Captain
# 11
12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
What's really disappointing is that the game slated to release in its place, "Blade and Soul", is and I quote from an article I read, "The MMORPG equivalent of a Victoria's Secret catalog".
Career Officer
# 12
12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Lord Recluse and the Great Lag of Grandville shall live forevermore! And Statesman can plant his pansy lips on my posterior for all time.

Take care CoV, one of my favorite MMO's in 20 years.
Captain
# 13
12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
What's really disappointing is that the game slated to release in its place, "Blade and Soul", is and I quote from an article I read, "The MMORPG equivalent of a Victoria's Secret catalog".
A lot of women looking for a toilet to barf their meals in to?
# 14
12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
A lot of women looking for a toilet to barf their meals in to?
that's both sexes after the play it >.>
Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
Career Officer
# 15
12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
I loved CoH and played mostly on but sometimes off for over 4 years. I only left because of Champions Online Beta/launch.

I led many a Hamidon raid back in the day on Virtue with my bubble defender Powerhelm targeting.

I will greatly miss that it is no longer running. If someone could have rallied the community an created a kickstarter to buy the game or to pay NCSoft to rent/maintain the servers, or something that would have been great.

I think the way they ended it was handled poorly by NCSoft. I would have at least given everyone premium accounts and unlocked everything for them in these last couple months.

The fact that it is no longer around though takes away from the Genre as a whole, great game and really good stories. While the Atari situation really screwed Cryptic with Champions and STO (what idiot thought it'd be a good idea to join up with a company that has been perpetually failing for years?!) CoH had more content when Cryptic cut ties with it than STO an Champs combined do now...

It was, to date, Cryptics crowning achievement.
Captain
# 16
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
50 Sonic/Sonic Defender and started playing 1 week after launch and I played up until the last week. I missed the last day

It was the second MMO I ever played after EverQuest, with STO being my forth (after EVE). Although the game was "old", it had plenty of life left in it with so much to do no matter how much time you had to play. I was never ... ever ... bored with that game.

The fact that STO has some of the Paragon Studios team helped me transition into STO, while NCSoft will not get a penny from me for what they have left. I may check out Champions because a lot of my CoX friends went there, but I'm a Star Trek fan and I want to fly a ship that's not in EVE.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 17
12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
CoH was my first MMO as well.

Support a last ditch effort here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index....ic,6354.0.html
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
CoH players will know me from the CoH Forums. CoH was my third MMO, after EQ and Dark Age of Camelot, and will forever hold fond memories for me, even after all the shine wore off for me. All the in-game events, the M&Gs, the ComicCons, etc. Met lots of good poeple online and off, and keeping on contact with quite a few.

I was there for the end, admittedly not having been very active for some years, especially since I started going back to school. Heck, the only reason I still play STO is because of the LT Sub. But there was a lot of nostalgia going back for one last time, my wife and I parking our characters in their ideal "end of the story" spots before hitting Atlas parks with our mains just in time to see the lights go out and get the "forceably disconnected from server" message when they pulled the plugs.

Although I'll miss it dearly, I understand why it was shut down - it probably wasn't terribly lucrative for NCSoft to keep it running and developed. Regardless, with what NCSoft did to their developers - shoving them out the door with no prior notice like so much refuse after years of service - I'll be hard-pressed to try or buy any NCSoft title for the foreseeable future, which is a shame for their talented studios. I'm sure that Guild Wars 2 is probably a great game, but under the NCSoft banner, I couldn't in good conscious touch it.

Here's to you City of Heroes, and to my lost home on the Triumph server. I won't always be online, but when I am, I'll be hanging my phasers at Atlas Station with the Paragon Expeditionary Fleet.

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.

Last edited by obsidiusrex; 12-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Career Officer
# 19
12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I got into City of Heroes about a week after launch, it was my first MMO. I played for around six years, until the launch of STO. Only a Star Trek MMO could pull me away from City of Heroes (and I even returned to that game for a while during the content drought of 2011 when it went free to play). I leveled over two dozen characters to level 50 over those six years.

I would run two accounts, log into both at the same time and announce arrival in my super group's global chat channels by typing "We are the zip..." in both clients at the same time.
Career Officer
# 20
12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
It's true, COH may not have been "Cryptic's" for a few years now, but that doesn't mean we don't hold an attachment to it. There are still many people at Cryptic that worked on that game. Many of whom were there when the lights got turned on in the first place.

For me, it was my first game industry job. I haven't worked on it in a couple years, but I bet I still know my way around Paragon City better than most. It's sad, but it was inevitable. Still, COH launched in 2004. 8 years is pretty respectable in the MMO world. I am proud of what we made, and while the closing is sad, it makes me happy to hear how many people still love the game. And for how many people COH was their first MMO.

:::salutes COH/COV:::
City of heroes was my first MMO. Got me addicted to them lol. What was your favorite character type? I couldn't decide if I liked defenders or peacebringers more
[/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]