Lieutenant
Namely, they made the core plot of the new planet open to the single player. On Nakura I don't know how that plot ends since I can't solo the hard difficulty. Groups won't wait around while I savor the plot and environment - it's all GOGOGO. However, on New Romulus, I can follow the storyline to it's end without worrying about that.

Cryptic, please continue to do this in the future!
Career Officer
# 2
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
mMorpg

that is all
Republic Veteran
# 3
12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I agree having new rom does add more of a WoW feeling to it. Wow has those sorts of lore stories all over the place. I don't see them as much in STO. They are there, but I don't feel like they really do much with them. Probably because they do not really have the freedom to come up with Star Trek lore on their own.
# 4
12-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srafaorasp View Post
mMorpg

that is all

He didn't say he doesn't do group stuff. He said he can't take his time to read/enjoy the plot because people in groups just want to rush it.
Captain
# 5
12-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiralyn View Post
He didn't say he doesn't do group stuff. He said he can't take his time to read/enjoy the plot because people in groups just want to rush it.
Also, they're kind of dweebs, hey?
# 6
12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
In a way this demonstrates a disconnect between conventional forms of entertainment and online gaming. Books, TV shows, big-screen feature films... they all present entertainment which many people can experience, either by themselves or together, just like online gaming, and yet online gaming, by its very nature manages to encourage the audience to not even give the story a second thought.

I'd like to point out an old Nintendo game, Dragon Warrior. While not as in-depth and pretty as Final Fantasy, it presented an epic story, filled with leveling and finding cool things. However, the way it was presented, your thoughts were more on what was happening and what you were doing than it was on what you would get after you did it and it was over.

Yes... it was a single player game. But nothing says that the same sort of FEEL canot apply to a multiplayer experience.

I agree with the OP. The way Cryptic approaches New Romulus in terms of full exposition of its plotline regardless of playstyle, leaving the storytelling essentially limited to the before and after elements of each stage or tier, pretty much gives those who are interested in the plot more than they are about loot and "dinging" the next progress point the opportunity to just enjoy it.

It IS something they got right. Truth be told, if Dilithium/Mark/ costs and lockout timers on progression unlocks were the norm from the beginning, they quite possibly Season Seven would be considered to be the best installment so far from a plot perspective... I think the real problem was that Seasons Six and Seven were to drastic a change too suddenly from how the game was before to how it is now. Had it been given a transitional period where they faded from one mode to the next rather than just switching from one to the other, I think it would not have been seen as such a bad thing.

If you've been asleep in a dark room and someone turns the light on and throws a bucket of cold water on you, what sort of reaction will they get from you. They may laugh when you sit bolt-upright in bed, squinting against the glare and screaming from the shock, but then you're likely to get an earful... Too bad that PWE didn't learn SOE's lesson. When they changed Star Wars Galaxies over night to something that was almost a polar opposite of what it originally was, they lost 75% of their subscribers. You don't make drastic changes to a game that has been running for more than a year and expect the majority to just go along with it.

Here's hoping that any future changes will be far more moderate. But they should maintain their interconnected plotline per season approach.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Career Officer
# 7
12-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthian1701 View Post
Namely, they made the core plot of the new planet open to the single player. On Nakura I don't know how that plot ends since I can't solo the hard difficulty. Groups won't wait around while I savor the plot and environment - it's all GOGOGO. However, on New Romulus, I can follow the storyline to it's end without worrying about that.

I agree and kudos to Cryptic.
Career Officer
# 8
12-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthian1701 View Post

I agree that it's nice being able to take your time to look around and read what's going on.

However, saying that you can't do it on Nukara is, no offence, total rubbish. The mission is picked up when you want to pick it up, all the 'story' about what the hard missions entail is in their brief, there is no reading in the hard or even medium missions other than the brief. So you can tell how that story ends perfectly well. The only reason you need the group is to kill.

In fact, the only mission on Nukara where you need to read on the go, is the one with the mirror troops (Easy interior) and that is designed for one person to be able to do.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Career Officer
# 9
12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
This probably isn't as applicable to Nukara Prime. The plot is basically that Tholians are trying to pull in ships and other tech from the Mirror Universe. There's not much to it and doesn't matter anyway.

I feel this more with STFs. I have absolutely no idea what the plot of the STFs is. I could probably read it online if I were inclined, but you never have time to do it in game. If you take the time to sit and read the comm windows, your team mates will flip out. You'd almost have to arrange a private game where it was established ahead of time that you were all going to chill and take in the story.

So, yes. The fact that I can actually slow down to pay attention to what's happening on New Romulus is nice. Also, I feel like that map, despite not being typical STO team play, is the most multiplayer thing in the game. I loved the notion on Nukara Prime that everyone could work together organically to close those portals. New Romulus that happens on a huge scale every time a Red Alert pops up. Teams form and disperse organically as players move around the area in packs or gang up on bigger targets. You look around and see what looks like an actual battle in all its chaos. It's brilliant.