Career Officer
# 51
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Has the American population gotten so low an attention span now they can't go 5 min without something exploding?

It has less to do with the American population and more to do with selling an international mass market product.

Everyone, in every country that has movie theatres, understands an explosion.

They understand chase scenes, and sex scenes.

No translation required.

Survivor of Romulus
# 52
12-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Most of us have seen way too many explosions in the real world.

And there is never any good reason for a Sex scene in trek (or indeed any other film)

Cut away to a fire place
a view of the stars
waves crashing on a shore

no one needs to see "kirk" getting down with the token Green chick
Captain
# 53
12-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Here are my thoughts on AbramsTrek.

2002: Star Trek Nemesis debuts. It is, to say the least, a critical failure.
2001-2005: Star Trek Enterprise runs. It, too, does not attain anywhere near the praise of its predeccessors. (I loved it, personally, but that's irrelevant.)

Following ENT's cancellation, the Trek franchise remains stagnant for a good four years - a first since TNG started up. Then, JJ Abrams makes a movie of his own. It is, both commercially and critically, a monster success. Two sequels are planned. New fans pop up every day, many of whom quickly become hooked on TOS and the other classics.

My point is this: while the Abrams movie may not have been traditional, it quite probably saved the Star Trek franchise.

This new one promises to be dark. Earth is thrown into crisis. Kirk's family apparently die out. Things seem hopeless. But as Bane put it in the last Batman movie, "there can be no despair...without hope."

The theme so prevalent in classic Trek - an enlightened humanity that strives for a better future - might make a comeback. It could even be the entire theme of this next movie.

So don't condemn Star Trek Into Darkness yet. For all we know, it could be the one that brings AbramsTrek in line with that optimistic theme we all love so much.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 54
12-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
And there is never any good reason for a Sex scene in trek (or indeed any other film)
The Sexual Revolution ended 40 years ago and you guys lost. Accept it.
# 55
12-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
The Sexual Revolution ended 40 years ago and you guys lost. Accept it.
Ya and now we have so many wonderful STDs to enjoy.
That said, Star Trek has had plenty of scenes where various characters are getting intimate but never any sex scenes, it isn't needed, would only cheapen the story and would blow the hell out of the films rating.
Career Officer
# 56
12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
I mustn't be much of a Batman fan. My first thought when I saw that poster was "Did they photoshop the reapers out?" It reminds me very much of the visuals in the mass effect 3 intro.

My only hope for this one is a more coherent story that doesn't require further explanation in book/comic form and a much better motivation for the antagonist.
Joined August 2008
Lt. Commander
# 57
12-04-2012, 09:29 PM
With the exception of AIDS, STD's have been around since people first started sleepin' around.

And the Sexual Revolution BEGAN 40 years ago, it's hardly over.

Each generation thinks that the things they do in the privacy of their beds is new...

The only thing NEW, is that people now Actually Talk About what they do in bed, In Public.

Damn the Prudes, Full Speed Dr. OZ ahead.

I like that the poster doesn't really give away what the movie is all about, but hints at what might be.

Last edited by herbie1966; 12-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 58
12-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
Has the American population gotten so low an attention span now they can't go 5 min without something exploding?
Chick Flick that way -----------------------> link
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Ensign
# 59
12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
While the 2009 movie was technically decent (tolerable story, filming that is as good as any other movie in recent years, acting that is at least half good) the problems I am having with this is that it is like every other movie that has come out in the last five years. That is to say, filled with as many shootouts, explosions, people hanging off ledges, et cetera... that they can possible cram into 2-3 hours. If I want to watch what WWIII will probably be like, I will go watch some of the Terminator movies. As it is, when I watch Star Trek, that is what I expect to see. And as much as I would like to be optimistic about this next movie, realistically the odds that Abrams will actually try to appease us true Trek fans are highly improbable.

The problem that we are seeing with these new movies is the exact same issue we've been dealing with here in the STO community, that being that it only exists so someone can make money off of someone else. They do not truly care about the series or what anyone wants it to be, all they care about is how they can make the most money for the least effort.

All this being said, I will still probably be one of the first people in that theater watching Star Trek: Into Darkness.
Lieutenant
# 60
12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The theme so prevalent in classic Trek - an enlightened humanity that strives for a better future - might make a comeback. It could even be the entire theme of this next movie.
The problem is that in 2009 (and likely in the sequel), Humanity is not depicted as striving for a better future, nor as enlightened as the TV series pointed out.
In the Abramverse it is just another futuristic Human military space organization.
That is the problem.