Captain
# 1 New Fighter Idea
12-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Disclaimer: This is NOT a troll post. This is a serious idea/recommendation.

New Federation Pet:

The Tribble Fighter

Hull: 500
Shields: 500
Weapons: Grappling Hook (when latched to a target has a 2% chance of permanently disabling a subsystem, as long as it's user remains alive. Also as long as the ship using it remains alive, it deals 10 damage per second to the target. Both can stack)

Special Ability: Upon destruction, this ship has a 60% chance to split into two new ships.

Number per Hangar: 2

This fighter basically just shoots grapplers at things, latches on, and then stays there. Basic idea behind it: COVER YOUR TARGET IN TRIBBLE FIGHTERS. After a point, all it's subsystems will be offline since as it kills them, they split, and multiply. And then cover it more. And more. AND MORE.

And then when the warp core breach destroys all your tribble fighters... courtesy of their special ability, you might just end up with more than you started with...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
12-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Ok for one i think this is a little over powered, sure its only 2%, but there is nothing in STO at the moment which will permanently disable a sub system, i can imagine that it would disable a sub system for x seconds and then other ones would say increase this time factpr by say X seconds.

But Tribbles splitting off, then once every subsystem is down the ship is destroyed. Way too overpowered. How does someone avoud this? I could see if your a tac captain you'd struggle with this mechanic.
Captain
# 3
12-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoric View Post
Ok for one i think this is a little over powered, sure its only 2%, but there is nothing in STO at the moment which will permanently disable a sub system, i can imagine that it would disable a sub system for x seconds and then other ones would say increase this time factpr by say X seconds.

But Tribbles splitting off, then once every subsystem is down the ship is destroyed. Way too overpowered. How does someone avoud this? I could see if your a tac captain you'd struggle with this mechanic.
Permanent subsystem disable until those fighters are destroyed. Would program it so last subsystem to go down would be weapons. Also how do you avoid it? Kill whatever is spawning these fighters, or kill the fighters themselves. It's not 100% chance of them spawning new ones, and these fighters are very squishy (500 shield and 500 hull), so one torp spread/BFAW will end it.

Something else to keep in mind: If you don't kill any of the fighters, they don't split. So if you just ignore them, you only have 4 of them latched on to you max.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.

Last edited by hereticknight085; 12-01-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Captain
# 4
12-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Not a good idea, in my opinion. I'll be looking at this from a PvP perspective.

Although you say that the chance to split is not 100%, anything over 50% will very easily get out of hand. Why, you ask?

E(X) = 0.6(1)+0.4(-1) = 0.2

This shows the statistical average for growth over time. 60% chance to add one Tribble Fighter, 40% chance to remove one. Hence, on average, you will see 0.2 growth for every fighter shot at and destroyed. This results in shooting the fighters being useless as a long-run strategy. Sure, you may luck out and destroy them all, but chances are they will multiply.

Quote:
It's not 100% chance of them spawning new ones, and these fighters are very squishy (500 shield and 500 hull), so one torp spread/BFAW will end it.
Quote:
And then when the warp core breach destroys all your tribble fighters... courtesy of their special ability, you might just end up with more than you started with...
Aren't you basically contradicting yourself? A torp spread or BFAW might just make matters worse, as in the case of the warp core breach.

Quote:
Permanent subsystem disable until those fighters are destroyed. Would program it so last subsystem to go down would be weapons. Also how do you avoid it? Kill whatever is spawning these fighters, or kill the fighters themselves.
Any permanent subsystem disable is downright OP. Viral Matrix is bad enough as it is, despite being temporary, and you want to introduce something permanent? Bear in mind that carriers are typically the toughest ships to kill in-game, alongside cruisers. On the other hand, If something like the HEC or the Vesta carries these, if Shields, Engines, or Aux go down, you are getting blown up in moments.

TLDR: The subsystem disable mechanic combined with multiplication renders such a fighter unbalanceable. Might be fun in PvE, but this is completely not fun to face in PvP.
Captain
# 5
12-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
Not a good idea, in my opinion. I'll be looking at this from a PvP perspective.

Although you say that the chance to split is not 100%, anything over 50% will very easily get out of hand. Why, you ask?

E(X) = 0.6(1)+0.4(-1) = 0.2

This shows the statistical average for growth over time. 60% chance to add one Tribble Fighter, 40% chance to remove one. Hence, on average, you will see 0.2 growth for every fighter shot at and destroyed. This results in shooting the fighters being useless as a long-run strategy. Sure, you may luck out and destroy them all, but chances are they will multiply.

Aren't you basically contradicting yourself? A torp spread or BFAW might just make matters worse, as in the case of the warp core breach.

Any permanent subsystem disable is downright OP. Viral Matrix is bad enough as it is, despite being temporary, and you want to introduce something permanent? Bear in mind that carriers are typically the toughest ships to kill in-game, alongside cruisers. On the other hand, If something like the HEC or the Vesta carries these, if Shields, Engines, or Aux go down, you are getting blown up in moments.

TLDR: The subsystem disable mechanic combined with multiplication renders such a fighter unbalanceable. Might be fun in PvE, but this is completely not fun to face in PvP.
I read your whole post. And I whole-heartedly agree. But you have to admit, it is a funny idea. And even though I said it's not a troll post, I stand by that. I would be open to reducing the split chance down to 50%, but no less. The whole idea was that there was a chance for this to get out of control, and the fighters would start to spread like tribbles.

As for the perma subsystem disable, it's a tiny chance, and really only becomes dangerous once you have something around 10 or so of them attached. Since the statistical chance of them all targeting the same subsystem is extremely low, you are still in minimal danger. Granted in the unlikely event all of them target the same subsystem, you're screwed, but think about it this way, if you or an ally shoot them off, the subsystem will come back online.

But admit it, you would love to see a swarm of tribble fighters descend upon the borg and render them helpless for you to slaughter them.
Captain
# 6
12-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I read your whole post. And I whole-heartedly agree. But you have to admit, it is a funny idea. And even though I said it's not a troll post, I stand by that. I would be open to reducing the split chance down to 50%, but no less. The whole idea was that there was a chance for this to get out of control, and the fighters would start to spread like tribbles.

As for the perma subsystem disable, it's a tiny chance, and really only becomes dangerous once you have something around 10 or so of them attached. Since the statistical chance of them all targeting the same subsystem is extremely low, you are still in minimal danger. Granted in the unlikely event all of them target the same subsystem, you're screwed, but think about it this way, if you or an ally shoot them off, the subsystem will come back online.

But admit it, you would love to see a swarm of tribble fighters descend upon the borg and render them helpless for you to slaughter them.
Yeah, I do admit it's really funny for the person using them, but not so much for the person getting hit by them. I guess they could be considered if you reduced the split chance, and restricted them to PvE as a special event item or something like that.

The subsystem disable - I get your point about it having a low proc rate. However, it still feels a bit too OP to be placed in PvP. So, in essence, yeah, a neat trick in PvE, but I retain my position that they should under no circumstance be allowed into PvP.
Captain
# 7
12-02-2012, 02:55 AM
It would be fun though. How about this?

200 life and 200 shields, armed with 1 weak phaser turret. Has 45% chance of spawning two new fighters when shot down.

Makes the players REALLY careful about using AOE attacks if you ask me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Captain
# 8
12-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
It would be fun though. How about this?

200 life and 200 shields, armed with 1 weak phaser turret. Has 45% chance of spawning two new fighters when shot down.

Makes the players REALLY careful about using AOE attacks if you ask me.
That's a bit too hard hit of the nerf hammer. I still want the grappling hooks, since the whole point would be for them to swarm over and cover a target physically, not just shoot a target to death.
Ensign
# 9
12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
so modify it, instead of shutting off a subsystem, instead, have the extra weight of the tribble fighter put too much strain on the impulse engines, therefore slowing down the ship, make it a stepped increase 1,2,3,4 etc. per tribble attached