Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 127
# 11
12-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
'Professionalism' my ass, it's an article on a game forum, hardly a Nobel Acceptance speech, it's a totally valid style of writing, and gets the point across perfectly, rather than being used for shock value...
Yeah, I've long since stopped caring when people complain about my use of cursing. In general, a person pointing out how 'rude' I am because 'ZONOES, CURSING!' is really saying "I have a kneejerk dislike of your point, but instead of engaging the point you made, I'm gonna proclaim you rude and dismiss you out of hand'.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 12
12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
You seem very very young. Cursing for a long time was considered by most educated people to stop at the word "damn" - anything beyond that was not considered rude but offensive.

The F word for most of its lifetime in English was restricted to the lowest and must uneducated of society - today it has moved into the more educated but lazy. Swearing is a lazy way to express an emotion - that is all. You use a swear word to draw attention because you cannot or are too lazy to try and convey a message in other more sophisticated words.

If your target audience is a bunch of lazy brats with fool mouths - then this language would be appropriate. If it is to a wider audience then it would be much wiser to rise above the swearing and use real words to convey meaning and emotion.

Since I take the time to write this in such detail, then it is meant with some sincerity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 127
# 13
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
You seem very very young. Cursing for a long time was considered by most educated people to stop at the word "damn" - anything beyond that was not considered rude but offensive.

The F word for most of its lifetime in English was restricted to the lowest and must uneducated of society - today it has moved into the more educated but lazy. Swearing is a lazy way to express an emotion - that is all. You use a swear word to draw attention because you cannot or are too lazy to try and convey a message in other more sophisticated words.

If your target audience is a bunch of lazy brats with fool mouths - then this language would be appropriate. If it is to a wider audience then it would be much wiser to rise above the swearing and use real words to convey meaning and emotion.

Since I take the time to write this in such detail, then it is meant with some sincerity.
At the same time, language evolves. Words such as 'knave' and 'scoundrel' were quite vulgar, and now are considered quaint and laughable. Proclaiming that a word is only used in one way for all time because it has been used or seen in that way during its past is to ignore the ever-developing nature of the English language.

That said, cursing is certainly not a thing to do constantly. One who uses curse words, any curse word, should be fully aware that it's going to be offensive on some level. It's meant to be. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be a curse word. One must weigh the potential of offense with the point one is trying to get across.

In this particular article, my use of the word '****' was intended to highlight the inherent absurd nature of any attempt to have more 'upper crust' discussions on a gaming forum (any gaming forum, really). The point was that the forum itself is not generally used for actual technical development, but rather a place to blow off steam and chatter about pretending to be space warriors in an SF setting we enjoy. The use of '****' was specifically meant as short hand for 'but don't take what I said *too* seriously, because in the end, I'm also ranting about a forum". While I could have said that with a more educated air, I am, at heart, a comedy writer, and brevity is the soul of wit.

I hope my response has been educated and insightful enough for you.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,388
# 14
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylawson View Post
Yeah, I've long since stopped caring when people complain about my use of cursing. In general, a person pointing out how 'rude' I am because 'ZONOES, CURSING!' is really saying "I have a kneejerk dislike of your point, but instead of engaging the point you made, I'm gonna proclaim you rude and dismiss you out of hand'.
Precisely. It's like a grammar nazi getting uppity and pedantic about a mistake someone might make, rather than addressing the point which has been made (or rather, getting uppity about the grammar because they can't address the point...) The F Word is the most versatile word in the English language: It's an adjective, a verb and a noun... I wonder how many people who were offended by the language of your article are also champing at the bit for the release of GTA V
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 441
# 15
12-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Precisely. It's like a grammar nazi getting uppity and pedantic about a mistake someone might make, rather than addressing the point which has been made (or rather, getting uppity about the grammar because they can't address the point...) The F Word is the most versatile word in the English language: It's an adjective, a verb and a noun... I wonder how many people who were offended by the language of your article are also champing at the bit for the release of GTA V
Why have I seen that particular phrase somewhere....ah yes, I just can't be arsed to remember the precise name of the video that comes from.

Ah, I remember now..."The History of the F-word..."
****
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,906
# 16
12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Grammar Nazi's bore me and I tend to ignore them in game or in the forums, regarding them as the obsessive compulsive neurotics they most likely are in the real world.
I found the articles to be humorous and informative, rather than seeming the ravings of some snobbish academic, the use of expletives gives a down to Earth appeal to the article, I hope to read more of them soon.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,388
# 17
12-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewstelamon01 View Post
Why have I seen that particular phrase somewhere....ah yes, I just can't be arsed to remember the precise name of the video that comes from.

Ah, I remember now..."The History of the F-word..."
If you say so, it's been an opinion of mine for a good ten years
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM.