Lieutenant
# 11
11-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Glad we got the fixes out in a reasonable amount of time. And a special thanks to the few folks in this community that provided thorough repro steps and explanations for what, exactly, was happening.

In the future, if any of you come across something this major in the future and are uncomfortable discussing it openly on the forums, please feel free to PM myself, PWEBranflakes or ArchonCryptic directly. These sorts of bugs need thorough documentation and explanation before we can track down the root causes, and just making a post that says nothing other than "Voldemort is back!" is approximately 0% helpful. Especially since multiple different bugs have been given that nickname, now.
So when people reported this on tribble, they must not have told you the exact way to reproduce it. That explains why you released it to live anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindsmygears1 View Post
So when people reported this on tribble, they must not have told you the exact way to reproduce it. That explains why you released it to live anyway.
Lol...I'm copy/pasting this from another forum discussing this same topic.

"It would be like ford releasing a new car that knowing it has a tendency to have its brake lines blow apart while driving. Can you imagine ford coming out and saying

"These sorts of bugs need thorough documentation and explanation before we can track down the root causes, and just making a post that says nothing other than "I have no brakes! is back!" is approximately 0% helpful"
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 13
11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Good to know in the "future" we can do that since in the "past" you guys banned people for doing that

Thanks for fixing it in the "present" though
Actually, exploits should never be posted on the forums PM those directly to one of the 3 of us and/ or file a GM ticket (emphasis on "and"). Bugs with repo steps are fine, but you know when something is an exploit It seems that this voldy was a bug.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Commander
# 14
11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
I thought I understood the relationship between bugs, exploits, and exploiting until you guys started trying to redefine them. What part of abusing buggy programming is not an exploit? Where do we draw that line?

# 15
11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
Uh, what's a Voldy bug?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwrathforever View Post
It's best that you don't never know it...
Quote:
Good to know in the "future" we can do that since in the "past" you guys banned people for doing that

Thanks for fixing it in the "present" though
Future, past, present... ??? Oh... I see. It was a Temporal Lock Box thing? Hahahahaha...

Still doesn't know about Voldy, but since I don't PvP, I guess I'll be content in my ignorance and happy that it's fixed.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Career Officer
# 16
11-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Actually, exploits should never be posted on the forums PM those directly to one of the 3 of us and/ or file a GM ticket (emphasis on "and"). Bugs with repo steps are fine, but you know when something is an exploit It seems that this voldy was a bug.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I'm starting to think that you don't. Exploiting is taking advantage of a bug.
Or are you saying the old Voldemort wasn't a bug? Why is the new one suddenly one.
This just seams like an excuse for allowing moderators to ban people depending on their mood.

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Captain
# 17
11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
I thought I understood the relationship between bugs, exploits, and exploiting until you guys started trying to redefine them. What part of abusing buggy programming is not an exploit? Where do we draw that line?

We didn't have to in this case, Bort said he didn't consider it an exploit.

>>The improperly written code worked as it was intended.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf

Last edited by lordmalak1; 11-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Lol...maybe Lord!
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!
Career Officer
# 19
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
I can only really guess anymore. So what is what by your definition?

A bug/exploit that's hard to do is an exploit.
A bug/exploit that's easy to do is a bug?

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Commander
# 20
11-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
Future, past, present... ??? Oh... I see. It was a Temporal Lock Box thing? Hahahahaha...

Still doesn't know about Voldy, but since I don't PvP, I guess I'll be content in my ignorance and happy that it's fixed.

Voldemort was the code word coined in reference to an issue regarding shuttles and ships gaining extra bridge officer slots.