Captain
# 11
12-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by upyournacelles2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, with your recent relocation, are you dabbling in any new consoles horizon? I know it's something me and you talked about last we spoke, and if you indeed are, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on them after having held out on using them for so long.
actually, the vesta def beam is the only console ive really ever found to be a great part of a build.

even the jump console, which i slot here and there on my bop or defiant, i find to be at a loss....as it is a good offensive positioning tool that only comes around every 3 minutes.... i find that i can be where i need to without it, just by focusing on agility, and having omegas ready to go.

the rest, well, i still find i'd rather have a constant defensive or offensive stat bonus out there. more shields....a stronger tractor beam.....more hull defense....a bigger per/tic warp plasma.... and so on....

all of those i find to more beneficial for your ship, and your team.... than say a grav pulse, or ams. i find them just about completely useless......and well, just rather annoying.

have fun kill bad guys
Captain
# 12
12-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Should switch to mines and pick up a dispersal pattern. Your tech doffs are making your two torp abilities redundant anyhow
ah! great point.

or maybe throw in delta 1 instead, after my advice on dropping PH3.

great thought man.
Captain
# 13
12-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Should switch to mines and pick up a dispersal pattern. Your tech doffs are making your two torp abilities redundant anyhow
It was a situational thought in taking both THY and TS - wondering if the MEF would add DEF to the THY Plasma. I could definitely see dropping the THY for a DPB - along with dropping one of the torps for mines.

I'll think about that with some of the ships I actually have - instead of those I just think about getting down the line. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thishorizon View Post
virus,

as long as your focus with that build is healing and pet control, here would be my small adjustments:

drop the high yield for a second spread.

drop the polarize hull for tss3.

have fun kill bad guys
In the original post, I said that I'd normally go Trans instead of Plasma (changing consoles, etc as necessary) - but the gist of it is a high survivability torp boat using S7 toys.

I do not have a Vesta, but it's a tempting ship - that I could see getting down the line to dork around with as a torp boat.

With it, though, I ruled out TSS pretty early (part of the reason it's an Eng captain instead of a Sci). I feel naked without APO or PH - there's no APO, so I all but feel I have to sport PH. That left the decision in the build of ST3/ST1 vs. PH3/PH1. Since the ST would mainly be for the cleanse rather than the shield heal - PH3 crept in there (with all the talk about shields down pop, pop, pop - being able to keep PH up as much as possible for both movement and hull resistance - oh well).

It's a case of trying to maximize that plasma damage, hull damage - and being annoying. Part of the reason for the Deltas over the Danubes - Tach beam, Phaser Procs, and Trans torps.

It's an attempt at an outlast build - their disabled systems, hull burning away, random placates. Yeah, an attempt at an annoying build.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Empire Veteran
# 14
12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
hey virus, you got those 2 special rep plasma torps, omega and rom, whats their deal anyway?
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 15
12-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
It was a situational thought in taking both THY and TS - wondering if the MEF would add DEF to the THY Plasma. I could definitely see dropping the THY for a DPB - along with dropping one of the torps for mines.

I'll think about that with some of the ships I actually have - instead of those I just think about getting down the line. Thanks.

In the original post, I said that I'd normally go Trans instead of Plasma (changing consoles, etc as necessary) - but the gist of it is a high survivability torp boat using S7 toys.

I do not have a Vesta, but it's a tempting ship - that I could see getting down the line to dork around with as a torp boat.

With it, though, I ruled out TSS pretty early (part of the reason it's an Eng captain instead of a Sci). I feel naked without APO or PH - there's no APO, so I all but feel I have to sport PH. That left the decision in the build of ST3/ST1 vs. PH3/PH1. Since the ST would mainly be for the cleanse rather than the shield heal - PH3 crept in there (with all the talk about shields down pop, pop, pop - being able to keep PH up as much as possible for both movement and hull resistance - oh well).

It's a case of trying to maximize that plasma damage, hull damage - and being annoying. Part of the reason for the Deltas over the Danubes - Tach beam, Phaser Procs, and Trans torps.

It's an attempt at an outlast build - their disabled systems, hull burning away, random placates. Yeah, an attempt at an annoying build.
but this is very selfish in my opinion.

to be an engineer captain with so many self only abilities like PH.... when a full aux tss3, either for you, or a teammate makes you way more of an asset to the team, and its better even when you want to be selfish honestly.

also, Delta offers an amazing resist. now, couple that, with the ability to throw that tss3 and delta, on yourself or a teammate....

get where im going here?

edit: also, of you want an annoying build, you need to start off with a sci captain.

Last edited by thishorizon; 12-02-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Disregard.....
Captain
# 17
12-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Disregard.....
nope.

speak up sir.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Ok, i'll share my vesta build here.
It's very effective, so far nobody was able to beat it in 1v1 and in most pugmades.

TT1
TT1 CRF1
EPTW1 DEM1 AUX2SIF2
EPTE1 DEM1
TSS1 Tiken1 Energy Siphon2 Energy Siphon3

Fore Weapons: 3 Polaron dual cannons (not dual heavy, but dual) mk xii accx3
Aft Weapons: 2 Polaron turret mk xii accx3, 1 polaron beam array for target subsystem

Power levels: 50-25-25-100

Sci consoles: 2 flow capacitors consoles, tachiokinetic converter, zero point romulan
Tac consoles: 4 polaron consoles
Eng consoles: a neutronium and a rcs

Doffs: 3 damage control engineer, 1 energy siphon doff, 1 nurse

Set: 2pcs Omega + Maco Shield

The survivability of this build is due to the fact that you end up with all 4 subsystems with >100 power for 46 seconds every minute, and that combined with a full aux tss and aux2sif grants a good damage resistance. Engine power is also high, allowing you to escape if heavily damaged.

With two energy siphon + doff + fully decompiled target subsystem + polaron proc, your opponent often will have 2 or 3 subsystems offline and a very low defense value, that allows you to crit a lot with your dual cannons accuracy overflow.
It's worth saying that when you crit a shot with a dual cannon, also tetryon glider and dem will crit.
Even a bug with 9 points in power insulators is harmless against you.

Try yourself and let me know
Captain
# 19
12-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
hey virus, you got those 2 special rep plasma torps, omega and rom, whats their deal anyway?
Nope, don't have them. This post though, got me very interested in the Omega one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The Omega Torpedo is kind of a unique mechanic...

Firstly, it's basic fire is a smaller version of the Unimatrix vaporizing torpedo. If it kills a target, I don't believe it derezzes them (it may, I haven't checked).

The unique aspect of this, is that the Torpedo uses an ammo-like mechanic. It has a very low recharge time (2sec) but a limited number of charges that will slowly regenerate over a longer period of time. So you can, theoretically, quickly unload a barrage of these torpedoes all in a very short time frame, but will then have a long period of time before you can do the same again while you wait for the charges to regenerate.

The Spread and High Yield versions of these torpedoes don't use the Ammo mechanic, but they will consume the enhancement when fired, so you won't be able to fire multiple Spreads or High Yields in short succession.

The Spread is just a volley of the standard torpedoes.

The High Yield version of this torpedo is much closer to the ones employed by the Unimatrix ships, and will definitely derez any targets that they destroy.
With the Hyper-Plasma, it's been the case of looking for the 2-set bonus without the experimental beam... haven't seen anything on the actual torp though. It could be complete garbage.

edit: Keep in mind they're both T4 - 60k Rep - that's 21 runs of both the 2000 and the 800.

Quote:
but this is very selfish in my opinion.

to be an engineer captain with so many self only abilities like PH.... when a full aux tss3, either for you, or a teammate makes you way more of an asset to the team, and its better even when you want to be selfish honestly.

also, Delta offers an amazing resist. now, couple that, with the ability to throw that tss3 and delta, on yourself or a teammate....

get where im going here?

edit: also, of you want an annoying build, you need to start off with a sci captain.
Like I said, I won't run a ship without APO or PH (often having both of them). Of course, until looking at this build - I'd never have thought to take PH3. It's usually PH1 on the second Sci, TSS/HE on the primary..

It's something to think about though - ST3 (would have to get somebody else to train it) would be more "team friendly". One of the concerns with it being the Aux2Batt build though - would be the amount of Aux available (even with batteries, etc, etc). TBH, even the ST's only there for a selfish reason - as a cleanse.

But yeah, I definitely come to ship design in a more selfish manner. I live(d) in PUGland - and even there, with a preference for C&H over Arena. So there's a lot of you have to look after yourself.

Would definitely recommend that for a team - cause yeah, it's massively selfish - and I probably should have stated that when I typed it out.

As for APD - I don't fly a Vo'quv without it - but it I generally don't roll healers (it's just too painful in PUGland - the same folks that never distribute, don't use TT, etc, etc that you see while leveling the toon are the same folks you see PvPing in PUGland)...

With the Sci being more annoying than the Eng - I wouldn't argue that in the least. However, for this potential build - surviving to be annoying, to me, is important - just wouldn't get that from a Sci. Again, PUGland...not on a team...etc, etc, etc. On a team, I'd definitely roll Sci to be annoying.

Prior to the release of the Vesta, I'd been considering a Nebula. Depending on how things go with the Winter Event ship (Chel Brett, eh? Crossfaction Breen Sci? Maybe? Could be? Now that would be a fun ship to fly with a Sci to be annoying - 4 days until the event supposedly starts - will see)... but depending on how that goes, I might actually shell out for the Vesta as a Christmas present to myself. One of the reasons I've been watching for builds folks had, the discussions on it, etc - many of which have talked about the complicated nature of the ship - the oodles of fail builds and the pop, pop, pop there it goes...
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin

Last edited by virusdancer; 12-02-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
nope.

speak up sir.
I had made a comment about your advice to picking up a second spread before I realized there was a second page to the thread.