Ensign
# 1 Graphic FX Stuttering
11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Well, after S7.. it seems when I am in the game, certain FX load stalling seems to be happening.

Example, in the Cure (space), when rotating about to check on Kang, STO seems to freeze a second.. then catch up. Also, It seems sometimes when firing at a enemy, some of the weapon do not fire.. (auto)

Went as far as lowering all FX to low, and still kinda happens. (on a Strabase 24.. when asteroids pop up, minor stuttering)

Running the latest Nvidia Drivers... 306.97, Win 7 with 8GB on a TI 560.

Just looking for any suggestions, otherwise, might try to hunt down previous drivers.. see if a rollback makes a difference.

Thanks

Adml Matt
Career Officer
# 2
11-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm experiencing the same but on a lesser degree. I'm running dual 580s and have it set for DX11 beta. Not gonna lie the Season 7 patch did something to the gfx engine. I occasionally get a pixel shader error at the launch of the game in the lower left hand corner of the screen. All my settings are maxed but enabling vertical sync seems to take a chunk out of the stuttering. The stuttering isn't bad enough to ruin my game but can be annoying at times. Focus on the combat and you will hardly notice it. Your 560 should be more than enough to handle this game at max if you haven't set to DX11 try it out. Running on DX9 seemed to have more problems for me.

Drivers are 306.97 Windows 8 Pro with 6GB of RAM
Captain
# 3
11-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Do you mean this issue: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=414741 or hopefully for you something less serious.

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 11-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Pretty much what it is micro stuttering i'm more inclined to believe it could be drivers the nvidia drivers are notorious for this problem however the recent patch seems to have triggered it.
Ensign
# 5
11-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Do you mean this issue: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=414741 or hopefully for you something less serious.
Well seems similar to what they are mentioning... would love to know if any AMD/ATI folks having the same issues.

Guess we will wait and see.. if they work on fixes.. in the mean time will go watch some paint dry and grass grow.
Ensign
# 6
12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm having a similar issue as well. It sometimes happens in space, but ALWAYS happens while on foot.

When I run around at all the game gets choppy like my computer is having trouble running the game. The entire game with hitch for half a second every 5-8(ish) seconds that I'm running around or moving the camera quickly. It's especially annoying when it hitches then my camera is facing a completely different directions which disorients me.

The smoothing option under troubleshooting did absolutely nothing for me. I heard somewhere that switching to DX11 would help the problem, but for some reason the option to use DX11 isn't listed under troubleshooting. The problem happens whether I'm on max setting or everything is set to minimum settings.

I have an Nvidia GTX 590, 8 gigs of ram and an intel i7 quad core @ 3.40.

Both the newest drivers and the previous drivers had the same problem for me. I haven't tested older drivers, nor am I willing to sacrifice performance in other games for this one game even if that does happen to be the problem.

I can play pretty much any game out there on max settings without any problems. I play a lot of PC games and this is the first time this computer has every had graphical issues like this in the year or so that I've had it. Also, this is not latency. People in game always seem to try to convince me that it's latency. I've been playing MMO' since EQ1 launched, I know the difference between latency and graphical issues. =P

Anyway, does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone know of a fix to this problem or have any suggestions? Would love to continue playing the game, but I'm just getting sick of this issue. Really don't want to quit playing.
Republic Veteran
# 7
12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidienboulve View Post
I'm having a similar issue as well. It sometimes happens in space, but ALWAYS happens while on foot.

When I run around at all the game gets choppy like my computer is having trouble running the game. The entire game with hitch for half a second every 5-8(ish) seconds that I'm running around or moving the camera quickly. It's especially annoying when it hitches then my camera is facing a completely different directions which disorients me.

The smoothing option under troubleshooting did absolutely nothing for me. I heard somewhere that switching to DX11 would help the problem, but for some reason the option to use DX11 isn't listed under troubleshooting. The problem happens whether I'm on max setting or everything is set to minimum settings.

I have an Nvidia GTX 590, 8 gigs of ram and an intel i7 quad core @ 3.40.

Both the newest drivers and the previous drivers had the same problem for me. I haven't tested older drivers, nor am I willing to sacrifice performance in other games for this one game even if that does happen to be the problem.

I can play pretty much any game out there on max settings without any problems. I play a lot of PC games and this is the first time this computer has every had graphical issues like this in the year or so that I've had it. Also, this is not latency. People in game always seem to try to convince me that it's latency. I've been playing MMO' since EQ1 launched, I know the difference between latency and graphical issues. =P

Anyway, does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone know of a fix to this problem or have any suggestions? Would love to continue playing the game, but I'm just getting sick of this issue. Really don't want to quit playing.
^This.
My computer will get choppy every 10-15 seconds and stutter. Sometimes to a higher degree than other times.

I can't figure out if it's the server hitching or what. These stutters are irritating and have been in the game for me since S7 launched..more noticeably since Q's Winter Wonderland launched it seems...

Getting rid of shadow occlusion helped my framerate which was bogged after S7, but that hitching always happens now. Once again, never had this issue when I started playing during S6.
Career Officer
# 8
12-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Note: This method is only recommended to be done by advanced users., It only applies to Windows 7/8 X64 and X32 and only in systems using more than 2 physicial CPU's and/or more than 2 "logical" cores

• Go to Regedit
  • Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "
  • Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "
  • This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able
  • Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero
  • You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [in my system it was only found twice]
  • Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

This will allow better load balancing across all you CPU cores - no spiking and will be one less variable to help fix micro-stutter in games and programs.
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.

Last edited by th3xr34p3r; 12-11-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
12-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I've been experiencing alot of video stuttering since S7 arrived as well.

It seems to be tied to draw in, as it happens at the same points on any given map, particularly on the ground. I first noticed it on Tribble, and the issue has persisted ever since.

I haven't been playing much lately, so I haven't looked into it or reported the problem, but now that I'm eyeing the Breen ship it's getting beyond frustrating. I've managed to win 1 out of 10 races in Q's winter wonderland due to severe video stuttering at the same points on the track every time.

I have tried lowering every video option to the lowest available with no effect. I ensured I have the latest AMD/ATI drivers for my 5770, disabled any resource hogging background apps and even reinstalled STO completely with no success.

I don't think its a hardware issue, as I've experienced no issues in other games.

I'm hoping this gets ironed out soon.
Ensign
# 10
12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
I was experiencing this stuttering earlier today as well. After a thorough examination, I found the problem to be with my network card, specifically uTorrent. Whenever I was uploading or downloading the game would stutter, especially in ground mode. Quitting uTorrent caused the game to run smoothly.

It may be a networking problem that doesn't involve the torrent protocol and ST:O specifically, but I'm just posting my results because I couldn't find any other post that helped me with this problem.