Commander
# 31
12-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxottoman View Post
Turkish RP Heroes offers in depth help by verbal communication. Due the time consuming nature of discussing all viable options by textual means, we have resorted to encouraging players that would like some help to join us on TS daily between 6pm and 1am Eastern time.

INTERNATIONALPVP.TYPEFRAG.COM:62245
Thanks Paxottoman

If I can find time in those hours, I'll pop on to visit you, but I am in the UK, and am usually at work during those hours.
Rihannsu
# 32
12-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Hm, why did you choose PH over HE?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Commander
# 33
12-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Hm, why did you choose PH over HE?
In my rebuild, I didn't. That was a typo... Oops. I've corrected it now.

In my original build, it was because I didn't realise AP:O broke tractor beams.
Career Officer
# 34
12-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
If by 'common decency' and 'self-respect' you mean 'Stick only to builds and tactics approved by the self-appointed PvP Masters' then, no, why should I? PvP is the competitive side to STO. Fun, yes, but competitive. So why not take advantage of what my ship can do and make my opponent's job that little bit harder?
No, I mean playing with integrity in the spirit of competition. It should be self evident why some of these console powers are frowned upon.

Quote:
"Genuinely doing it wrong"? Rofl... It's a GAME!!! How do you do it 'genuinely wrong' if what you are doing is successful? And I'd say contributing to 19 out of 20 kills with over 700k damage dealt is pretty successful. Maybe I didn't get the killing blow, maybe I did. That isn't the point. PvP arenas are a team effort. I'll grant you that maybe my build could have been 'more right', but I think 'genuinely wrong' is a little harsh just because I don't follow standard conventions.
Very easily in a game with so much misinformation floating around, like STO

Quote:
As it is, following some of the advice in this thread, I have swapped out some of my skills (including RSP), and have been trying to identify which of my 'genuinely wrong' consoles I can remove to replace with damage ones. Three of them don't get used too often, or don't contribute that much to my play style, so I think I can lose the Isometric Charge, the Theta Radiation Vents, and the Graviton Pulse consoles and still be considered an annoyance by my enemies. Will 3 damage bonus consoles allieviate your feelings of me doing it 'genuinely wrong'? I will admit, I am kinda curious how much of a boost these damage consoles will give me.
Last time i was playing each MkXI blue console adds approximately 6-8% overall dps, and they stack without diminishing returns.
Fill tac with tac is still my advice. And I know the defiant has more than 3 tac slots
Take it or leave it.

Quote:
My new skill setup is as follows:
Tactical:
2x TT1, TS1, 2xAP:O1, 1xCRF3, 1xCSV2, 1xTHY2
Engineering:
EPtS1&2
Science:
EH1, TSS2
That's much better, but I still say aoe dps is not as worthwhile as single target. In pvp, you aren't trying to damage many at once, you are trying to kill one as fast as possible. Unless you're spam clearing.

Quote:
I've not had a chance to try it out in PvP yet, but it does seem to make my ship nigh on immortal in PvE. The only trouble I had surviving in PvE was being swamped by a fleet of ships in the No Win Scenario, and being targeted by the gate in ISE. Even the gate probably wouldn't have been too much of a problem had I been paying attention, but I don't yet have the keybinds set up that was suggested in a post linked to earlier on in this thread since I wanted to get a feel for my new build instead of just automating a load of it
I cannot describe in words just how huge the benefts of keybinding a few defensive cycle powers onto a key is. And that benefit is dwarfed by the benefit gained from using seperate fire keys for DHC's and the rest/spike. eg: you use cannons, turrets and torps, so if it was me, i would be using 3 fire keys, to best optimise your spike timing.
Fancy an exclusive, extended 21 day trial of eve online?
Sign up (heck, it's free for almost a full month, using the link) and see what you think.
Empire Veteran
# 35
12-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantrainor View Post
No, I mean playing with integrity in the spirit of competition. It should be self evident why some of these console powers are frowned upon.
Honestly there is just so much whining on forums these days that I would not take anything seriously. If I refuse to use certain tactics/consoles it is because of my personal experience fighting against them or because of trusted sources that advice against it.
To a new player I can only say, play and see for yourself. In the end it is only a game and there is not even any ranking. You have to decide for yourself what you want to use.

Quote:
I cannot describe in words just how huge the benefts of keybinding a few defensive cycle powers onto a key is. And that benefit is dwarfed by the benefit gained from using seperate fire keys for DHC's and the rest/spike. eg: you use cannons, turrets and torps, so if it was me, i would be using 3 fire keys, to best optimise your spike timing.
I would keybind EPtS. That way you will always have it running and nobody will catch you off guard.You could also throw TT in there but that prevents you from using it on a teammate, so it's not optimal.
As for weapons, don't bother to micro them. Just put everything on autofire. Only the torps are worth firing manually. And even there it is questionable how good you can time your torps to hit the hull. It's not so easy to predict when someones shield is going to fail. I would fire them manually but even autofire might work for them.
Cannons and turrets... just use autofire.
Commander
# 36
12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Integrity? Honour? I'm not a Klingon

I can understand what you mean, but honestly, apart from one or two of the stupidly powerful consoles, I don't think they are that bad. Certainly the consoles I have on my ship aren't that powerful.

Besides, where is the honour and integrity shown by those people who love spawn camping?

Quote:
Very easily in a game with so much misinformation floating around, like STO
You've lost me? How is 19/20 kills and over 700k damage not successful?

Quote:
Last time i was playing each MkXI blue console adds approximately 6-8% overall dps, and they stack without diminishing returns.
Fill tac with tac is still my advice. And I know the defiant has more than 3 tac slots
Take it or leave it.
Yes, it does, but I already have one tactical console slot filled by my ADT. I know not many people seem to think it is worth it, but I think it is brilliant for picking off heavy torps and the like, so I'm keeping it

Thanks for the info on the damage consoles. I'll be taking a look at those sometime over the next day or two.

Quote:
That's much better, but I still say aoe dps is not as worthwhile as single target. In pvp, you aren't trying to damage many at once, you are trying to kill one as fast as possible. Unless you're spam clearing.
I agree with you here, single target would be better, but I am trying to keep a power set that can be used for both PvE and PvP, and AOE in PvE is really useful. I might be able to retrain some of my BOffs to allow for some switching around between PvE/PvP, but I've not looked at that properly yet. I was more interested in testing the surviviability of my new skill set.

Quote:
Now this, I understand. Last night when I was testing my new skill set, there were loads of times I took a little bit of damage because I had let TT slip. Having them all bound to the spacebar as one guy suggested would make keeping them up so much easier. Like I said though, I wanted to see how it all worked before I started automating parts of it.
Commander
# 37
12-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetam1 View Post
Honestly there is just so much whining on forums these days that I would not take anything seriously. If I refuse to use certain tactics/consoles it is because of my personal experience fighting against them or because of trusted sources that advice against it.
To a new player I can only say, play and see for yourself. In the end it is only a game and there is not even any ranking. You have to decide for yourself what you want to use.
This is pretty much my plan. Some of the consoles I have on my ship are there purely because I've not used them before and want to see what they are like. Others I had on there have already been removed.

As I said earlier, I think I can remove 3 of them and still keep the fun ones I'll want to use in PvP. Out of the 9 I had listed, the ones I'd keep are:

Cloak (Circumstantially good for PvP, but once it is deacticvated, it's useless until you either die or get out of combat),
Automated Defense Turret (I like it for picking off heavy torps, but most people seem to think it is useless),
Point Defense System (3 min CD 'Get those damned fighters off me' button. Not much use for anything else, and a long CD for PvP),
Subspace Jumper (Really, really, really looking forward to tsting this in PvP, but in PvE seems to be fairly circumstantial again)
Assimilated Console (like everyone else in the match doesn't use this too?)
Impulse Capacitance Cell (Again, a 3min CD on it, but it is a one-shot 'Get me the hell out of here' button. Good for brown sticky moments, but otherwise pointless).

So, I think there is not too much to worry about from my 'OP' consoles here.

Quote:
I would keybind EPtS. That way you will always have it running and nobody will catch you off guard.You could also throw TT in there but that prevents you from using it on a teammate, so it's not optimal.
As for weapons, don't bother to micro them. Just put everything on autofire. Only the torps are worth firing manually. And even there it is questionable how good you can time your torps to hit the hull. It's not so easy to predict when someones shield is going to fail. I would fire them manually but even autofire might work for them.
EPtS and TT would be the ones I bound. CD on AP:O is too long I think, so not that.

And yeah, turrets and cannons can go on autofire. Not torps though.
Career Officer
# 38
12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree here

Separating the fire from your DHC's benefits your spike potential in that you are firing your main weapon at it's maximum potential weapon power level and in that you are firing them close together. If you just autofire them and 2 turrets happen to go off just slightly before your dhc's are ready to go, then there will be greater lag between your first 2 DHC's and the other two, or one or whatever.
The more able you are to instantaneously maximise your energy damage, the more you can practice timing, say, torpedoes into that gap.
It's true though that it requires alot of micromanagement and practice to get used to though.

Single best change I ever made, in my opinion, to my DD play.

EDIT: I would be wary of binding TT to the same key as epts though. You want epts up all the time, but not necessarily TT. Keep those separate would be my recommendation.
Quote:
You've lost me? How is 19/20 kills and over 700k damage not successful?
It's just a number.

See?

700K, 20 kills, it's irrelevant information that gives no indication of... anything. There are simply too many variables for end match damage numbers to provide any meaningful indicator of performance.
Fancy an exclusive, extended 21 day trial of eve online?
Sign up (heck, it's free for almost a full month, using the link) and see what you think.

Last edited by dantrainor; 12-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Commander
# 39
12-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree here

Separating the fire from your DHC's benefits your spike potential in that you are firing your main weapon at it's maximum potential weapon power level and in that you are firing them close together. If you just autofire them and 2 turrets happen to go off just slightly before your dhc's are ready to go, then there will be greater lag between your first 2 DHC's and the other two, or one or whatever.
The more able you are to instantaneously maximise your energy damage, the more you can practice timing, say, torpedoes into that gap.
It's true though that it requires alot of micromanagement and practice to get used to though.

Single best change I ever made, in my opinion, to my DD play.

EDIT: I would be wary of binding TT to the same key as epts though. You want epts up all the time, but not necessarily TT. Keep those separate would be my recommendation.
Why not keep TT up all the time? It is on the same CD timer as EPtS, so can be permanently running if you have it twice, and it gives a rather nice 10% damage bonus, as well as keep your shields facing the right way.
Captain
# 40
12-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
Why not keep TT up all the time? It is on the same CD timer as EPtS, so can be permanently running if you have it twice, and it gives a rather nice 10% damage bonus, as well as keep your shields facing the right way.
Tac Team's shield distro has a five second gap

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples