Lt. Commander
# 31
08-11-2009, 07:38 AM
1. If Cryptic had to compare STO ground combat to another game what would it be? Nukem, Ghost Recon, Command N. Conquer (never played), DeadSpace? Just to give us an idea of what to expect.

2. If you are on a ground combat mission, do you HAVE to have 5 members? Typically on games like that I like the challenge of soloing. Plus there are times where I just don't have the patience to babysit pets, or have to worry that their AI is going to screw something up.

3. Are there going to be any mystery ground missions, where you have to solve a puzzle? Like a who dunnit? or similar to the STNG episode "The Chase"? I'd like to see missions where its not just acquiring items, combat, or talking to people, . I'd like to actually attempt to figure something out, and troubleshoot a problem to complete the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-11-2009, 07:42 AM
I just thought of another question.

If you have a particularly difficult ground or space mission in front of you, will there be an option to utilize your holodeck to simulate the mission? (Similar to the STNG episode "Chain of Command" where Picard, Worf, and Dr. Crusher practiced a mission before embarking on it).
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-11-2009, 08:15 AM
This was unanswered so far...

I'd still like to find out if Cryptic will put in defensive maneuvers into ground combat such as crouching, rolling, etc. or even finding cover.

If that's not going to be in at release, no worries. But hopefully there would be the possibility of implementing it in a future expansion or such.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Another case of premature rage?

I'm getting the impression some people think that an MMO is similar to other genres of games in that when released its a finished product: a start, a storyline, all its features all nice and polished, and an ending that brings closure and leaves you all warm and fuzzy with a sense of accomplishment.... when in actuality MMOs are a constantly evolving entity. They tend to be continuously improved upon (or at least developed) once released.

Why donít we refrain from burning it at the stake until we see a more solid representation of whatís being done with the game?

As for the Beaming out of combat etc: Cryptic- Perhaps a compromise?

We can even tie this in with the skill Kits. You stated earlier in this thread that the skill Kits starting quantity will be 2 and that our useable skills stem from these Kits. What about adding a third Kit for a different class of skill? Let's call it "Communications" or something to that effect, and have it be a cross-class skill.

Something all three major char types (Tactical, Engi, and Science) can use, and have its primary use be an "Emergency Transporter Call" or something similar. It could be a useable skill; allowing characters to call their units out of the fray, but add a long cool-down timer to it and it canít be abused. As for PvP, simply add the forfeit mechanic that would count a team's usage of "Emergency Beam Out" count as a win for the opposing side?

--edited for spellcheck--
Lt. Commander
# 35
08-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lictalon View Post
Another case of premature rage?

I'm getting the impression some people think that an MMO is similar to other genres of games in that when released its a finished product: a start, a storyline, all its features all nice and polished, and an ending that brings closure and leaves you all warm and fuzzy with a sense of accomplishment.... when in actuality MMOs are a constantly evolving entity. They tend to be continuously improved upon (or at least developed) once released.

Why donít we refrain from burning it at the stake until we see a more solid representation of whatís being done with the game?

As for the Beaming out of combat etc: Cryptic- Perhaps a compromise?

We can even tie this in with the skill Kits. You stated earlier in this thread that the skill Kits starting quantity will be 2 and that our useable skills stem from these Kits. What about adding a third Kit for a different class of skill? Let's call it "Communications" or something to that effect, and have it be a cross-class skill.

Something all three major char types (Tactical, Engi, and Science) can use, and have its primary use be an "Emergency Transporter Call" or something similar. It could be a useable skill; allowing characters to call their units out of the fray, but add a long cool-down timer to it and it canít be abused. As for PvP, simply add the forfeit mechanic that would count a team's usage of "Emergency Beam Out" count as a win for the opposing side?

--edited for spellcheck--
I'm not sure to whom you are referring to with the premature rage? Mostly what I'm seeing on these forums are ideas and suggestions. Especially since Cryptic is asking about follow-up questions. We should be greatful that they establish such forums. If anything I'm hoping a decision maker reads these ideas/suggestions and prioritizes them or perhaps even drives it to implementation.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonils View Post
I'm not sure to whom you are referring to with the premature rage? Mostly what I'm seeing on these forums are ideas and suggestions. Especially since Cryptic is asking about follow-up questions. We should be greatful that they establish such forums. If anything I'm hoping a decision maker reads these ideas/suggestions and prioritizes them or perhaps even drives it to implementation.
Ditto, I don't know what he is referring to? Some quote blocks would be nice, thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 37 So Far So Good
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Sounds, good so far, I haven't heard anything in thew ask Cryptic sessions that is a game breaker for me. I like that they may consider adding additional kits later. it's always better to start conservative and add than to take away later.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-11-2009, 10:02 AM
There are examples on this thread, but I was speaking in more general terms to a angry trend I've noticed lately. (Just IMO for the record) Nonetheless, I didnt quote them for that very reason: I didnt want it to turn into a pointless back and forth session, thus burying the original topic.

Back to the subject:

For the situations of ship-interior combat (which seems to be a likelyhood for missions/quests) or base-interior, will there be environmental factors? If your in a hallway and shoot a power conduit or something to that extent, will there be an appropriate explosion? Would that have any lasting effect on ship status, post-battle?
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-11-2009, 10:15 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! The PvP and PvE warzones are going to be awesome now that you can have multiple teams engaged at once! This is gonna be tiiiiiiiiight.

I also like that they are looking into species-specific bonuses for different environments. Cryptic- Please look into the Saurians, they would be an awesome race to have IG!
Lt. Commander
# 40
08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Quote:
There are examples on this thread, but I was speaking in more general terms to a angry trend I've noticed lately. (Just IMO for the record) Nonetheless, I didnt quote them for that very reason: I didnt want it to turn into a pointless back and forth session, thus burying the original topic.
Ah, I understand now... it was a general reference.

I've only seen a few people really go that far. We're lucky to have a very positive community here so far that is deeply interested in STO. To some people, specific details are important, and I understand wanting to discuss them. But I agree in a vague sense that elevating those little things to being critical to the entire STO project (and wanting to raze things over it) is a little much.

Quote:
For the situations of ship-interior combat (which seems to be a likelyhood for missions/quests) or base-interior, will there be environmental factors? If your in a hallway and shoot a power conduit or something to that extent, will there be an appropriate explosion? Would that have any lasting effect on ship status, post-battle?
Good question! It would be fun. To use a completely different game genre for comparison (I know, I know), titles like Diablo 3 will incorporate some of the environment for combat. For example, in D3, gamers would be able to destroy parts of the building around them to have it crumble and fall down upon enemies. Perhaps a misplaced shot (or aimed if you're trying to cause it) could rupture a plasma conduit and harm any characters/enemies near it? It would be a nice thing to have, but certainly not crucial.