it's like a extra torpedo weapon without giving up a front slot. Sure, you'll give up a turret, but that's such a puny weapon anyway.
A single turret does more overall damage than the cutting beam when your count in rapid fire and scatter volley. I did multiple tests to confirm exactly that, because I personally didn't want to believe it, I wanted to use the cutting beam.
If your intent is to use that cutting beam, it should be primarily because you want the 3 piece set bonus.
First, a turret is a puny thing to waste. Barely noticeable. From what I understand, the KCB deals almost the same damage as the 180deg torp, so not bad.
In addition, there are at least 3 good reasons why I can't use a regular torp:
- I have no fore slots available for torps, and I sure ain't gonna let the enemies out of my DHC arc.
- I have no free Boff stations to fit torp abilities in anyway.
- I don't have any points in "Projectile Weapons". The cutting beam is affected by energy weapon skill, so I don't have to waste a single skillpoint in projectile weapons.
Sure, it's no magical super weapon, but it should be able to hold it's own.
Agreed, This weapon is better than people think. I was skeptical at first when looking at the stats, but I actually used it a lot for the first time (on HOSE, SB24, etc) last night and I actually do like it.
Why? It is like having a 360 degree torp and the recharge time is pretty quick. Yes, dps is lower, but the low recharge time allows you to keep steady pressure on your target.
I run a Fleet Defiant with DHC's and Quad cannons.... and turrets with the Cutting Beam in the aft. From what I have seen, you don't really take an energy hit in firing it.
I also have the Assimilated Console in the build, so the Omega Weapon Power proc is there...not exactly sure of the bonus there yet, but seems interesting.
Valid point, but please be aware, the proc is not per SHOT it is per weapon cycle!
Which is the same for the borg Cutting Beam: one shot one cycle, because the Cutting Beam is a constant beam!
So this means with every 40th shot of your beam you get the proc (as an average value).
I am not fully sure, but this means every ~ 160seconds you can see this proc for 3 seconds.
Too bad if you BOff skills hare on cooldown during that 3 seconds...
Actually, I believe the proc applies to all your energy weapons, not just the cutting beam.
I must say I'm disappointed at how the Kinetic Cutting Beam currently works, mostly because it just isnt a Cutting Beam. Right now its just a Beam Turret that deals Kinetic damage.
A Cutting Beam is supposed to be a beam of directed laser energy used to cut open the hull. Because its a small laser its energy output is too low to damage shields, that's why the Borg first brought down the shields of the Enterprise-D in the TNG episode "Q Who" (2x16) before slicing open the hull.
The Cutting Beam thats currently ingame acts exactly like any other weapon when it hits shields: 90% of the damage it normally deals is being dealt to the shields and the other 10% bleeds through to the hull.
The Cutting Beam also shouldnt be affected by any skills, stats or abilities because its main use is to make a surgical cut in the hull.
What I'd like to see as a real Cutting Beam is something that doesn't damage the shields whatsoever and deals lots of damage to the hull, comparable to a torpedo hit, when the shield facing is down.
I run an Excelsior cannon boat captained by a Tactical officer and there might be some merit to replacing one rear turret with the cutting beam. I see this as mostly a cruiser weapon and a replacement for a torpedo launcher.
My ship is an all disruptor single cannon/turret build, with cannon scatter volley 2, attack pattern beta 1, and the obligatory tac team 1. I found it's not worth the effort to mount a torpedo on a cruiser since I don't have the tac slots to make it worthwhile, plus it's hard to keep an enemy in a 90 degree front arc reliably, even in an excelsior.
The cutting beam on the other hand, doesn't suffer from the 90 degree angle restriction which means I can use it at any time, and it doesn't use up a front mount, which keeps my heavy hitting weapons in place.
I lose some area of effect DPS, but not huge amounts (I didn't notice the loss of a turret when I was playing with Tricobalt mines). But I do gain some reliable single target DPS, especially against unshielded targets.
I can't see where this weapon would be effective for escorts, who can mount torpedos and back them up with BOFF skills and have the maneuverability to use them when needed. It's probably not a science vessel thing either. But it has some promise for cruisers.