Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 11
11-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuwarrior View Post
The only problem I have with space combat is thats its not full 360 degree motion.
I already did a post on this and someone said , be in defaint and you have you will throw up. So why cant we have a "B" mode for space?

And reagrding you say space needs more trek feel I AGREE

sorry
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjerrom View Post
Please don't all hate me internet Trolls, but the space combat in this game could do with a littl more having a Star Trek feel to it. Having less ships but harder to destroy, mostly 1 on 1 + with a litl more ship coms to it? Also crazy idea have no idea how you could do this but wouldnt it be cool if you could zoom right into inside your bridge! Star Trek Academy had this and would make a great update don't you think fellow players....

TimJ.
PWE you read it now do it.... set explosive consoles that will kill our boffs in first minutes of combat , crapy shields that cant stand long battles , put settings of borg NPC to impossible or very very very hard so they can be only destroyed from fleet of 50 ships or more , set the rules of federation on 100% so we cant engage somebody without diplomacy/self defense and give us warp breach few times in combat.

Im evil and i love it .
Ensign
# 13
11-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Ah yes, how about that TNG feel?

96% of fights end with the baddie backing down. Why?

No budget for special effects.
Career Officer
# 14
11-30-2012, 06:54 AM
If it was really trek all those galaxy cruisers would explode in the first minute from containment failures before their shields got to 80%.

But really, the game's space and ground combat is just too fast. Ground combat was very cover and accuracy based in series, they never mowed through dozens and dozens of enemies. Space combat was slow, many scenes were abbreviated for special effects reasons, but even the defiant lasted 2 minutes with their shields down against 2 klingon ships. Of course Voyager's shields seemed to last 2 hits half the time too.. so its hard to tell.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Some more flavor options like being able to hide shield rings for example.

My Christmas wish; to be able to retain the battle damage skin(just the appearance)when I am in the Wrath of Khan mood.

From a purely combat mechanic standpoint, I would like to see more random warp-in encounters. Knowing I have to kill 6 groups in Deferi Outpost 3 takes all the surprise away. Not knowing if help will be summoned would be nice.
Captain
# 16
11-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
I kind of agree, space battles just don't feel massive enough, the ships we are flying are huge with firepower that could lay waste to a planet. Sound effects are a big part of the problem, weapons fire and explosions should have a deep rumble, more kaboom and less pew pew if you understand what I mean.
As for zooming to the bridge this has been discussed ad-nauseum and for the most part seems outside of the game engines abilities. It's never a good idea to compare this game with a different Star Trek product and think that features of one could work with another.
As for 360 degree motion, while I agree, it's space, so there is no limitation on degrees of freedom, but it should be remembered that you rarely see in the movies or tv series scenes where a ship is flying inverted or at right angles. All of the motion scenes always give a sense of up and down, banking instead of rolling, ascending instead of flying straight up, more like the limited maneuverability of large aircraft or submersibles as opposed to the aerobatics of a fighter jet, rolling into a dive on a target is something you normally don't see the big ships doing.
Don't feel massive enough? Do a 10v10 PvP and see the problem with that.

If it's enemies you want, do the No-win scenario or a Foundry mission with lots of NPC enemies to shoot at.

Also, on the 360 degree maneuverability: Even if the starships in Star Trek didn't appear to obey some principle of gravity, we still wouldn't have that sort of maneuvering in this game. . .and for two good reasons. One, the game engine isn't designed for that. Two, human beings aren't designed for that. Do people have any idea how disorienting 360 degree combat mechanics would be through a 2D screen of limited capabilities?
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
11-30-2012, 08:34 PM
you know what I want ? to give space combat a more trek feel ? let me fight space battles from my captains chair on my bridge....
Major Xi'Zzin
I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
I have never trusted humans, and I never will
Career Officer
# 18
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oridjerraa View Post
Some more flavor options like being able to hide shield rings for example.

My Christmas wish; to be able to retain the battle damage skin(just the appearance)when I am in the Wrath of Khan mood.

From a purely combat mechanic standpoint, I would like to see more random warp-in encounters. Knowing I have to kill 6 groups in Deferi Outpost 3 takes all the surprise away. Not knowing if help will be summoned would be nice.
hit esc > basic > sheild fx to off
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Career Officer
# 19
12-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoriansrus View Post
you know what I want ? to give space combat a more trek feel ? let me fight space battles from my captains chair on my bridge....
is exactly what im on about, to be able to fully zoom into your bridge and control space battles from there, Star Trek Bridge Commander did it fine why can't Star Trek Online?

TimJ.
Captain
# 20
12-05-2012, 01:25 AM
My 2 ECs. Give us FULL 3D combat. Not just semi 3D, but FULL. I want to be able to go full vertical, do barrel rolls, etc. That would be fun XD. Albeit not really trek, but fun nonetheless.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.