Survivor of Romulus
# 31
11-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
The Day the Earth Stood Still is just a film, a piece of fiction ...then again, so is Star Trek.
true

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
look at the holographic one in voyager torturing a hologram

There was a Cardassian in TNG "Lower Decks" that risked his life to get a message to the Federation.
Treason (an Evil act)

Quote:
In that episode there was a dialogue between him and a Bajoran in which he stated he was tired of war. That Cardassian wasn't evil. Damar wasn't evil, he was doing what he thought right by his people. You spoke of a hologram, there was a second (female) hologram in another episode of Voyager that wasn't evil, she helped Torres I think.
Doing what is right for your people TO someone else is evil yes

Quote:
You can't sum up an entire species / country as evil because of the actions of a few individuals. Look at the war in Iraq / Iran. There were stories (some of them, quite possibly true) of US solders raping and attacking civilians. Does that make all Americans evil? No it doesn't.
political so ill skip that one
but as an ex soldier myself I can tell you if one of us did that our own people would hang us out to dry

Quote:
Just because you get a bad bunch in a crowd, it doesn't mean the entire crowd are bad people.
the whole point of trek races is they are stereo types
Ferengi are greedy , Cardassians are evil , romulans are militaristic , Klingons are proud and agressive , borg eat their own dead etc

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Thats like saying that not all Ferengi like money

Ferengi join Starfleet. Nog has joined Starfleet. I don't recall Nog being that concerned with Latinium toward the later seasons of DS9.
Ferengi join starfleet for the free health care extensive perks and easy access to Clothed females
Kinky or what??
Captain
# 32
11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Cardassians are evil
I wouldn't go so far as to call the Cardassians 'evil', but without question, they do seem to have a genetic proclivity to sadism and abusive behavior.

Quote:
Ferengi join starfleet for the free health care extensive perks and easy access to Clothed females
Kinky or what??
Career Officer
# 33
11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Treason (an Evil act)
He was trying to save lives. Hardly an evil act.

Quote:
Doing what is right for your people TO someone else is evil yes
Except not all Cardassians did bad things.

Quote:
but as an ex soldier myself I can tell you if one of us did that our own people would hang us out to dry
Not if there are a group of soldiers all thinking along the same lines. Still, whether hung out to dry or not, the act of one does not define the act of many.

Quote:
the whole point of trek races is they are stereo types
Ferengi are greedy , Cardassians are evil , romulans are militaristic , Klingons are proud and agressive , borg eat their own dead etc
The Ferengi being greedy is true, though it has exceptions (Nog). The Cardassians being evil has exceptions (already explained). The Romulans being militaristic, that one I'll give you cause I can't think of an example that shows otherwise. Klingons are proud and aggressive, again true, though they aren't all the same. Think, Gowron was Arrogant (to the point he became jealous and risked lives). Duras (and the entire family) were as dishonourable as they come. Martok was open to diplomacy and friends with the Federation. The Borg, they're essentially one person.
Lieutenant
# 34
11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
I'd love to name just one, but I can't. I hate so many. So instead, here's a list.

Bajorans -- Ro Laren was so terrible that I could never stop hating them...Kai Winn made this worse.

Kazon -- They were water pirates. Come on. WATER PIRATES. Ridiculous.

Talaxians -- They were just so ugly.

Zakdorn -- That guy that couldn't beat Data was just annoying, arrogant, and hideous.

Klingons -- Their culture made no sense at all. It was either terrible writing or they were intended to be extreme hypocrites.
Empire Veteran
# 35
11-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I have several that I really hate in no particular order, except for humans which are the worst of the lot for all the painfully obvious reasons. The rest of the species are aesthetically repulsive or just a stupid concept.. some are both.

1 Humans
2 Kazon
3 Chalnoth
4 Xindi Reptilians
5 Sheliak
6 Suliban
7 All the cat species - Antican, Caitian, etc
8 Antedean
9 Pakleds
10 Tellarite
Career Officer
# 36
11-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Pointing out that you are a soldier merely means your position is biased. Any soldier of any allegiance would say the same.

The objective reality is, though, military culture is a constant, and defends despicable acts by its own all the time. It doesn't matter what flag one fights under or what one's reasons personally are for fighting. The practice of organized violence is necessary amoral.

Last edited by aestu; 11-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Captain
# 37
11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Take the army-nazi-soldier-race debate elsewhere,
This thread is about xenophobia to star trek species!
Captain
# 38
11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
Hear hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Hey! I like Isabella's race! It was much more creative than most ST races. Short version for those who didn't see Imaginary Friend: her race is as far from humanoid as you can get. The race not only doesn't live in a Class-M environment but doesn't live on planets at all. Instead, they live in the Nebula FGC 47. The members of her race are apparently made of of some sort of energized plasma. I really wish they'd get used again.
Day of the Dove, is one of the greatest Star Trek episodes ever, but after the "Glowy mist gets on board and starts trolling/killing/hijacking the bodies of redshirts" plot got reused so many times in TNG, VOY, ENT, and the shenanigans with the Prophets, it's just so boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
But anyways.... Back to Klingons. Truthfully, yeah some humans are just as bad with that honor crap as Klingons are, there are some with actual brains though.
Klingons are Aliens. Sure a lot of them look like hypocrites by human standards, but they're Klingons. They have Klingon standards.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 39
11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormak View Post
Klingons -- Their culture made no sense at all. It was either terrible writing or they were intended to be extreme hypocrites.
That's the problem with TV. One writer wants evil space commies. The next one wants to do samurai in space. The next writer wants space vikings. The next wants Game of Thrones with Targs.
# 40
11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
Them spoon-headed Cardie bastards been messin' wit' the Bajoran womenz again!

Better?
[Edit to add]
Just to clarify, the Cardassians're actually one of my favorite-written ST races