Career Officer
# 1 Romulan Tier 3 Feedback
12-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Liked the Environment

Liked the Story

But I HATED that Tholian Captain battle!

Score: C-

This NPC was not designed for soloists, but this is more like an NPC for player teams. Because BOFFs easily die to the 1-shot Tholian canon and with the zerg mobs, all players can do is respawn, respawn, respawn.

And frankly, Cryptic really needs to give us better fights without zerg tactics. This is just as bad as the final battle in the Tier 2 Zone, where you have to fight 3 groups of NPCs at the same time, while fighting 2 BOSS mobs.
Captain
# 2
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
But I HATED that Tholian Captain battle!

I liked it.I died because I was not ready .To not die you have to kick your boffs.They are annoying as hell and of course they dont help
Captain
# 3
12-02-2012, 11:43 PM
I guess everyone's perspective is subjective

Romulus - Planet Side

Environment: B+
Simply one of the best environment STO has produced. Thumbs up The variety of flora and fauna mad me want to explore, checking everything. The added hidden accolades - that was a lot of fun. While 'scanning' radiation lost it's charm quickly, the four mini-missions, and the red alert missions planet side were a lot of fun. Coaxing nanoth is not only fun, its stupid-fun.

Music: A
As of Friday's update, the ambient music on Romulus really caught the despair and hope the Romulan people must be undergoing. I was stunned. A real winner.

Cut Scenes: A for ingenuity, C for Tholian/Tal Shiar minion conversations.

The Cut Scenes are used to move the New Romulus story along, showing to the Federation and Klingon players who the various antagonists are. As spoiler free as possible:
  1. Tier 1: Awesome, although the Tal Shiar agent come off as petulant.
  2. Tier 2: Other than the same petulant character, the introduction of the 'boss and his aide' was very very good.
  3. Tier 3: Seriously awesome, but the dialog is more stilted than a George Lucas script. I assume that's because 'verbal communications' are difficult for crystals. LOL

New Creatures: Varies, B+ for Fauna, Hirogen updates, A+ for Tholians.

Tier 3 Mission (Tholian Captain) A+:

FINALLY a solo boss that scared me. I want that mecha armour! During my first engagement I noticed only one of my team was doing any harm. I switched to the Cryo-cannon from the breen missions, with a small improvement in damage. The real winner was the weapons with the 'sonic' proc. My math is fuzzy, but it appears to do additional damage in excess of what it says on the weapon. Might have something to do with them being in envrionment suits.

Romulan Ground Missions: Hit and miss.

Warehouse - fun, and at time ridiculously hard.

Mountain pass is too buggy, and require you leave your team behind, trigger all of the in game events, then return to the bottom to properly end the mission.

Overgown Caves - sweet, sweet fun. Entirely new environment, great surprises. And of course, the dreaded Tholian Captain.

Ill review space later - checking out the subtle changes from Friday right now.

Regards

Admiral Thrax
Captain
# 4
12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
I've just finished the mission a few hours ago, it's good that the Tholian's are getting fleshed out a bit.

That captain fight was tough, I had to re-spawn a few times before my team put him down for good. Of course if everyone had those sonic weapons from Nukara drops it might have been a different story.

But that aside I enjoyed it, and looking forward to learning more at tier 4.

Oh and the New Romulus background tune is fantastic.
Career Officer
# 5
12-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Thats exactly my point!

Having to respawn multiple times to complete the objective and shruging off death, like it's nothing? That shows how dumbed down STO's gameplay has become.

All they need is just the Tholian Captain in that room and that alone is a challenge, due to that AoE 1-shot kill. I bet if they had these missions having a failure mechanic, people wouldn't be praising Cryptic for such lazy mechanics.
Empire Veteran
# 6
12-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
All they need is just the Tholian Captain in that room and that alone is a challenge, due to that AoE 1-shot kill. I bet if they had these missions having a failure mechanic, people wouldn't be praising Cryptic for such lazy mechanics.
AoE 1-shot? *blinks in confusion* I did that mission earlier for my first time, I never noticed that personally. I killed him on my first attempt, didn't die at all.

Maybe I was just lucky. *shrug*

Empire Veteran
# 7
12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Thats exactly my point!

Having to respawn multiple times to complete the objective and shruging off death, like it's nothing? That shows how dumbed down STO's gameplay has become.

Isn't getting back up again like that a common 'acceptable break from reality'? How is a common mechanic lazy on Cryptic's part, or indication of dumbed down?
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Career Officer
# 8
12-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Solo'd did not Die, Just use The Weapons that all tholian Fear.. Rare and Very Rare Sonic Weapons Drop like Candy on Nakura.. Set your skills, Use your Kits, and Command your boffs Intelligently.. You're a Captain, Give Orders.. Please Stop Asking the Games to be Dumbed Down Because YOU had Issues.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Career Officer
# 9
12-04-2012, 06:22 AM
I recommend going with EV suit armor for the Tholian Captain battle - the Mines and cannon shots are all doing radiation damage, which armor such as MACO XII does nothing to defend against. Once I had resistances, I stopped getting one-shotted and was able to tank the Captain to death.
Career Officer
# 10
12-04-2012, 06:31 AM
I think people's perception of this mission depends largely on how well they've adapted to STO's ground combat. It's no secret most players focus more on space and either don't bother with or actively dislike the ground combat. I personally didn't play it much and wasn't very good at it until I spent some time on Nukara.

Now, speaking as somebody who is solidly... decent at ground combat, I didn't have much trouble. I got knocked out once, but revived by a BO. I had to revive one of them once or twice, that's about it. I didn't even bother equipping my Tholian ground set, was just using my Elite Fleet gear. Granted, that's good gear, but good gear is part of being ready for content. You could probably do almost as well with purple armor/shields and some Sonic AP weapons off the exchange (for next to no cost).