Career Officer
# 11
12-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonofclay View Post
Perhaps they should do away with fleets altogether.

In the words of Khan Noonan Singh: "We are one big, happy fleet!".

Combine all fleets into "Star Fleet" and have done with them. Then every member can contribute to adding stuff to existing Starbases and have their ships built at Mars.

This idea is the best yet. So many people who are captains and vice admirals who so don't deserve that title. I have seen games out there who used a top player basis for a leadership tier. Ship requsitions based on actual merits and player achievements i would totally dig.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Rihannsu
# 12
12-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Why is all of this negativity here?

Seriously making the officer of the watch reward 50 marks instead of 5 WON'T break the game, and frankly it's all I'm asking.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Founder and Current XO of Gamma Strike Force
Empire Veteran
# 13
12-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
If you are a fleet of 3-5 players, you are not really a fleet..

I can agree, I also think that 5 players are not really a fleet... however until 5 players are enough to create a new fleet, it's just an opinion... in the game 5 players can be a fleet.
Commander
# 14
12-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Because small fleet don't deserve a fast advancement in starbase projects.

Creating AND managing a big fleet is a lot of work. More peoples means more administration , more drama etc. So the fast progression to a T5 starbase is reward for the work.

That's at least my opinion.

I'm in a "big" fleet with over 200 members. But our leader is most of the offline and doesn't really about the managing. Thats why we are just at T3. AND the progression is really slow with all the needed dill, doffs and fleet marks :-) But I don't complain because I know that I always could try to join a more aktive fleet.
Captain
# 15
12-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Hey darius, could I ask you to post in slightly more readable fashion? I mean those massive blocks of text are usually full of goodness that I agree with, but I have trouble keeping my place sometimes... so could I ask for a little separation? kthx

Anyways, in response to this, yeah, small fleets are getting a little shafted, but guess what, fleets were not supposed to be small. The devs even said that the starbase system was designed for fleets of 25 or more members. So yeah, if you have fewer than 25 active members, you're gonna suffer a little.

Sorry.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
12-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Adding 50 marks to the officer of the watch is like putting a bandage on the blood gushing stump where an are of a leg just got ripped off.

Fact is Cryptic said small fleets while somewhat slower would still be able to advance and why that has never been completely true, they said the fleet system was going to be designed around the average 20 person fleet. Maybe more like 200 person, and now with all the season 7 changes kiss all that goodbye.

simple solution: once a fleetbase hits full tier 2 a fleet has the opportunity to "surrender" their fleetbase for a smaller more utilitarian ground base with very little customization options. The projects would then be the tier 3,4,5 shipyard, comm array, replicator projects and then the main tier upgrade ones, but at smaller fleet restrictions. restrict this option to 50 unique fleet members, and it cannot be undone.

I've already been working on a design proposal for the ground base.
Career Officer
# 17
12-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonofclay View Post
Perhaps they should do away with fleets altogether.

In the words of Khan Noonan Singh: "We are one big, happy fleet!".

Combine all fleets into "Star Fleet" and have done with them. Then every member can contribute to adding stuff to existing Starbases and have their ships built at Mars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Hey darius, could I ask you to post in slightly more readable fashion? I mean those massive blocks of text are usually full of goodness that I agree with, but I have trouble keeping my place sometimes... so could I ask for a little separation? kthx

Anyways, in response to this, yeah, small fleets are getting a little shafted, but guess what, fleets were not supposed to be small. The devs even said that the starbase system was designed for fleets of 25 or more members. So yeah, if you have fewer than 25 active members, you're gonna suffer a little.

Sorry.
Sorry dude, not on a pc at the moment. It's hard enough as it is getting these damn walls of text out on my nexus 7 lol. These things were not developed for 6'8" people sadly. Normally i try to edit my walls of txt after writing,but on here its a *****
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Captain
# 18
12-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Fleets are a component of the game, and a financial one for Cryptic. This is a good thing. Players who are part of Guilds, Clans, or in the case of STO 'Fleets' are 40% more likely to spend and stay longer. End of story.

And if fleet marks are your problem, you sir have no idea: wait till you get to Tier Three.

Starbases were never intended to be quick projects that 3 determined players could build on their own. STO was clear on that from the beginning. it. As you developed from 0 to 1, and then started 1 to 2... you could easily see the growth in costs. Math is Hard.

Fleet bases were intended to be long development projects for large groups. For most, it will be 16 months to get to Tier 4. A few are there now, and will cap out their fleet bases. Some even sell access to hard to get ships.

Throughout the process of building a Starbase, you fleet will have ups and downs. New distractions & dilithium sink-holes (reputation?) will appear and your build process will slow. My fleet is no different, we're stuck shy of Tier 3 mostly due to dilithium. It has forced us to be more organized, develop better internal policies and promote players from within.

The reality is that this process should STAY THE SAME. Small fleets will fold. You can carry fleet marks with you to new fleets. No you won't be 'Grand Pooh-Bah of Asteroid 393' any more, but you will contribute to a growing fleet.
Captain
# 19
12-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
Sorry dude, not on a pc at the moment. It's hard enough as it is getting these damn walls of text out on my nexus 7 lol. These things were not developed for 6'8" people sadly. Normally i try to edit my walls of txt after writing,but on here its a *****
Yeah, meant no disrespect, but it was gettin a little hard to read XD. But I do agree with what you were saying. If your fleet ain't large, don't expect it to be able to keep up with larger ones without some serious devotion on your part.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
12-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Or automatically split any fleet larger than 50 into fleets of 50