Login

Career Officer
# 11
12-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Why fund it at all?
it has little or no value to mankind
Moving industrial production to space would have huge ecological benefits, and reduce the cost of production so dramatically that it would make material costs essentially irrelevant.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
12-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Except it wouldn't

the Elevator alone would cost more than any possible savings
Industrial production in space is not economically viable (every scrap of material has to be sent up , oxygen provided , workers housed (mechanical options are Not practical in zero g)etc)

We could easily produce anything we need on earth at a vastly reduced cost.
The first thing is to remove the "profit" element then reduce the redundant costs.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
12-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Linear Accelerator.

LOTS of pillows.

There has been talk about the applications of foamed metals produced in space as well as perfect crystals.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 12-01-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Career Officer
# 14
12-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
the Elevator alone would cost more than any possible savings
Industrial production in space is not economically viable (every scrap of material has to be sent up , oxygen provided , workers housed (mechanical options are Not practical in zero g)etc)
Investment. The early settlers of the Americas were reliant on the old world, too, until they got established.

Every element on Earth can be found elsewhere, just not with the diversity Earth has to offer. Savings on ecological precautions and lower gravity makes it worthwhile. And yes, as Thlay says, it is possible to build many goods to higher specification in space.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
We have no idea what elements exist in space but the key ones are not common in our solar system (oxygen and water (yes I know only one is technically an element))
And a "higher spec" in space comes at a higher cost

And you say investment I say 70% of the earth is under used
we have billions in poverty and starvation
We should fix this planet before damaging any others
Career Officer
# 16
12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Actually, thanks to clever use of spectral imaging, we do have a pretty good idea of the composition of other worlds.

Ganymede and Europa are rich in water - in fact they are water worlds - and Mars and Titan have enough oxygen to meet human needs, provided it is refined with nuclear, solar or even wind power.
Career Officer
# 17
12-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
And you say investment I say 70% of the earth is under used
we have billions in poverty and starvation
We should fix this planet before damaging any others
Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe we shouldn't "use" the entire world. Maybe the natural environment is important and has a right to exist too.

Poverty and starvation aren't caused by shortages, they are caused by politics and human stupidity. I do agree with Roddenberry and JFK's belief that to fix those problems, we must broaden man's horizons. That is the moral imperative for a space program.

What space has to offer is a new challenge that doesn't involve inventing new ways of blowing each other up. The challenge of space can ensure prosperity not only through influx of material resources but also diffusing human energy and aspirations into development instead of warfare.
Captain
# 18
12-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Think angry birds, and a really high mountain...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
12-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Spectral imaging systems are not a proven tech (and no those AREN'T water worlds they are tiny little hostile moons)
Career Officer
# 20
12-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Spectral imaging systems are not a proven tech
Yes they are, we use them terrestially on a day-to-day basis to determine the composition of chemical compounds - take a midlevel chem course at your local community college.

Quote:
(and no those AREN'T water worlds they are tiny little hostile moons)
Don't be racist against moons. They're worlds, just like planets.