Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 151
Hi. It's nice to see all of you again. I was going to respond to the post made by Devoras but I felt I should make a completely seperate post all together. As he stirred up over 10 pages of responses.

I am most widely known as Captain Tripwire or Captain Glitch. Most recently I fly around as Captain Shift. I left the game when 7th Core became Nova Core but I am back now as one of 5 acting admirals for the fleet. Maybe some of you might disagree but I just feel at this point with the new grinds in place if you don't play and by some chance pvp is saved next year then it will be hard to catch up with where pvp will be once players have maxed out their fleet starbases and reputation systems.

In any case in the TSI thread by Devoras there was alot of talk about pay-to-win and "cheese" and what was cheese and is cheese etc. Sometimes there is also alot of talk about how cheesy Nova Core is or TSI or S.O.B. etc. and I feel the community really doesn't seem to be seeing the picture at large here.

Firstly, if you have a console on your ship. ONE console. YOU are pay-to-win. It is irrelevant if it is ablative or cloak on the defiant. It is a console that you payed for by buying a ship off of the c-store or zen-store or lobi-store, or lock box. Running one kind of console over another kind of console.... or one less console than the next captain or the fact that one guy can spam his console but you can't DOES NOT make you any better than anyone else with a console on their ship.

Secondly, the excuses made by any player to run whats broken to make the devs listen is absolutely ignorant. I agree with what some others have already said. And that is the only good to come out of this philosophy is driving more players out of pvp. And that price is too high given the circumstances of pvp in STO for the past three years to pay for getting the dev team to "listen". After all it is not their deaf ears that is the cause of pvp being the way it is. It is their lack of action towards any real solution to fix all of this that has lead us where we are right now. Cryptic has admitted to this. And what good is this kind of thinking if there aren't enough or even worse no players left to queue up once the problem has been corrected?

Thirdly there is a lot of slamming this fleet or that fleet going around. I will tell you from experience that TSI, and other very recognizable fleets have used faw with 100% accuracy, mines with ridiculous replication rates, point defense, torpedo spread or whatever was broken when it was "broken" or not working as intended since I have been playing. Maybe not their entire fleet, maybe not their entire fleet at the same time but certainly they have. But I know how good TSI is as a fleet as well as a pvp premade team. I like their players. I like their fleet. I consider the members that know me my friends. And I will tell you they have always had grade A players capable of beating other fleets without whatever the community deems is "cheese" or anything associated with the stinky stuff in the game. They have taught me alot. They continue to do so.

I say all this because what I don't think many (not all) in this community seem to understand is that we are fighting each other. It is not our fault things are not as balanced as we would like them to be. It is not our fault that Cryptic seems to care more about selling ships than making sure the ships they sell are slightly overpowered for pvE but BALANCED for pvp. I don't think whatever dev said that OP ships were fun was incorrect when it comes to players fighting npc's. But if that dev thinks for a second its fun when fighting other players..... well I don't think they should have their job right now.

I am not going to slam anyone for running what they want. And I am certainly not going to blame a ship or a console on me being blown up or my team losing in pvp. I agree with Mai Kai and I stand with him when it comes to members in Nova Core using consoles. Who am I or Mai Kai or YOU to tell someone who spent their hard earned money on a ship or a console not to use it? If we are talking tournaments then it is understood to be the exception to the rule. Tournament rules are in place to keep them fun and competetive without an unfair advantage for one side or the other. But in the public queue? It is not our fault that cryptic doesn't make a tournament queue for premade teams or add autobalancing to their public queues so pugs don't get rolled by premades all day driving them away from what makes pvp so awesome.

So with all that said I would appreciate it if we stop attacking each other. I don't appreciate my fleet being spoken so ill of when I don't speak ill of other fleets. This last comment is specifically directed at BROKEN from Risa Squadron who has no respect for anyone and who seems to find every oppurtunity to put down my players and my fleet. I assure you Broken, NONE of my characters needs a console to rip your best ship in half. I don't like seeing my friends in TSI being bashed on when they have been a pillar of this community since I started playing. We need to all respect each other and the state that this game is currently in. We need to settle on the reality that it is what it is right now and exhibit good sportsmanship and make the best of it until it gets better. And we cannot forget that at the end of the day this is about the pew pew and the fact that it is fun. So pew pew in fun and not in malice.

More funsauce, Eat baddies.

-Captain Tripwire-

p.s. If anyone in Nova Core is out of line in a match or not being an upstanding member of this pvp community mail @u.s.s.bloodmage or any of the other 4 admirals in charge. We want the best for STO pvp. And we wish all the pvp fleets the best.

Let no other player discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Though you may walk alone through looming shadows of doubt cast upon you by your enemies. Forge your heart with iron casting its shape out of only your pure will to push forward. You will not be denied eventually.

Last edited by tripwire690; 12-05-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
# 2
12-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire690 View Post
Firstly, if you have a console on your ship. ONE console. YOU are pay-to-win. It is irrelevant if it is ablative or cloak on the defiant.
You picked the worst possible examples. Both Defiant and Intrepid are free ships via the VA token.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 151
# 3 Still Free?
12-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Are they still free Hilbert? Thank you for replying. I wasn't aware of that. What do you think would make for better examples then? My point in listing those ships was to point out that no one considers them "pay2win". Unfortunately there are no consoles that are less pay-to-win than any other consoles. All consoles can equally be considered as cheese. They do not all have to be Theta Radiation or Anti-Matter Spread. A console is a console and a Zen-store ship is a cheap Lobi-Store version. I guess I find it ignorant that because you can spam some consoles but not others that either console may be less cheesy than the other.

Let no other player discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Though you may walk alone through looming shadows of doubt cast upon you by your enemies. Forge your heart with iron casting its shape out of only your pure will to push forward. You will not be denied eventually.

Last edited by tripwire690; 12-05-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,341
# 4
12-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire690 View Post
Are they still free Hilbert?
Only for long-term subscribers and lifers. The VA ship token is a vet reward.

What is wrong with "pay to win" anyways? Everybody can easily earn anything needed to get some "P2W" stuff without paying a single cent. If anything, it is G2W, "grind to win" - with the option to pay instead of the grinding.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,325
# 5
12-05-2012, 03:44 AM
You see, there are a few points in that post i'd like to flag up.

I've had numerous problems with NOVA members, and its always about what I fly. I fly a BUG, i saved the Energy Credits up and bought one out of the Exchange. And yet, every time i queue for Cap'n Hold, the same Nova member spots me and swears blind in Zone Chat i'm in an "exploit ship", that i suck, that i wouldnt stand two moments in anything else etc etc etc. I never had any problems in a Defiant. But all of a sudden i was being berated by him and then any other Nova in the game. And then the next and then the next, the only redeeming quality of always being singled out is how bad they are, makes winning the points all the easier.

Of course at the start i took it seriously, i actively tried to find Nova senior members to find out if i'd caused some offence, apon telling YOU i was insulted and /ignored. After that i just shrugged and realised that the only times i'd seen your members was when they were trying to bully individuals or berating them. The exceptio being Kid D who i see in the queues all the time.

I'm a Fleet Leader myself, and i would want to know if any of my fleetmates were harassing people. I guess theres a place we differ.

Of course these days i just laugh, i like the idea that certain individuals see me when i queue and will clak and wait for me and strive so hard. Its amusing.

When the topic of questionable premades that spam a certain skill come up, you guys are always mentioned soon after. There's never smoke without fire.

If you want to have clean hands, try cleaning your house.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 151
# 6 oh gawd yes...
12-05-2012, 03:44 AM
and what a grind we weave.

Let no other player discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Though you may walk alone through looming shadows of doubt cast upon you by your enemies. Forge your heart with iron casting its shape out of only your pure will to push forward. You will not be denied eventually.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 151
# 7
12-05-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
You see, there are a few points in that post i'd like to flag up.

I've had numerous problems with NOVA members, and its always about what I fly. I fly a BUG, i saved the Energy Credits up and bought one out of the Exchange. And yet, every time i queue for Cap'n Hold, the same Nova member spots me and swears blind in Zone Chat i'm in an "exploit ship", that i suck, that i wouldnt stand two moments in anything else etc etc etc. I never had any problems in a Defiant. But all of a sudden i was being berated by him and then any other Nova in the game. And then the next and then the next, the only redeeming quality of always being singled out is how bad they are, makes winning the points all the easier.

Feel free to mail me in game with who was harrassing you. I cannot control what happened when I was not an admiral of the fleet. But I am now. And it will not be tolerated.

Of course at the start i took it seriously, i actively tried to find Nova senior members to find out if i'd caused some offence, apon telling YOU i was insulted and /ignored. After that i just shrugged and realised that the only times i'd seen your members was when they were trying to bully individuals or berating them. The exceptio being Kid D who i see in the queues all the time.

You never contacted me about anything because only as of last week have I returned as an Admiral. And if you contacted me when I was not an admiral I would've told you to speak with Afterburner about the issue. And I purposefully do not have anyone on my ignore list. So clearly you must be mistaking me for another member of my fleet. If we can talk I will look into the matter.

I'm a Fleet Leader myself, and i would want to know if any of my fleetmates were harassing people. I guess theres a place we differ.

I share in your interest. Which is why I added the note at the bottom of my post. I would also say its why Mai Kai and Hilbert and Zorena responded to the post made by Devoras. We all want whats best for the community. I'm here right now putting forth an effort just like you and the other great players in this game.

Of course these days i just laugh, i like the idea that certain individuals see me when i queue and will clak and wait for me and strive so hard. Its amusing.

When the topic of questionable premades that spam a certain skill come up, you guys are always mentioned soon after. There's never smoke without fire.

So Nova Core has a questionable premade? No. We don't have a premade. When I think premade I think Aytanhi, Hammel, Era, Mew, Hilbert. I think of the original 7th Core members for those that remember them. Max, Eric Carter, Chako'te, Skye, Kek, Ellie. Or Qew. Kharns, Goose, Jorf....etc. All of whom I consider to be my personal PvP heroes. Nova Core does not have a premade. We have not for some time. But soon we will. And I will have 5 names to add to those I've already listed. And I assure you when we have our premade that we will be fully capable of entering any future tournament and happily adhering to tournament rules should the rules restrict the use of whatever console, ship, etc. But the public queues are "public" for a reason. I'm sorry if you cannot understand this.

If you want to have clean hands, try cleaning your house.
Cleaning our house is exactly what we are doing. Select members of the fleet have been removed while others remain in the fleet but have been demoted for the appropriate reasons. I assure you we are "cleaning our house". There are some things I could say about your guild. But I know how to be respectful and I know you dont represent the bad apples in your fleet as well. I hope we can work together to help this pvp community going forward my friend.

Let no other player discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Though you may walk alone through looming shadows of doubt cast upon you by your enemies. Forge your heart with iron casting its shape out of only your pure will to push forward. You will not be denied eventually.

Last edited by tripwire690; 12-05-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,545
# 8
12-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Bah, never mind - I don't care anymore.

edit: It comes down to do we want PvP to grow? If we chase everybody away, how can it grow?

Say I've had a bad day, I'm there in PUGland - there's some new folks PvPing for the first time. They're doing the herd thing - I hit them with Graviton, throw out the full Aux'd GW, Sensor Scan them, as they get closer to each other...it's the DOFF'd VM, Iso Charge, and a spread of Chrons. Somebody looks like they're going to get away - well, Subnuke them - hit them with Tachyon and a shield stripping Tractor - while a DEM'd PDS and DPB'd Trics are lost in the visual spam as the additional GWs pop have me forgetting about my bad day.

Sure, against a team - I'll be sitting there looking at the respawn button and wondering if I should go watch TV, have a couple of beers, and take a nap... against those first timers though - well, yeah...

Last edited by virusdancer; 12-05-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 151
# 9
12-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
While this is true, it ignores degrees.

Jerry hits Tom with a baseball bat. One swing. Jerry's assaulted Tom with a baseball bat.

BUT

Jerry hits Tom with a baseball bat. Three swings.

To Tom, it definitely matters if Jerry swung once or swung three times.

When the police come along to pick Jerry up, the number of swings is going to matter to them as well.

It doesn't change that Jerry assaulted Tom, however - the degree of that assault has changed and that degree matters.

It's not a case of making excuses for the use of a single console - it's not a case of saying that it's not P2W (there's no arguing that an advantage was bought); however you can't equate the following:

Tom bought an Oberth - he's using the EPM in his free RA ship.
Jerry bought a Karfi, bought some ASDs, bought a Draguas for AA, bought a Scourge for Theta, bought a Vandal for Leech, picked up a Tachyokinetic, grabbed AMS cheap off the exchange, and opted for more SWDs cause he's testing something with Tet Glider.

Now are we going to see posts complaining about Tom on the forums? Or are we going to see them about Jerry?

Both Tom and Jerry are P2W... but there's degrees. Tom's hitting you with a whiffle bat - Jerry's hitting you with an aluminum bat soaked in resin and dipped in broken glass...

Then take that into a team situation. You have 5 Tom's, they might have picked up a C-Store ship, etc, etc, etc. You have 5 Jerry's - they've put Cryptic employees' kids through college. There's degrees...

So this...



...is kind of a load of garbage offered by Jerry's trying to rationalize what they're doing.

No P2W Guy > Little P2W Guy > THE P2W Guy

There's degrees.

I'm a Little P2W Guy. I'm not the boy scout that helps old ladies cross the street that the No P2W Guy is - but I'm not THE P2W Guy that's mugging the old ladies for their social security checks.

There's degrees.
haha. That was awesome. Well written. Your point is well recieved. I want to focus on the fact that we are all pay-to-win. Some of us to lesser degrees than others but all of us have our hand in the pot at this point. There is nothing productive about hating each other to lesser or greater degrees because two people on his team or all five people on her team is tom or jerry. I'd also like to point out that until Cryptic deems it as inappropriate it is not only working as intended but designed the way that in fact Cryptic intends for it to be. With that said it is not the players job to police other players. The exception are tournaments in which us; the players, police our own rules to make the event as fun and successful a turnout as can be.

We have no authority to police one player who is a Tom or Jerry in the public queue and part of no fleet as we do to police a five man team in the public queue and part of whatever well known fleet name. You may not respect that player or fleet and that is your right. But the cheese we have in the game in whatever degree has been designed by Cryptic and until they deem their design flawed it is not our place to police what players or teams run on their ship in the public queues.

Let no other player discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Though you may walk alone through looming shadows of doubt cast upon you by your enemies. Forge your heart with iron casting its shape out of only your pure will to push forward. You will not be denied eventually.

Last edited by tripwire690; 12-05-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
# 10
12-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire690 View Post
Hi. It's nice to see all of you again. I was going to respond to the post made by Devoras but I felt I should make a completely seperate post all together. As he stirred up over 10 pages of responses.

I am most widely known as Captain Tripwire or Captain Glitch. Most recently I fly around as Captain Shift. I left the game when 7th Core became Nova Core but I am back now as one of 5 acting admirals for the fleet. Maybe some of you might disagree but I just feel at this point with the new grinds in place if you don't play and by some chance pvp is saved next year then it will be hard to catch up with where pvp will be once players have maxed out their fleet starbases and reputation systems.

In any case in the TSI thread by Devoras there was alot of talk about pay-to-win and "cheese" and what was cheese and is cheese etc. Sometimes there is also alot of talk about how cheesy Nova Core is or TSI or S.O.B. etc. and I feel the community really doesn't seem to be seeing the picture at large here.

Firstly, if you have a console on your ship. ONE console. YOU are pay-to-win. It is irrelevant if it is ablative or cloak on the defiant. It is a console that you payed for by buying a ship off of the c-store or zen-store or lobi-store, or lock box. Running one kind of console over another kind of console.... or one less console than the next captain or the fact that one guy can spam his console but you can't DOES NOT make you any better than anyone else with a console on their ship.

Secondly, the excuses made by any player to run whats broken to make the devs listen is absolutely ignorant. I agree with what some others have already said. And that is the only good to come out of this philosophy is driving more players out of pvp. And that price is too high given the circumstances of pvp in STO for the past three years to pay for getting the dev team to "listen". After all it is not their deaf ears that is the cause of pvp being the way it is. It is their lack of action towards any real solution to fix all of this that has lead us where we are right now. Cryptic has admitted to this. And what good is this kind of thinking if there aren't enough or even worse no players left to queue up once the problem has been corrected?

Thirdly there is a lot of slamming this fleet or that fleet going around. I will tell you from experience that TSI, and other very recognizable fleets have used faw with 100% accuracy, mines with ridiculous replication rates, point defense, torpedo spread or whatever was broken when it was "broken" or not working as intended since I have been playing. Maybe not their entire fleet, maybe not their entire fleet at the same time but certainly they have. But I know how good TSI is as a fleet as well as a pvp premade team. I like their players. I like their fleet. I consider the members that know me my friends. And I will tell you they have always had grade A players capable of beating other fleets without whatever the community deems is "cheese" or anything associated with the stinky stuff in the game. They have taught me alot. They continue to do so.

I say all this because what I don't think many (not all) in this community seem to understand is that we are fighting each other. It is not our fault things are not as balanced as we would like them to be. It is not our fault that Cryptic seems to care more about selling ships than making sure the ships they sell are slightly overpowered for pvE but BALANCED for pvp. I don't think whatever dev said that OP ships were fun was incorrect when it comes to players fighting npc's. But if that dev thinks for a second its fun when fighting other players..... well I don't think they should have their job right now.

I am not going to slam anyone for running what they want. And I am certainly not going to blame a ship or a console on me being blown up or my team losing in pvp. I agree with Mai Kai and I stand with him when it comes to members in Nova Core using consoles. Who am I or Mai Kai or YOU to tell someone who spent their hard earned money on a ship or a console not to use it? If we are talking tournaments then it is understood to be the exception to the rule. Tournament rules are in place to keep them fun and competetive without an unfair advantage for one side or the other. But in the public queue? It is not our fault that cryptic doesn't make a tournament queue for premade teams or add autobalancing to their public queues so pugs don't get rolled by premades all day driving them away from what makes pvp so awesome.

So with all that said I would appreciate it if we stop attacking each other. I don't appreciate my fleet being spoken so ill of when I don't speak ill of other fleets. This last comment is specifically directed at BROKEN from Risa Squadron who has no respect for anyone and who seems to find every oppurtunity to put down my players and my fleet. I assure you Broken, NONE of my characters needs a console to rip your best ship in half. I don't like seeing my friends in TSI being bashed on when they have been a pillar of this community since I started playing. We need to all respect each other and the state that this game is currently in. We need to settle on the reality that it is what it is right now and exhibit good sportsmanship and make the best of it until it gets better. And we cannot forget that at the end of the day this is about the pew pew and the fact that it is fun. So pew pew in fun and not in malice.

More funsauce, Eat baddies.

-Captain Tripwire-

p.s. If anyone in Nova Core is out of line in a match or not being an upstanding member of this pvp community mail @u.s.s.bloodmage or any of the other 4 admirals in charge. We want the best for STO pvp. And we wish all the pvp fleets the best.
Admiral Wolve here
Fleet Admiral for Sol Team 77
i agree with you just because i buy this ship or that ship to get this counsel or that one I nor anyone else should be bashed. I belive that its your ship and you should be able to do with it how you so desire. As for the bashing on fleet members 99.9 percent of us are adults we should act like it and stop with the school yard garbage. Things were well said tripp and Sol team 77 stands behind you 100%. any question feel fee to email me

Admiral wolve75
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM.