Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Star Trek Online Ideas
12-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Star Trek Online Ideas
These are some ideas I have come up with that I or other people would like to see in future updates. I do not include some ideas that are already popular such as improved Klingon or the Romulan faction. If you have ideas you would like to add on or expand on these ideas please do. I know this is federation game play forum but this stuff can apply for both factions.

General
To merge all the sector-blocks into one giant map I know this is a old idea.

More star ships and to have another one of the make your own star ship contest like for the Enterprise-F for both the Federation and the Klingons.

When they finally improve crafting this might be a cool idea. That there will be 4 trees of crafting you can do but only one and the choices would be: Space Weapons, Space Consoles, Space Shields deflector and engine (sorry don?t know what that category would be), and the ground set. As you level up your crafting to different tiers though just crafting or maybe crafting related missions you get access to new weapon types or shields, etc. to a point where you can make hybrid modules or items that will come with extra bonuses. This I will think make crafting more fun with people needing friend or even fleets to help them get some cool stuff that you can?t get through regular play.

For future reputation system they should add the federation/KDf (depending on which faction you are on) were you can eventually gain cross faction stuff.

Duty and Bridge Officers
A way of leveling up your bridge officers so the more you use them on the ground they can gain some passive or active abilities.

To assign bridge officers to head of departments.

Missions where you can work with your duty officers such as when you have damage on your ship from the elite stfs or difficulties to go to more places on your ship interior to help fix the damage.

Foundry
More allies because you never know what people will come up with such as fighting with Cardassians or Jem?Hader.

To create your own alien species to develop your own patrol groups and own weapons.

To see your map in a more 3-d sense rather than having to try it then go back to editor and going back again.

Miscellaneous
I think cryptic should have expansion packs, where they will open up like 4-5 new sector blocks with its own 10-15 mission story line also adding new daily or side missions. Increase the level cap, add new species, and maybe a new stf or two. They can separate a pack into regular, advanced, or elite depending on which one you buy you can get new bonuses. They should also add new stuff or abilities that you can only get in the expansion pack but you can use throughout the whole star trek world.

When they finally increase the level cap to fleet admiral and there are no more ranks they should add a commendation system. This system is where you can gain new bonuses through completing accolades (if they were going to this they should take out the bonuses already gotten from accolades). The more you level up you can gain new passive abilities. Such as if you use phasers a lot and get the top accolade you can get a increase in large increase in phaser damage or other energy types depending on what you use. You would also be able to use this on damage resistance. Also if you like to use a multiple of energy types you can get a bonus for having pairing two or more up vice versa with damage resistance. Also you can use this for ground or crafting where if you use this or these energy types a lot you can craft better weapons of that energy type or shields that resist better to that energy type. And if you pair some together they can make something like a set and give you better passive or even an active power making your captain unique.

They should also add more side mission, a lot more. Going to new worlds where there will be cities or communities that need your help and will give you xp and sometime cool stuff that you can earn. If they could get enough they could make leveling up long so it no longer takes a single storyline mission to level you up. This will also add new maps and community places where people can hang out.
Captain
# 2
12-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard246 View Post

General

More star ships and to have another one of the make your own star ship contest like for the Enterprise-F for both the Federation and the Klingons.

When they finally improve crafting this might be a cool idea. That there will be 4 trees of crafting you can do but only one and the choices would be: Space Weapons, Space Consoles, Space Shields deflector and engine (sorry don?t know what that category would be), and the ground set. As you level up your crafting to different tiers though just crafting or maybe crafting related missions you get access to new weapon types or shields, etc. to a point where you can make hybrid modules or items that will come with extra bonuses. This I will think make crafting more fun with people needing friend or even fleets to help them get some cool stuff that you can?t get through regular play.
Designing new starships are a bit more invovled then just drawing a picture. You have to also come up with a set up and build for it, and then you have to also get it approved by CBS, who holds all final say in what comes into Trek.

Anyways, Cryptic is actually adding at least 4 more ships in the next few months.

Quote:
For future reputation system they should add the federation/KDf (depending on which faction you are on) were you can eventually gain cross faction stuff.
Erm... No. Lets not get cross factional with everything. What is the point of rolling a Klingon when you can get all the perks and none of the draw backs with a Fed toon? We are at WAR people!

Quote:
Duty and Bridge Officers
A way of leveling up your bridge officers so the more you use them on the ground they can gain some passive or active abilities.
This system is already in place. As you level up your boffs, they gain new active skills for you to use, one per rank. All boffs also come with passive traits that help either on the ground or in space. These traits vary based on the species of the boff as well as the quality of them.

Quote:
This is coming. Probably in the next few seasons or so.

Quote:
Missions where you can work with your duty officers such as when you have damage on your ship from the elite stfs or difficulties to go to more places on your ship interior to help fix the damage.
This would be impossible to do because the duty officer in game are basic pictures and stats. They are more like trading cards rather than full blown NPCs. While it would be nice to see more of them, I Doubt it would happen. too much coding invovled.

Quote:
Foundry
More allies because you never know what people will come up with such as fighting with Cardassians or Jem?Hader.
While Cardassians aren't available in the game as a set (I believe, haven't opened the foundry in a while). You can take your standard ally patrols and reskin them all to look like anything you wish. using this trick, you can have unlikely alliances or play with new and exotic alien races.

Quote:
To create your own alien species to develop your own patrol groups and own weapons.
See above.

Quote:
To see your map in a more 3-d sense rather than having to try it then go back to editor and going back again.
Been asked for since the beginning... Probably in the works.

Quote:
Miscellaneous
I think cryptic should have expansion packs, where they will open up like 4-5 new sector blocks with its own 10-15 mission story line also adding new daily or side missions. Increase the level cap, add new species, and maybe a new stf or two. They can separate a pack into regular, advanced, or elite depending on which one you buy you can get new bonuses. They should also add new stuff or abilities that you can only get in the expansion pack but you can use throughout the whole star trek world.
No... HELL NO!!! Cryptic has already said and stood firm on the belief that expansion packs, or the Season updates cannot and shall not be paid for.

Also, Cryptic has a relatively small team compared to other games, and thus cannot pump out that kind of volume of data within a time frame. With other games, it could be a few years between updates. Here, the game changes one every few months, which it needs to do in a F2P environment. Otherwise it would lose customers in droves between season updates.

Quote:
When they finally increase the level cap to fleet admiral and there are no more ranks they should add a commendation system. This system is where you can gain new bonuses through completing accolades (if they were going to this they should take out the bonuses already gotten from accolades). The more you level up you can gain new passive abilities. Such as if you use phasers a lot and get the top accolade you can get a increase in large increase in phaser damage or other energy types depending on what you use. You would also be able to use this on damage resistance. Also if you like to use a multiple of energy types you can get a bonus for having pairing two or more up vice versa with damage resistance. Also you can use this for ground or crafting where if you use this or these energy types a lot you can craft better weapons of that energy type or shields that resist better to that energy type. And if you pair some together they can make something like a set and give you better passive or even an active power making your captain unique.
Level cap is coming. And you already get passive bonuses form your accolades. Open up your character sheet and look under "Passive". you get bonus damage based on what weapon type you use, and bonus resist based on what damage you take.

Quote:
They should also add more side mission, a lot more. Going to new worlds where there will be cities or communities that need your help and will give you xp and sometime cool stuff that you can earn. If they could get enough they could make leveling up long so it no longer takes a single storyline mission to level you up. This will also add new maps and community places where people can hang out.
Again, what you described is aLOT of work. Alot of coding, graphics, design, gameplay, and others that you have to introduce. More Side missions would be nice and more variety of gameplay. But it would take time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Since S7 has started, why not a transwarp window to the Tau sector. That way it's a straight shot instead of doing all that traveling.
Ensign
My apologies for using your thread for this but since I cannot create threads even though I have been playing for almost 3 months as a gold member and this is a suggestion for something I would like to see in STO this seems like the most appropriate place until I can start a thread with the suggestion.

I would like a FED playable Orion added to the STO c-store, no advantages other than being able to wear the Orion cultural clothing and being green. I have all of the clothing unlocks available from the c-store, a lot of the ships, the joined Trill, and I have 3 KDF Orions but to be honest I don'r really like the KDF side of things as a player. I have not unlocked the FED playable Klingon because I have no interest in playing a Klingon.

My name pretty much says it, I want to be green. I have an alien that looks kinda Orion but its not the same, no one in Star Trek is as good at being green as an Orion, ask Kirk, he liked the green lady Orion rather well, until she tried to kill him at least. A lot of my skill points to get to VA on my main came from DOFFs and working my way toward ambassador. As a pacifist and Star Trek Fan since the 70s I really like the ability to advance without a lot of battles, but I have found the DOFF assignments on the Klingon side to be on the brutal side for my tastes.

In short, I really want to play an Orion but the KDF side is too brutal for me to ever put much money into, however I will continue to invest in my fun on the Federation side and a Federation playable Orion with cultural clothing would give me another thing I would be more than happy to buy from the c-store to enhance my enjoyment of STO and want to stick with it instead of continuing to look for a game in which I can advance while remaining mostly pacifist.

-Jadecait
Commander
# 5
12-10-2012, 05:47 AM
Quote:
This is apparently in the works for sometime during S8 or S9.

Quote:
No thank you. Or, if they are going to do this again, they need to find a way to allow everyone to take part, not just US residents. That sucked last time.

Quote:
I'd like to see ships make it into crafting, like the Delta Flyer used to be before they decided to take it out of the game and make people pay to have it if they wanted it. It'll not happen, but would be cool if it did. I agree that crafting needs to be revamped again though. Preferably without the Dilithium.

Quote:
No. Definitely not. There are too many people playing just feds anyways. If you allow them to get KDF items, ships, etc, then they may as well just remove the KDF faction.

Quote:
Duty and Bridge Officers
Why? Bridge Officers only really help you out while levelling and doing solo content at VA/LG. For most endgame content, they are not used at all.

Quote:
Already in game. Open your Duty Officer window and click Department Heads.

Quote:
Could be cool, but I agree with a previous poster. Too many DOffs out there, so the amount of work this would take is huge. Not really worth it for a minor effect.
Lieutenant
# 6
12-14-2012, 10:00 AM
only thing i really agree with is the one big zone map taking out the sector blocks and a transwarp to new rommie. the cross faction thing.. how about no on that. i'm more KDF and giving feds a BoP with battle cloak or any KDF ship would be the death of the game.
Ensign
# 7 Gameplay in general overhaul
12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
No offense but the official gameplay/story of STO is absolutely terrible. A number of the foundry missions make it look like the creators of this game spent most of the time on the game just fooling around than threw something together last minute. Most of the missions can be limited to one layout. Arrive to system attacked, beam to ground battle again, beam back to ship for final conflict. That's basically what majority of the official missions are. You don't even get to make choices that reflect your character. However in the foundry with player created missions you get to make choices of how your character acts, The story is nicely tied together with the gameplay where you are doing more than just shooting people. You are also given some optional objectives to complete that changes how the story ends up. Overall I think some of the players who created some of the missions in the foundry should be the ones making the content of this online game or the original creators raise the bar to regular standards of today's games. The player made missions make you feel more atmosphere and challenges of being a starfleet captain. I did enjoy the time travel aspect of the first season though.
Career Officer
# 8
12-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadecait View Post
My apologies for using your thread for this but since I cannot create threads even though I have been playing for almost 3 months as a gold member and this is a suggestion for something I would like to see in STO this seems like the most appropriate place until I can start a thread with the suggestion.

I would like a FED playable Orion added to the STO c-store, no advantages other than being able to wear the Orion cultural clothing and being green. I have all of the clothing unlocks available from the c-store, a lot of the ships, the joined Trill, and I have 3 KDF Orions but to be honest I don'r really like the KDF side of things as a player. I have not unlocked the FED playable Klingon because I have no interest in playing a Klingon.

My name pretty much says it, I want to be green. I have an alien that looks kinda Orion but its not the same, no one in Star Trek is as good at being green as an Orion, ask Kirk, he liked the green lady Orion rather well, until she tried to kill him at least. A lot of my skill points to get to VA on my main came from DOFFs and working my way toward ambassador. As a pacifist and Star Trek Fan since the 70s I really like the ability to advance without a lot of battles, but I have found the DOFF assignments on the Klingon side to be on the brutal side for my tastes.

In short, I really want to play an Orion but the KDF side is too brutal for me to ever put much money into, however I will continue to invest in my fun on the Federation side and a Federation playable Orion with cultural clothing would give me another thing I would be more than happy to buy from the c-store to enhance my enjoyment of STO and want to stick with it instead of continuing to look for a game in which I can advance while remaining mostly pacifist.

-Jadecait

I understand your request but I fear that if they added Orions to be playable in the Federation, then others would want Gorn and soon the KDF would have NOTHING unique left to offer.
Career Officer
# 9
12-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Personally, I really would like a place or two where you can have some downtime and read up on Star Trek lore (in keeping with the timeline) - perhaps a Museum Wing for each Academy, with interactive exhibits describing prominent members of the Federation, Klingon Empire, and key players in the 'Path to 2409', famous ships, and key events in the buildup to the present date.

I think it would be beneficial to people who may not be very familiar with Star Trek, to be offered a place to go in-game to read up on say, the Gorn, find weaknesses etc. This could also be tied in to an onboard LCARs library perhaps?
Ensign
# 10 some radom thoughts
12-22-2012, 10:18 AM
1) I would like some missions to upgrade several sites, i.e. Wolf 359, Romulan home world, etc. The are several area's where upgrades could be made; and this would be area's where Star Trek history and loure could be learned.

2) Start Star Trek off at an Ensign level, this could done if in the first mission (prelude to a crisis) the charater if a Chief/Warrent officer.

Advantages: A) Could use Older designed ships, get most of the training missions out of the way, teach patrol duties, end with saving the S.S. Azzure

Disadvantages: A) Not enough content in Star Trek Online to be useful.

Workable walk thur: Due to war with Klingon's and now Borg intervention, Starfleet has promoted the top two to three classes for space missions. The officer's need space and ground training, doing so in a front line ship is not an option. During the mission "Prelude to Crisis", the Borg beamed out all Officer's, A commisioned Warrent officer or Master Chief could take over. This would add up to 10 grades to the Star Trek mix.

3) Bring back the Comador Ranking. Replace the Rear Adminal Lower Half with the Comador rank. Star Trek TOS had this rank. This would add another 10 grades to the Star Trek mix.

4) When a Duty Officer is in Sick Bay, A visit by the ship captain could/would help with captain's reputation.

5) When Duty Officer passes of an away mission, a service could be a mission to help with captain's reputation.

6) Players are not going to visit the ship's interior. The way to encourage them to visit is to offer Duty Officer assignment's that they can only get by visitting the ship's interior.

Again, just a few radom thoughts.