Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
I have an idea for moving people and even items into space. Without using using a rocket to get them up there. Now before you laugh just hear me out.

The idea is based on watching this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CnH7ZqR6MM

Now if I recall he was on the edge of space at that point of his jump, and that got me thinking. What if there was away to pull you up from that point into outter space.

The idea is have a orbiting system, that will move around the planet, lower a drag capture hookup, then it could grab on to your balloon setup and pull you the rest of the way up. It could be a remote drone type robot, and once it has you pulled up, it would dock you to the space station.

Ok it's just an idea lol. But it could work right?

So what are you ideas?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Admit the earth is flat and walk off the edge??

(joke)
Career Officer
# 3
12-01-2012, 11:14 AM
One of my professors loved talking about "space elevators". We spent a couple weeks studying them. You should google them if you're thinking along these lines, they're pretty cool.
I miss my _.
Captain
# 4
12-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Until some exotic way of moving people to space comes around like transporters, then space elevators seems to be the most reliable way. I suppose it is not necessary to have it touch the ground and use a plane to dock with the bottom. However, each would have different problems to solve.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
The space elevator concept was largely abandoned decades ago (you can't make a material strong enough)
Some scientists also mentioned Whiplash effects
Republic Veteran
# 6
12-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Quantum physics allows you to momentarily be in two places at the exact same time.

So my answer is Quantum Transporters.

You step on the transporter. Enter your destination. For an inconceivable and imperceptible amount of time, you exist in two locations at once. But as far as you are concerned, you disappeared in one location and appeared in the other.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Captain
# 7
12-01-2012, 12:03 PM
A 50 gallon drum full of black powder, some duct tape, and a match.
Career Officer
# 8
12-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Technologically, either a space elevator or a mass driver.

Financially, the best way to fund it would be a special progressive head tax, from $40 to $25,000 per person per year, depending on earnings bracket. I recommend making it a special tax because people will be more willing to fund something if the amount is fixed and for a specific purpose rather than getting funneled into the general fund - they can make the connection between their remittance and what the state is doing with it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
12-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Why fund it at all?
it has little or no value to mankind
Captain
# 10
12-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Cat-a-pult!

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.