Lt. Commander
# 21
08-11-2009, 12:45 AM
while ground combat seems alright, i do agree i dont like the lack of not being able to beam yourself outa combat to safety, as stated previously if you wanted to throw in some sorta anti beaming Field up then alright, also I'm still wondering if your able to have ship support in ground combat, also id like to see what plans there are for planet side exploration in non combat situations, say i find some unexplored planet am i able to beam down have a look around, and how that plays with pre warp civs. do i have the option to go down have a look around, during exploration there are plenty of references to crews examining pre warp civs, if you do indeed have that option how open is it, am i forced to adhere to the prime directive. on a side note i wonder if players will be able to expand the range of their chosen side, will exploration and discovery of new worlds expand the boundary's of your chosen sides space
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
There’s no direct “I quit” button; that’s not fun, and it’s super lame for PvP. But there are ways to escape. On the ground, if you’re losing, you can run for cover around the corner, and your shields will replenish quickly. That will give you a breather before jumping back into the fray.

If you really want to get out of Dodge, you can run from your enemies. If you get out of combat long enough, you’ll have the option to beam back up to your ship and regroup there. But there’s no way to leave during combat.
In terms of game mechanics, I guess there is no other solution to this problem. Agreed, it's not 100% true to the lore/canon, but you have to remember that after all, this is also a game.
If everybody could beam away anytime, this would take away any tension - at least for me.

So, I'm fine with it. After all, Ground Combat is not as important to me as Space Combat.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDekker
In terms of game mechanics, I guess there is no other solution to this problem. Agreed, it's not 100% true to the lore/canon, but you have to remember that after all, this is also a game.
If everybody could beam away anytime, this would take away any tension - at least for me.

So, I'm fine with it. After all, Ground Combat is not as important to me as Space Combat.
Hmm, I disagree.

Someone else mentioned it before, if you are loosing (or even winning) and you beam your away-team back to your ship, the other player (or NPC) wins. This will be as much fun as "not being able to beam back your team" but with the nice side-effect that your team is still alive.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Locked into combat 'to the death'...personal forcefields...5 man teams...beam only to one map location...no combat weather effects...is this STO or Halo Online?
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Multiple away teams, nice.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my hostile feelings towards these developments.

To all those who would say "It's just a game guys, it can't always be true to the lore", I say to you get out of town. This is supposed to be something new and different. Not just another MMO. I hope the Dev team is listening because if they think they can get away with releasing a new face on WoW it's going to backfire. If they were feeding us promising info we would wait indefinitely longer for the promise of a new and groundbreaking game.

There are consequences to beaming out, you don't win, but that might mean the difference between being able to come back and fight again. Run around the corner and wait for my shields to regenerate. Boy I can't wait for the first cry of "Hey no fair" like the old days on the playground.

I'm not trying to prejudge the game but I've said it before, I'm very skeptical.

Bottom line......I don't like the choices that are being taken away from the person who is supposed to be in command of the ship and crew. Starting to wonder whats next, we are going to find out that it costs latinum to go from sector to sector and ooopppsss....better go mine some dilithium before you leave orbit of EVERY PLANET!
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-11-2009, 05:28 AM
When will we get a Q&A on exploration and diplomacy sort of thing?

I want to know if I can go to an uninhabited planet I've just discovered, and after finding some interesting ruins on it from a scan, beam down with a sciencey group and explore them, maybe find some clues as to the origins etc, just because.

No fighting, no risk of fighting, just a nice archaeological survey. Scan an anomaly or a nebula, watch a star going nova, follow a graviton ellipse etc.

Looks like none of this will be possible as I'll be too busy balancing my shields to keep them up from constant attacks
Lt. Commander
# 28 Not sure this feels right.
08-11-2009, 05:58 AM
" If you really want to get out of Dodge, you can run from your enemies. If you get out of combat long enough, you’ll have the option to beam back up to your ship and regroup there. But there’s no way to leave during combat. "

Look I understand that you cant have a I quit button in an MMO- not fun for anyone at all. However In the shows they get beamed out of bad spots all the time. There must be another way to handle this.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-11-2009, 06:07 AM
The end conditions are a bit odd to me as well. It's logical in a way but doesn't fit into ST.
If you beam out, don't you... lose? You leave the location to your enemy.
On the other hand, they might want to shoot me down here if I had superior firepower in the skies.
Otherwise, the fight would be continued in space anyway no? Unless you're dealing with ship-less peeps (NPCs), thus a mission you can retry anyway.

I'd prefer that groups have teleportation-blocking skills/devices like a form of ECM (and have ECCM, worth testing no?). That's alot more ST to me, and would make for potentially interesting additional gameplay choices.
(Either counter/disable the ECM, or run away far enough from it)

Some esoteric counter that keeps track of how long you haven't shot or been shot at, belongs more in a non-teleportation world, where proving where you can stay out of battle can mean you've escaped. Throwing transporters into that equation makes that method feel... rather out of place...
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M34Life View Post
Can people please stop asking "end game" questions? I think it's currently a waste of time to hear about it and you are wasting valuable question time that could be put to better use. Why don't we worry about the game coming out first and what we'll be able to do in the game before we talk about how to beat it. It's an MMO. If you want to play a game that you can beat, go play something like Fallout 3. I look forward to playing the game for a long time before I try to beat it.
End Game is the LIFE BLOOD of an MMO. If the Endgame sucks you will not be able to keep players once they hit that point. Why do you think WoW focuses 90% of their content development into endgame raiding instances?

as for the rest of you:

QQ less. its not a freaking tv show. its a game. it needs to be balanced, and that means you can't beam out in combat. end of story.