1.) I Would say yes, it's got the shield tankiness of a science ship, but the capability to pack a punch like escorts. Not to mention, it's the nicest looking.
2.) My tac captian has not used it yet, but my engi is using the tact one. I'd reccomend going with 2 aux cannons and torpedos on the front, and setting your powers to full AUX, whilst running turrets or projectiles on the back
3.) Yup, the set bonuses are extremely usefull, especially if you don't like borg torpedos.
I would not recommend for or against it, as I do not command science ships in general. However, there are two things I did want to note:
* With the Vesta, you will need to have at least one pretty good science BOff, and you may have to do significant respecing in order to take advantage of it. Remember, Science has its own dedicated starship skill tree, and it's fairly expensive. I'm not sure which abilities use what, but I'm pretty sure if you're thinking of using things such as Gravity Well or Viral Matrix, you're going to need to sink a hefty chunk of points into it.
* In my experience with the Odyssey, the consoles for the set bonus are a nice boost. Some disagree with me and recommend using only one (or no) consoles from the Odyssey, but I would advise try it anyway. Of course, the Vesta and Odyssey are two different ships, so your mileage may vary, but as they're both "king of the hill" of their particular ship category, I imagine there are some similarities in design thinking on that particular aspect. That said, I do believe the Odyssey shines most with the three-pack, particularly due to how versatile it becomes for you to configure as you see fit.
First - english is not my mother tongue language so i am very sorry if there are any spelling errors.
I have a tactical Captain that successfully flies a Heavy Escort Carrier and
a Science Captain that actually flies an atrox carrier.
As i am interested in a Vesta (the 3-Pack Bundle) here are my questions regarding the tac captain:
- Is the tactical Vesta a good choice ?
- Is any of the escort-using tac captains here using a vesta and has some advice/experience to share ?
- Is it a good way to put all unique vesta-consoles of the bundle on one ship ?
- Would you recommend buying the vesta pack in order to use it on a tac captain ?
Regarding my science captain, the vesta would be a good fit, but my tac captain has the higher priority.
Thank you very much in advance.
I use it, and love it plus if you buy the bundle, you can mix up the look if you do not like it. it is basically the DPS variant of the three
I used to fly a fleet defiant, and changed from that to the Vesta, and I did not regret it, it is a versitile ship, you can even fly it like an Armitage (basically you give up a front weaopn for more CC). however if you wanna fly it like an escort, I would say stay on your armitage (I dont like that ship, that is why my choice is the aventine instead, plus I love CC )
if you buy the bundle (which I didnt, for me it wasnt worth it), they are pretty useful to use together. I would have problems chosing which one of my other consoles should I lose in favor for the vesta consoles, but together they give you some nice bonuses, so use them if you buy them
yep. I fly it on a sci and deal more DPS than an avg escort, so in a tac you could deal some serious dmg.
the 3 set bonus from the vesta is awesome. its pretty much the "holy crap were gonna die" avoiding button. i run all 3 in my sci section, with a field gen for extra sheild kick.
the phaser lance is a lil weak, but meh. the grav sheild and healing field will help keep your team alive alot longer.
also you can run 3 of the new AUX cannons that come with the vesta, there not limited to 1 per ship like the quad cannons. so i run all 3 forward, with advanced fleet turrents in rear. 3x phaser relays and my borg console. i run the tachynetic console(more crit chance, plus turn bonus) and 1 hull plating (parametalic, elctrosceramic or dibernum as per mission) in engy slot
you will lose some dps, as you only have the 3 forward slots instead of 4. so i dont bother with a torp, but with omega set i get the extra sheild depelting bonus. you could also run a dual beam bank if you want to use subsyetm targeting thats comes with it.
This is coming from a tactical captain who also runs a decked out mobius. The Vesta has numerous options to keep opponents off-balance. It can pack dual cannons and DHC's, Danube Runabouts, has subsystem targetting, and sensor analysis. I thoroughly stomped my fleet member's Atrox in initial test duels even though I don't normally use sci-ships.
The Vesta's sole weakness is its slightly lower hull strength, but its good shield levels and oh-cr@p-save-me consoles compensate for the latter.