Lt. Commander
# 11
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
As long as it doesnt turn into WoW-style raiding, I like this idea.

I think as far as the question about fleeing is concerned - it should be easier to run from PvM content than PvP.

For the purposes of PvP, if both ships have teams fighting in ground combat, it can be assumed their ships must keep shields up, and thus cannot transport.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
I think I need to stop reading these posts because honestly the more I read the more it appears that the original idea is going down the toilet. I know we all want this out quick but I don't want just another MMO with Star Trek pasted on it. Forgive my skeptisism. I remember a time when the idea of beaming or taking a shuttlecraft anywhere on the planet was a possibility.
I agree in general, although I think this particular Q&A had some good info in it. But right now this game isn't seeming very much like Star Trek.

Right now, I'm seeing gameplay as "pick a ship and a crew loadout, go out and take some missions, blow stuff up real good, and then come back to base." Yawn.

Where's the exploration? Do we really only have one beam-down point even when we're not on a mission? Where's the crew interaction? The episodes and movies are all about crew members working together to solve a problem. Here it's just you and your pets, unless you team up with some other captains for combat. Where are the non-violent solutions to problems?

You can't even explore your own dang ship, for heaven's sake. There's no after-hours raktajino in Ten-Forward, no classical music recitals, no gazing out the window in the conference lounge, no fencing in the gymnasium, no pets waiting for you in your quarters. (But hey, at least you can put racing stripes on your ship, right?)

Powers &8^]
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
There were plenty of questions about weapons and the like, I would have rather seen those questions answered.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Any chance of the Ground Combat edition of Ask Cryptic being a multiparter, or is this all there's going to be for now in terms of non-ship-to-ship combat?
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Intrepid View Post
Any chance of the Ground Combat edition of Ask Cryptic being a multiparter, or is this all there's going to be for now in terms of non-ship-to-ship combat?
I guess you could call it that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Next Wednesday, August 12, at 11:30 a.m. Pacific time (we’re GMT -7 right now), we’ll be holding a developer’s chat in the official Star Trek Online IRC chat!
Rather than running with a general topic, we're going to use this week's Ask Cryptic as a jumping off point. Was anything unclear in our answer? Have any follow-up questions? Now's the time to ask us live!
The chat is scheduled to last 30 minutes. If you can’t make it due to time constraints, we’ll be posting a transcript of the chat on the forums.
If you’d like to join us, point your IRC program of choice toward #STO on coldfront.net, or click right here for a Java client, then type "/join #STO" in the input area. And if you can’t make it, just reply with your question in this post’s comment thread. We’ll be selecting questions from the thread to put to the developers.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Quote:
If you really want to get out of Dodge, you can run from your enemies. If you get out of combat long enough, you’ll have the option to beam back up to your ship and regroup there. But there’s no way to leave during combat.
I don't like this at all, numerous times we saw people beam out of tight spots in combat...

It's plenty fun for PvP because if you make someone use their "Emergency Transport" then it counts as a PvP victory for you...

Also, powers could be made like a targeted AoE where you toss a transport disruptor device into the area behind which your enemies are taking cover so that they can't beam out while behind cover...

I mean really, if you're out of combat long enough that you can beam out you've probably already lost their aggro and beaming out isn't needed now...

Ground combat sounds like it's gonna be horrid.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Awesome, thanks Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
This post is mostly anger directed at yet another Q & A with mediocre questions and simplistic answers.

I'm kind of surprised, and disappointed that the environmental effects of different planets are only just now being looked into. Seems like that would have been an initial problem to solve when dealing in planet creation and individual interaction.

I think I need to stop reading these posts because honestly the more I read the more it appears that the original idea is going down the toilet. I know we all want this out quick but I don't want just another MMO with Star Trek pasted on it. Forgive my skeptisism. I remember a time when the idea of beaming or taking a shuttlecraft anywhere on the planet was a possibility.

Some things just cant be done, some things can't be done right, and I'm getting the feeling that STO is going to fall into that category.

P.S. There are many times in the ST Universe when everyone but a red shirts behind was saved by beaming out of a firefight. It might not seem "Klingon Honorable" to cut and run but thats a tough decision left up to a Captain or Away Team commander......it's not an "I quit" button........it's called go back and get more phasers!
Is it to late to get a trek uniform for my blood elf priest??
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Can people please stop asking "end game" questions? I think it's currently a waste of time to hear about it and you are wasting valuable question time that could be put to better use. Why don't we worry about the game coming out first and what we'll be able to do in the game before we talk about how to beat it. It's an MMO. If you want to play a game that you can beat, go play something like Fallout 3. I look forward to playing the game for a long time before I try to beat it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Interresting Q & A, I like the part about the multiple away teams. i just hope one gets the freedom to explore a planet and space, without being restricted to prearranged away points.