does nothing to benefit either of those. They'd have been better off giving the 16k hull Fleet ship an EBC and not doing a Fleet B'rel imo.
Rihannsu
# 44
11-30-2012, 03:11 AM
B'Rel is my favourite ship. I just won 3 arenas with over 260k dmg each without dying once - with my SCI
i didn't buy it from Zen store, cause i got it as a veteran. That means NO DISCOUNT for veterans??? THANK YOU.

to the fleet b'rel:

- the hull?? lol does not really matter
- a console slot is a console slot, albeit engineering is a little strange choice. nevermind, universal consoles rock
- the price? the 5 fleet modules ... WHY? but O.K., doable.
- tier 5 shipyard. are devs kidding? for the small improvements which fleet b'Rel has do they need us to have a tier 5 shipyard? Why do FED'S get their fleet defiant on tier 3?

so i am happy there is a fleet b'rel, but i won't get to it till summer 2013, i suppose.. and it does not matter so much..

Join the premiere Romulan community now!

Last edited by duaths1; 11-30-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Captain
# 45
11-30-2012, 03:51 AM
To those of you stating that the discount isn't really a discount:

Your statement is true for those who only want to buy one or two copies of the ship. But for people with half a dozen alts waiting to be equipped with them, that discount's worth everything.

Not that I'm complaining, I'm one of the former, plus the variety of ships I'm hoping to buy is too great for any discount to compensate for.

Also, it's 5 fleet modules because it has an innate ability instead of a console.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Captain
# 46
11-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post

Nobody is discounting the B'rel as a PvP ship, especially in Kerret. That's pretty much all it's good for though. If you fly it in PvE, while it might be ok, there are other ships that outperform it in every aspect.
Captain
# 47
11-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaths1 View Post
- the price? the 5 fleet modules ... WHY? but O.K., doable.
The new ships that cost 5 Fleet Modules, I believe, are ships with built-in abilities and do not have a console that can be shared from the Z-store version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
Nobody is discounting the B'rel as a PvP ship, especially in Kerret. That's pretty much all it's good for though. If you fly it in PvE, while it might be ok, there are other ships that outperform it in every aspect.
It can handle both PvP and PvE. I still get pretty high up there in terms of damage dealt in both queues.

I've parsed my data to confirm this.
Captain
# 48
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
They should've added an additional weapon slot to the forward area of the ship. Making it 5/2.

It makes a ton of sense since it has very low tactical slots, is literally a torpedo ship AND it had to be boosted somehow.

Well.. an extra torpedo to shoot is precisely the boost it needs.

...but then again, intelligence is not PWI's strong suit these days.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Captain
# 49
12-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
They should've added an additional weapon slot to the forward area of the ship. Making it 5/2.
There are no 5 weapon forward/back slots in any ship in the game.

Quote:
...but then again, intelligence is not PWI's strong suit these days.
I am going to assume you are not really thinking about what a extra FORWARD weapon would do in a ship that can fire torpedoes under cloak.

A extra Tactical console could grant you 30% more base damage at best, a 5th weapon slot would give it about 25% more damage PLUS all the Tactical consoles extra damage on top.

GROSSLY overpowered.

Also dont say it have "low" tactical consoles, it have 3 and many "tactical" cruisers also have 3, low means 2 consoles that is what you find in the Galaxy-R, Interpid-R or the non Tactical Oddys (just Tactical I could point out the Steamrunner only have 2 Science consoles), the BoP are meant to be jack-of-all trades that is why they have a equal number of consoles until the Fleet system come about and we got the Ning'tao 4/2/3 and the Fleet Ning'tao 4/3/3.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 12-03-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 50
12-03-2012, 08:23 PM
I still like the stats.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.