Captain
# 241
12-03-2012, 01:43 AM
i hear that guy called mai kai will be getting himself a new fleet nebula soon(ish).

he used to have a great hybrid sci/heal boat outta it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 242
12-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
I believe it's a role situation. There are roles that one might consider for PvP that are pointless in PvE - well, because PvE is PvE - the AI is the AI - and there's just no need for it in PvE.

Thing's that you'd be "happy" to see in PvP (on your team)...
...but things that would make you "sad" to see in PvE while trying to do optionals.

Mobs just aren't going to be doing all the things that player might do, so having a build meant to deal with those things - well, it wouldn't work well in PvE.

Likewise, it's one of the reasons that a PvEer may initially have a bunch of complaints when entering PvP - it's just not that simple in PvP.

A PvP DPS boat will likely rock in PvE.
A PvP Heal boat will likely rock in PvE.

You start to step away from those two roles, though - things that might rock in PvP and well, you're wasting space in PvE...

Hell, it's one of the reasons that many claim to enjoy PvP and one of the complaints many have against PvE...
i see. Well I know the npcs are programmed a certain way. Of course a human player would attempt other things... I guess i'll have to do more pvp ^.^
Career Officer
# 243
12-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
A lot of skills are circumstantial, especially with Sci tubs. VM3 isn't all that great against NPCs but it's brutal against players.
....that makes SOME sense. of course Borg would be affected little by viral matrix or tachyon beam. But other npcs should be greatly affected - like human players - by viral matrix....I've seen it happen before season 7. Even assimilated Klingon ships were stopped in their tracks by such abilities....
Empire Veteran
# 244
12-03-2012, 02:28 AM
2AtB single cannons excelsior/fleet excelsior

1 DBB/beam array, 3 single cannons, 4 turrets

TT1, BO2, CRF2

EPtS1, AtB1, RSP2/ES2/EWP1, DEM3
EPtA, AtB1
ET1

TSS, HE2

station power long form here

equipment

omega deflector
omega engine
maco shield

consoles

borg, zero point, temperal, 1EPS

2 flow cap

3/4 energy type consoles

doffs

3 purple tech, 2 shield distribution doffs

this is the most dangerous non DHC capable cruiser in STO. it is not a spike killer, but it can deals so much damage over time it almost seems like it is. under the right circumstances, and the right buffs stacked, your enemies will melt in about the time it takes for CRF to end. being such a gradual damage dealer, its damage can evaporated in the sea of cross heals, the number 1 limiting factor to dps cruiser effectiveness. but when it deals dps unhindered, its does so in a big way. thanks to how quickly single cannons and turrets fire, you can apply lots of glider damage as well.

i find a little bit of beam on top can make a big difference, even a BO2 from a beam array. there is a specialty build im currently using with this thats made up of the romulan rep system equipment, and proboly works best of all.

1 experimental beam array, 3 acc 2 rom single cannons, 3 rom acc2 turrets, 1 rom rep plasma torp

with this, and some plasma infused embassy flow cap consoles, you will have a lot of extra plasma weapon damage, a beam array that is very cheap to fire BOs with so you don't even need to use a console slot for an EPS consoles, and the 3 part set especial beam attack, that is a very strong unclear able hull armor debuff. with plasma fires, disrupter procs, and DEM you can do shocking bleed damage for about 10 seconds. and if anyone's behind you, you can spam your rom torps. its mainly there to complete the set though.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus

Last edited by dontdrunkimshoot; 01-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Captain
# 245
12-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
2AtB single cannons excelsior/fleet excelsior
So - a thought - yes, I'm still stuck in S7 Plasma thinking (I'll get over it - but the thought of all the new folks, reroll folks, alt folks that may not pick up the plasma resist shield for a period of time makes it a very tempting thought in PUGland)...

Fore: 4x Romulan Disruptor Plasma Single Cannons*
Aft: 2x Romulan Disruptor Plasma Turrets Rear*, Kinetic Beam, Romulan Experimental Beam

With the addition of the Kinetic Beam instead of a turret, you pick up the chance for the Omega Weapon Amplifier proc. Adding the Experimental Beam in to replace a turret while adding the Romulan Zero-Point in as one of the four Tac consoles (leaving you 3 Infusers) - you'd pick up the +1.8% Crit, +1.8 Pwr, +19.7 Insulators, +15.2 EPS, and +7.6% Plasma Dmg.

With the two Flow Caps - replacing them with two Romulan Flow Caps, eh? One giving the +9.6% Plasma Dmg (and maybe even giving the Kinetic Beam a 2.5% chance to proc a plasma DoT, eh?) and then either a Shield or Hull for the other (unless they stack, not sure where that thread went on that - but if they stack, well two of the +9.6%, eh?)...

Maybe even dropping one of the RCS for a Tachyo...perchance?

Trading the +35% TR for the +Turn/+CrtH/+CrtD/(+Grav, meh)...

...and as far as the passives go: +3% Crit, +30 Weapon, +CritOnPlac, +KineticProc

And to me, it starts to look pretty EVIL on paper for rolling around PUGland where folks may not have the plasma resist from a STF shield...

* The two bonuses would depend, eh? ACCx2, CrtH/CrtD - that discussion, depending on who you're facing and who you're flying with....

edit: You know, I've had complaints about my abuse of the ellipsis (only Shatner should be allowed to type like Kirk); but egads - what's up with all the "eh?" in this post, eh? I'm not even Canadian...
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin

Last edited by virusdancer; 12-03-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 246
12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
i tend to leave builds pretty basic, and not insist on energy types and a bunch of universals so people can take it and customize it as they see fit. going full plasma mode will likly work well, though i would suggest EWP3 and SEM2 then. maybe even a plasma torp and TS2 with CRF2
Career Officer
# 247
12-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i tend to leave builds pretty basic, and not insist on energy types and a bunch of universals so people can take it and customize it as they see fit. going full plasma mode will likly work well, though i would suggest EWP3 and SEM2 then. maybe even a plasma torp and TS2 with CRF2
I run now the advanced fleet plasma torpedos (has dmgx3) on my Plas'Tinga. The proc does almost 1000 plasma damage over 10 seconds. I also use DEM, EWP, TS and CFR. Its Insane.

Tomorrow i will also have the cutting beam available. It will be a very interesting and synergistic addition.

Ships with shields.... meh.
Empire Veteran
# 248
12-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiefix1 View Post
Ships with shields.... meh.
my ktinga is literally named 'RSP wont help' right now
Captain
# 249
12-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
i hear that guy called mai kai will be getting himself a new fleet nebula soon(ish).

he used to have a great hybrid sci/heal boat outta it.
so i heard he had his nebula out last night, and to great effect. if anyone is interested i can see about getting what he used.

heavy healing based from what i hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 250
12-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
so i heard he had his nebula out last night, and to great effect. if anyone is interested i can see about getting what he used.

heavy healing based from what i hear.
heavy healing sci? ok sure. I'd love to know.