Commander
# 11
12-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guglif View Post
thanks all for the great ideas
one question remains though... what career would be the best for it? Science or Engineering? I already have a VA engie and I'm lvling up a sci too but I really don't know which one would be best in there.
As for the speccing i have all the Zen I need for an eventual retrain: in fact I'm not specced at all on attack patterns (I put my skills before starting to plan this build so...)
However, build apart, I need to know what career would suit best (that's why I opened a new thread)
Then... I've read that you get great performance putting an engineer or another sci in that uni cmdr, but that build both dareau and Kyle suggested me is really great
Glad to help! If you want I dig my Atrox build out of where posts go to die. Pretty good build, but my be a little dated because of the Borg set changes.

Tac is good for the Atrox and the Recluse. Here is my idea, is that what class you are you do not put in the Comm spot. This allows you to get the good ablities from the 2 other trees. Sci is a great Comm spot filler.

Kyle
Delta Fleet Command
Captain
# 12
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Going from my experience with a sci captain in a Vo'Quv and Kar'Fi, the Recluse should be pretty effective too.

Run the cmdr slot as tactical, with, say, APO3, APB2, Torp Spread and TT1
Tac ens: tt1
Sci ltnt cmdr: GW1, HE2, TB/TSS
Sci ens: PH/SciT
Eng ltnt cmdr: EPtS1, RSP1, Aux2SIF/EPtS3

(Or cmdr tact: APB3, Torp Spread3, FaW2 and TT1 if you want to put a hefty APB+sensor scan debuff on everything in your Grav well, before torp spreading them to death)

Add in subsystem targeting and "Widow fighters are armed with Tetryon Beams and Quantum Torpedoes. The Widows are also designed to work with the Recluse's Tholian Tetryon Grid. This console creates a grid of tetryon Energy that buffs ally energy damage"

Should be very nice.

The science CC skills will deal some damage, but also keep stuff in place for you to shoot it, which is nice when your own turn rate is 5,5.
Lieutenant
# 13
12-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesal24 View Post
Here is my idea, is that what class you are you do not put in the Comm spot. This allows you to get the good ablities from the 2 other trees. Sci is a great Comm spot filler.

Kyle
This would lead me to A: tactical
B: engineering
Or, if I put the tactical there (which I think I'll do after some tests on tribble) engineering or science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
Going from my experience with a sci captain in a Vo'Quv and Kar'Fi, the Recluse should be pretty effective too.

Run the cmdr slot as tactical, with, say, APO3, APB2, Torp Spread and TT1
Tac ens: tt1
Sci ltnt cmdr: GW1, HE2, TB/TSS
Sci ens: PH/SciT
Eng ltnt cmdr: EPtS1, RSP1, Aux2SIF/EPtS3

(Or cmdr tact: APB3, Torp Spread3, FaW2 and TT1 if you want to put a hefty APB+sensor scan debuff on everything in your Grav well, before torp spreading them to death)
This is surely a +1 for sci but yea... when donatra looks at you with that torp spread BRRRRR *Digs his character list looking desperately for his old beloved miracle worker*
I've just given a look to the Wiki. Carriers are designed for sci characters but when it comes to survivability engineer can make those beasts the most resilient ships in game
Give a look at this video starting from the 13th min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CVMpshDA98
when I saw this I thought just WOW
Commander
# 14
12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Now with a sci Comm you get great healing. With a Tac Captain you get great DPS. I think it is the best combo.

Kyle.
Delta Fleet Command
Captain
# 15
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Believe it or not, but I'm pretty sure the guy in that that video, the recluse pilot, is a sci captain. At some point I think he used scattering field, and I didn't notice rotating shield frequency, which an eng would've used.

Pretty impressive stuff, I must say.

Also: with HE, EPtS, PH and Brace for Impact you can actually sit through the torp spreads of doom, in a carrier, regardless of captain class
Career Officer
# 16
12-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guglif View Post
<snip>
Carriers are designed for sci characters
<snip>
Stop. Please just stop. Any ship can be flown well with any captain class.

Just because a ship has the most bridge officer slots of a particular type does not mean that it is "designed for" a matching captain class.

As for specific captain skills that boost carriers more than another ship type, each class has at least one:
TAC: FOMM reduces target's DR, making your pets deal more damage
ENG: Power Boost (forgot it's name) increases AUX power significantly, reducing hangar cooldown noticably
SCI: Sensor scan reduces target's DR, making pets deal more damage. Also has the blue bubble (forgot it's name), giving some protection against energy weapons for pets that are close to (though in practice, most non-BOP/Karfi Frig pets will still not survive an attack, and pets are often outside this bubble anyway).
Lieutenant
# 17
12-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I've just tested my newborn sci character, sensor scan in particular. With max aux power it's a deadly debuffer. I think (unless i change idea) I'll use it on him. However every further suggestion is welcome
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
i switch out between engi and tact depends on if i want tanking or extra dps.
for me it seems to be the best combo