Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
...specifically for new Alts and NEW PLAYERS.

The days when you levelled a new toon friday to sunday, then ran a few STF's to outfit them with good gear sunday night to monday, and new alt was ready to go PvP on Tuesday are gone, we're probably not going to get those days back.

With five of eight sets locked irretrievably behind time-gated rep-system treadmills, one locked behind a dilithium wall imposed on Crafting, and two that are considered less-optimal choices but are currently still available fairly quickly, the question is:

How to avoid the repgrinding treadmill for new Alts and new Players, yet still become viable in open (Que'd) PvP?

i.e.: Good builds to use the Breen, Jem'Hadar, and maybe Aegis sets, ways to utilize the Fleet systems, etc. for those who've gotten sick of STFs, have no use for New Romulus and it's kandy-koated kontent...

I'm not sorry, the Rep system is a total PITA and I'm looking for ideas to 'get around' it-to avoid the treadmill and actually bring the focus back to having fun, with my friends and with strangers, Playing the game instead of grinding endlessly.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Simple answer as always
Basic gear can BEAT a partial set
as most sets are partial
forget them
Captain
# 3
12-02-2012, 01:57 PM
i flew without top gear for a long time.

you can still trump a lot with good piloting and teamwork.

the lines are more blurred than ever, this i will agree.

but for those that have the need to min/max.... well, grinding is part of just about every game.

have fun kill bad guys
Captain
# 4
12-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thishorizon View Post
i flew without top gear for a long time.

you can still trump a lot with good piloting and teamwork.

the lines are more blurred than ever, this i will agree.

but for those that have the need to min/max.... well, grinding is part of just about every game.

have fun kill bad guys
Grinding is only grinding if it is not enjoyable
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Captain
# 5
12-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Slight change from the topic: How does one make PvP profitable, in terms of dilithium/EC? Are there things I'm missing when it comes to missions? At most, I might be missing out on the arena/C+H specific missions, because I hate waiting in the queue. . .and I never seem to be around for those private matches
Captain
# 6
12-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Grinding is only grinding if it is not enjoyable
preach it from the rooftops brother naz.
Captain
# 7
12-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Slight change from the topic: How does one make PvP profitable, in terms of dilithium/EC? Are there things I'm missing when it comes to missions? At most, I might be missing out on the arena/C+H specific missions, because I hate waiting in the queue. . .and I never seem to be around for those private matches
how about more substantial rewards?

edit: pvp is its own reward. good gaming is what you should be here for, not your e-wallet

Last edited by thishorizon; 12-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Captain
# 8
12-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Log out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
Career Officer
# 9
12-03-2012, 05:50 AM
I see basically two options:

1. Go with fleet gear, to be bought from your fleet's base.

2. Get Mk XII purple basic gear off the exchange. It gets account-bound, so buying it once will allow you to use it on any max level toon.
Rihannsu
# 10
12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
I see basically two options:

1. Go with fleet gear, to be bought from your fleet's base.

2. Get Mk XII purple basic gear off the exchange. It gets account-bound, so buying it once will allow you to use it on any max level toon.
except for tactical consoles
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013