Ensign
# 671 Fixed!
12-01-2012, 08:35 AM
I just fixed this for myself.

I thought for a bit it was my ISP being blocked (I have Verizon FiOS) or something, because traceroute was failing externally (i.e., nowhere near Verizon), so I didn't think much of it until I was at a neighbor's who also had FiOS. Tried a ping from there and it worked.

Comparing our settings, I noticed I had a 96.*.*.* IP address, while he had 98.*.*.*. Ping testing worked, and I noticed it was literally just one more hop to the server I needed, so it was almost definitely being blocked at the firewall. The only reason for this would be a specific block of my IP addy or IP range, and the only reason I can think of for that would be that someone noticed suspicious traffic coming in from the vicinity of my address and perhaps just did a blanket blocking of the entire octet. That, or (I had the severe misfortune of inheriting an IP address from a shady individual when I moved into this new apartment.)

The solution, then, was to get a new IP address. Releasing and renewing my IP on my router did not work, I kept getting the same IP from Verizon. I had to call support and specifically request their assistance in getting a new IP. Ultimately, they had to break my IP Lease on their end first, then my release and renew from my Actiontec router functioned correctly, and I ended up with a completely different IP, conveniently also with 96 as the first octet. Ping tests were successful immediately after that.

TL;DR: Call your ISP and ask them to get you a new public IP address. Make sure to note your old one at a site like ipchicken.com, and don't let them off the line until you're able to get a new one.

Hope that helps folks. This has been bothering me for a while now but now it's fixed.
Ensign
# 672 Time to stop paying.
12-01-2012, 09:20 AM
This launcher update problems is way past time to be fixed.
I actually pay to be subscribed to this game mainly to show my support.

I shouldn't have to search on the forums for the latest game.exe.

I shouldn't have to put a third party program (hotspot) on my computer to play something I pay for.

After reading all the posts, and the "help" .. it's pretty obvious what the problem is.

Some where at the game servers, they have several ranges of IP addresses blocked, for whatever reason.

That's why you need a vpn to access the game (poorly).

If they feel it's necessary to just do a blanket block of addresses without consideration for their customers (PAYING customers), then they obviously don't want my business.

December will be my final payment. I suggest others do the same. Maybe THAT will get their attention.
Ensign
# 673
12-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphoenix View Post
This launcher update problems is way past time to be fixed.
I actually pay to be subscribed to this game mainly to show my support.

I shouldn't have to search on the forums for the latest game.exe.

I shouldn't have to put a third party program (hotspot) on my computer to play something I pay for.

After reading all the posts, and the "help" .. it's pretty obvious what the problem is.

Some where at the game servers, they have several ranges of IP addresses blocked, for whatever reason.

That's why you need a vpn to access the game (poorly).

If they feel it's necessary to just do a blanket block of addresses without consideration for their customers (PAYING customers), then they obviously don't want my business.

December will be my final payment. I suggest others do the same. Maybe THAT will get their attention.
Read the post right before yours. I'm guessing either some overzealous network administrator or firewall software is blocking ranges of the last octet due to people trying to hack the system instead of individual IPs (Probably assuming whoever is doing something has access to more than one IP in the range), and we just got caught up in it.

Every ISP is going to have access to more than that, though, since only 252 devices at most can live in the space of that last octet. If you get a new one from your ISP, there's a very good chance it'll fall outside of the blocked range.

Is it an inconvenience? Sure, but then, so is trying to contact Cryptic/PerfectWorld and trying to get the phone support people (who are experienced in helping end users) to believe that the problem is on Cryptic's side and not yours (spoiler: They won't) and that they need to escalate it to the networking team. After all that, there's very little chance they'll do anything about it, and you'll up back at square one. It makes zero sense to take that route because it's far more work on your part with likely very little payoff. Try convincing ANY company that they should become more lax in their network security policies, no matter how unreasonable those policies are, and see how far you get.

Seriously, just get a new IP. Unless you're running a successful ecommerce website out of your home and the downtime will impact your revenue stream, or have a lot of preconfigured clients logging in via VPN, 99.999% of people won't notice any change at all. In fact, your ISP network troubleshooting support will be THRILLED that you know exactly what you want to do. It's super easy for them, and they can also be confident the voluntary procedure you're asking them to do won't break anything.

I jury-rigged my cell phone to feed another IP to my network for testing purposes and was able to get STO to run that way too, but this is way easier, cheaper, and more permanent.

Last edited by dreadnutbutter; 12-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Ensign
# 674
12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd also like to point out that a VPN would be a great option if your entire ISP was being blocked, or you were being locked out by region (e.g., someone living in Singapore trying to access Netflix in America, or someone trying to play on European servers with friends there and unable to because they're in Canada). For this though, it's complete overkill... and actually way more likely to be blocked, considering VPNs and Proxies are usually used by people who try to hide their activities.

Given that Cryptic is already blocking stuff at the drop of a hat, it stands to reason most of those IPs are already blocked, or likely going to be blocked at some point in the future.

When you use public VPNs and proxies, you're not only throttling your internet speed, but you also potentially give unknown outside parties the opportunity to snoop through all of your network traffic. They could potentially pick up passwords, addresses, credit card information, etc. I'd discourage their use whenever possible, especially when you have an easy alternative.
Commander
# 675
12-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnutbutter View Post
I'd also like to point out that a VPN would be a great option if your entire ISP was being blocked, or you were being locked out by region (e.g., someone living in Singapore trying to access Netflix in America, or someone trying to play on European servers with friends there and unable to because they're in Canada). For this though, it's complete overkill... and actually way more likely to be blocked, considering VPNs and Proxies are usually used by people who try to hide their activities.

Given that Cryptic is already blocking stuff at the drop of a hat, it stands to reason most of those IPs are already blocked, or likely going to be blocked at some point in the future.

When you use public VPNs and proxies, you're not only throttling your internet speed, but you also potentially give unknown outside parties the opportunity to snoop through all of your network traffic. They could potentially pick up passwords, addresses, credit card information, etc. I'd discourage their use whenever possible, especially when you have an easy alternative.
I'll second this on the grounds that PWE doesn't like proxies either, and using one will more likely than not end up earning you a temp ban.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Ensign
# 676
12-01-2012, 07:32 PM
You guys are totally missing the point.
This is a server side issue. It's not being over zealous, it's sloppy and lazy,
And horrible customer support. I'm not jumping thru hoops to Bypass THEIR issue.

And more importantly-
Posts on forums represent a very very small portion of the customer base.
You have to wonder how many hundreds, if not thousands of players have been
Affected by this..
Most aren't going to check the forums. And of those that do, even fewer will understand
What they need to do to get the game working.
And you can bet alot have quit completely just because
The game isn't working for them.

Losing customers is bad enough when everyone is paying .
This is F2P and it depends on c-store purchases for income plus the people
That do actually pay to subscribe .

You like the game and wish to see it last a long time? Quit defending server side issues
Which potentially loses players.

I didn't say I wouldn't play anymore. But I'll be damned if I pay, for support like this.
Ensign
# 677 Fix :)
12-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Hi guys i just got STO working again .each time it happens i get new launcher heres link.
link is in 1st post guys n its WORKING )))

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=378891
Ensign
# 678 Crossing fingers
12-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi, I'm just now trying the new EXE & it says it's patching, but the speed is gawd-awful dialup slow. I have DSL so it should be more than able to download anything superfast, BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO. sto MUST download at the slowest speed possible. morons. Why can't they just post the update file somewhere and let each "client" to download the update at our own speeds? Whatever.

Anyways, I thought I'd post what I have from the "patch_trivia" file, just in case the new patch doesn't take.

Quote:
Trivia PatchProject StartrekClient
Trivia PatchServer patchserver.crypticstudios.com
Trivia PatchRedirectServer 208.95.184.116
Trivia PatchPort 7255
Trivia HttpServer stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com
Trivia HttpPort 80
Trivia HttpPrefix Startrek
Trivia PatchName ST.25.20121118e.10
Trivia PatchBranch 25
Trivia PatchSandbox ST.25.20121118e.0
Trivia PatchRevision 18957
Trivia PatchTime 1354228020
Trivia PatchTimeReadable "2012-11-29 17:27:00"
Trivia PatchIncrementalRevision 18871
Trivia PatchIncrementalFrom 1353322796
Trivia PatchIncrementalFromReadable "2012-11-19 05:59:56"
Trivia PatchCmdLine "-sync -project StartrekClient -server patchserver.crypticstudios.com -port 7255 -name ST.25.20121118e.10"
Trivia CoreBranchMapping -2
Trivia PatchBranchName "Season 7"
Trivia PatchExecutable "C:/****/****/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online.exe"
So there ya go. Hope the slow-az patch installs. I'll keep you updated whichever way it goes.
Otherwise, I'll go back to playing BGO (Battlestar Galactica) instead.

UPDATE: I did find an updated patch from Perfect World here -
I downloaded the "Patch Update" - Patch 676-679: Released 11/27/12. BUT, it's a .cup file. How/where do you use this???????

Still patching game....

2nd UPDATE: Well, after downloading-installing patch for 3 hours, it crashed. Galdarn good-for-nothing. F-YOU, CRYPTIC.

Last edited by blackack1; 12-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Ensign
# 679
12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackack1 View Post
Hi, I'm just now trying the new EXE & it says it's patching, but the speed is gawd-awful dialup slow. I have DSL so it should be more than able to download anything superfast, BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO. sto MUST download at the slowest speed possible. morons. Why can't they just post the update file somewhere and let each "client" to download the update at our own speeds? Whatever.

Anyways, I thought I'd post what I have from the "patch_trivia" file, just in case the new patch doesn't take.

So there ya go. Hope the slow-az patch installs. I'll keep you updated whichever way it goes.
Otherwise, I'll go back to playing BGO (Battlestar Galactica) instead.

UPDATE: I did find an updated patch from Perfect World here -
I downloaded the "Patch Update" - Patch 676-679: Released 11/27/12. BUT, it's a .cup file. How/where do you use this???????

Still patching game....

2nd UPDATE: Well, after downloading-installing patch for 3 hours, it crashed. Galdarn good-for-nothing. F-YOU, CRYPTIC.
In windows, run a ping test from command line (Start -> Run, type "cmd", type "ping www.startrekonline.com" in the resulting black box) and ping the STO server. If you can't reach it, no amount of patching is going to fix the problem, unless the manual patch is updating your game files to try to access a different server address.

It appears to me there may be two different problems happening here for folks. If you're unable to reach startrekonline.com or, more specifically, patchserver.crypticstudios.com, then no amount of patching is going to help. It would be like taking apart your cell phone and soldering on new chips to resolve a problem that's due to someone at the receiving end having taken the phone off the hook.
Ensign
# 680
12-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphoenix View Post
You guys are totally missing the point.
This is a server side issue. It's not being over zealous, it's sloppy and lazy,
And horrible customer support. I'm not jumping thru hoops to Bypass THEIR issue.

And more importantly-
Posts on forums represent a very very small portion of the customer base.
You have to wonder how many hundreds, if not thousands of players have been
Affected by this..
Most aren't going to check the forums. And of those that do, even fewer will understand
What they need to do to get the game working.
And you can bet alot have quit completely just because
The game isn't working for them.

Losing customers is bad enough when everyone is paying .
This is F2P and it depends on c-store purchases for income plus the people
That do actually pay to subscribe .

You like the game and wish to see it last a long time? Quit defending server side issues
Which potentially loses players.

I didn't say I wouldn't play anymore. But I'll be damned if I pay, for support like this.
Am I? My point was being able to play STO when I previously couldn't and not needlessly waiting forever with customer support who wouldn't be in the position actually fix a top-level problem with their network security policies. Your point seems to be playing armchair corporate strategist for an organization where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing (as is the case with most corporations).

This topic is visible to all people in the tech support branch of the organization, so hopefully someone sees it here and rectifies it, since it's in their corporate best interests.

It isn't jumping through hoops, It's jumping through a single hoop (i.e., calling your ISP support instead of STO support), instead of repeatedly ramming a brick wall with your head in the stubborn belief that the brick wall should realize you have the right of way and move.

Yes, it is a server-side issue (Well, close enough to being one, anyway). No, it's not horrible customer support. I'm sure they're doing the best they can, but they're not equipped to solve your problem. Customer support reps by nature are not network engineers. I'm sure they'd love to be, then they could add a zero to their paychecks.

At the end of the day, it's a free to play game, and you're going to get what you pay for. I'm not defending them; I just don't care. I can play now, and I did my part and let other people know how I did it. Beyond that, not my concern.