Career Officer
# 11
12-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashikumiho View Post
Do you think STO would pass up a chance to use the event to sell a new lockbox?

Having a BO as the top package prize seens anti-climatic, don't you think?
It depends.

I'm burnt out on starships and on this game being Starships Online.

That's just a matter of some art and which five numbers Geko will tweak this time. And whether I get to keep playing what I like or not. Which, at this point, I will.

I picked up the Steamrunner as a curiosity, mainly in case I roll up more alts and even then because of the other stuff in the pack and the price. But that and the Temporal ships have been the only ones I claimed this year. And the Temporal ships have abilities and its the abilities that interest me, aside from my desire for a post-Voyager Relativity spin-off instead of Enterprise.

I don't want another ship. Another ship won't entice me. The only other ship I'm interested in is the Venture.

I don't care that much about the ships at the end of the day and I really couldn't be persuaded to care about them any more beyond improving the ones I have.
Career Officer
# 12
12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Depends on the BO doesn't it
but frankly the lock box ships are mostly rubbish
I'd dig one of Q's Vicious Animal Things or a (mostly) de-powered Q.
Lieutenant
# 13
12-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Depends on the BO doesn't it
but frankly the lock box ships are mostly rubbish
A "winter package" (AKA "lock box") built around a BO?

That would have to be one amazing BO. Like efficent captain 10x or something.

Then everyone would cry P2W (pay-2-win) and how Starbase 24 is now screwed up by the new BO and PvP has been completely ruined.

If you make a slightly better than ho hum BO then the amount of participation in the event will be mediocre and the event becomes just a basic give away rather than a big thing.

Depends on what STO devs are trying to achieve.

From what Q says a new BO seems quite possible. Maybe this won't be a big event thing, just a way to spend a little time and to have some laughs.

Photonic Ginger Bread Man Science Officer? (Not my gumdrop button!)
Career Officer
# 14
12-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I hope they keep the lock box crap out of Christmas this year. Buying your own Christmas gifts sucks. But there's hope, Q doesn't mention a ship.

"Maybe you?ll even end up with some Frosted Boots, a new weapon or something to liven up that dreary uniform! Or perhaps a new friend ? who knows?"

Now I'm wondering if it's "BO"-friend or "pet"-friend.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
12-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Was thinking more EMH Doctor or something
Career Officer
# 16
12-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Be interesting what they come up with. Hopefully there is a departure and focus more on the ground side for a change.

If this game had more open terrain, I honestly could see mounts becoming the top prize. Or unique set pieces.
Lieutenant
# 17
12-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I don't want another ship. Another ship won't entice me. The only other ship I'm interested in is the Venture.

I don't care that much about the ships at the end of the day and I really couldn't be persuaded to care about them any more beyond improving the ones I have.
Outside of the Tuffi Freighter, flown for its usefulness and cheaper commodities, I don't have any of the ultra-rare or even the mirror ships.

Like you ships don't do much for me. The free ones get the Dilithium grinding job done, abeit a little more work and a lot less niftiness.

Spending $200 to $300 USD for a single character ship unlock seems outragous to me.

Not to mention you can buy most ultra-rare ships off the exchange for <100M EC, or $85.94 USD if you spend the Zen to buy Fleet Support packs and resell them on the Exchange for EC.

Still $86 for ONE ship seems pretty outrageous to me. That's 4 9-month-old brand new XBox 360 games.

Though for other people $86 to $300 USD per ship is just fine for them. It all depends on personal perception.

I would pay money though for an LTS. But not $200 or $300. I would try my hand at winter packages lotto though and see if I get lucky.
Lieutenant
# 18
12-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Be interesting what they come up with. Hopefully there is a departure and focus more on the ground side for a change.

If this game had more open terrain, I honestly could see mounts becoming the top prize. Or unique set pieces.
Ground is kinda dead unless they change the rewards system. It makes far more sense to spend your time doing space missions like Infected: Elite or Starbase 24 than do to anything ground related (except if you want the Fleet Marks e.g. Colony).
Captain
# 19
12-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Winter boxes really need to be locked and have to be opened with C-store keys.
Career Officer
# 20
12-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashikumiho View Post
Ground is kinda dead unless they change the rewards system. It makes far more sense to spend your time doing space missions like Infected: Elite or Starbase 24 than do to anything ground related (except if you want the Fleet Marks e.g. Colony).
Exactly the point, its a weak area that Cryptic needs to revisit and make viable.

And if they make ground fun, why not add new things for ground that actually makes it fun?