Lt. Commander
the thing is... we actually dont even know whether the game is just for pvp gamers or they are just focusing on on part of the game and then they will move to another part like exploration, which in my opinion should tak more bulk of the game content then just territory fights. I am buzzing here tonight because i am still reading about balancing that and tweaking this within the range of something, that is just like other games which star trek shouldn't be - combat.
Lt. Commander
# 52
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgrimberger View Post
In terms of game mechanics, I guess there is no other solution to this problem. Agreed, it's not 100% true to the lore/canon, but you have to remember that after all, this is also a game.
If everybody could beam away anytime, this would take away any tension - at least for me.

So, I'm fine with it. After all, Ground Combat is not as important to me as Space Combat.
I honestly want to know less about combat now. It has been talked through over a year but star trek is mostly not about combat at all.
Lt. Commander
# 53
08-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonils View Post
1. If Cryptic had to compare STO ground combat to another game what would it be? Nukem, Ghost Recon, Command N. Conquer (never played), DeadSpace? Just to give us an idea of what to expect.

2. If you are on a ground combat mission, do you HAVE to have 5 members? Typically on games like that I like the challenge of soloing. Plus there are times where I just don't have the patience to babysit pets, or have to worry that their AI is going to screw something up.

3. Are there going to be any mystery ground missions, where you have to solve a puzzle? Like a who dunnit? or similar to the STNG episode "The Chase"? I'd like to see missions where its not just acquiring items, combat, or talking to people, . I'd like to actually attempt to figure something out, and troubleshoot a problem to complete the mission.
Yeah i second that! As i am crazy about the part "3" where i will be the one who solve things, descover things and do things... with something more then combat and ... mining or go there do that...
Lt. Commander
# 54
08-11-2009, 04:58 PM
You can't even explore your own dang ship, for heaven's sake. There's no after-hours raktajino in Ten-Forward, no classical music recitals, no gazing out the window in the conference lounge, no fencing in the gymnasium, no pets waiting for you in your quarters. (But hey, at least you can put racing stripes on your ship, right?)

Powers &8^][/quote]
Lt. Commander
# 55
08-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
I agree in general, although I think this particular Q&A had some good info in it. But right now this game isn't seeming very much like Star Trek.

Right now, I'm seeing gameplay as "pick a ship and a crew loadout, go out and take some missions, blow stuff up real good, and then come back to base." Yawn.

Where's the exploration? Do we really only have one beam-down point even when we're not on a mission? Where's the crew interaction? The episodes and movies are all about crew members working together to solve a problem. Here it's just you and your pets, unless you team up with some other captains for combat. Where are the non-violent solutions to problems?

You can't even explore your own dang ship, for heaven's sake. There's no after-hours raktajino in Ten-Forward, no classical music recitals, no gazing out the window in the conference lounge, no fencing in the gymnasium, no pets waiting for you in your quarters. (But hey, at least you can put racing stripes on your ship, right?)

Powers &8^]
I can just agrie!.
I just posted new thread about non combat content that - in my opinion - should the bigest part of game content. The keep updating us about fight and ... err fight again. But most of the star trek plot lines it's characters lived was about exploration, about their ships from INSIDE, about missions that very mysterious and interesting... And there is still no word about this king of content?

I wonder how will i play my way int the world? what tools i will have to determine wether the borg dron in my bay can be ceased with nano probes that we yet have to develop and design and how i will decide if the prime minister of this strange planet is lying about death of their president or not.

And yes i want to play sto because it's about universe where gazing to the star stars from my captain quoters is maybe minor part of the world, but this part what we envy to every captain while watching that series. Dont you you agree folks?
Lt. Commander
# 56
08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musterion View Post
When will we get a Q&A on exploration and diplomacy sort of thing?

I want to know if I can go to an uninhabited planet I've just discovered, and after finding some interesting ruins on it from a scan, beam down with a sciencey group and explore them, maybe find some clues as to the origins etc, just because.

No fighting, no risk of fighting, just a nice archaeological survey. Scan an anomaly or a nebula, watch a star going nova, follow a graviton ellipse etc.

Looks like none of this will be possible as I'll be too busy balancing my shields to keep them up from constant attacks
Exactly. its too much about tweaking my weaponry then playing star trek officer. if they keep going down with essentials of star trek kinda sense they loose me. Well yeah, they will keep mmo "kill all" players but this is star trek. Its not about fireing or mining to get money to get better ...well... to get better weaponry. I want story, i want be part of it and i want missions as series episodes. Otherwise its just another game that i have already grown up from.
Lt. Commander
# 57
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lictalon View Post
Another case of premature rage?

I'm getting the impression some people think that an MMO is similar to other genres of games in that when released its a finished product: a start, a storyline, all its features all nice and polished, and an ending that brings closure and leaves you all warm and fuzzy with a sense of accomplishment.... when in actuality MMOs are a constantly evolving entity. They tend to be continuously improved upon (or at least developed) once released.

Why donít we refrain from burning it at the stake until we see a more solid representation of whatís being done with the game?

As for the Beaming out of combat etc: Cryptic- Perhaps a compromise?

We can even tie this in with the skill Kits. You stated earlier in this thread that the skill Kits starting quantity will be 2 and that our useable skills stem from these Kits. What about adding a third Kit for a different class of skill? Let's call it "Communications" or something to that effect, and have it be a cross-class skill.

Something all three major char types (Tactical, Engi, and Science) can use, and have its primary use be an "Emergency Transporter Call" or something similar. It could be a useable skill; allowing characters to call their units out of the fray, but add a long cool-down timer to it and it canít be abused. As for PvP, simply add the forfeit mechanic that would count a team's usage of "Emergency Beam Out" count as a win for the opposing side?

--edited for spellcheck--
this seems to be veeery good idea and very...handy to put it into game. Hey Cryptic, this guy had done some thinking for you. You just need to implement it now. So go ahead, it's worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 58
08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
.....What if I wanna do combat in my own ship? What if my pet's want to mutiny and I have to take back the ship because I didn't keep the balance? What if I want to go plum crazy and get half of Starfleet after me? What if....I want to violate the Prime Directive?

AHHHHH......there's a term I don't hear nearly enough thrown around here. I guess it goes back to the aspects of gameplay I was looking forward to. Scanning a new world and discovering what kind of life forms it has. Should I send for a science vessel? If i'm in a science vessel how do I best go about coordinating a study from the planet surface of the local populace. And should the locals over run my science facility what levels of diplomacy or force should I use.

THAT is Star Trek. I'm a sucker for massive fleets facing off in battle as much as the next person. But why does combat have to be so stressed? I want it to run smooth, but I don't want it to be the focus. I don't know many trekkies who truly believe that the point of Trek was to vaporize new species the fastest. And I'm sure it's not what Roddenberry had in mind. I know i know....it's the story lines. And all that science talk is boring.

But who says two away teams from different species never laughed at the joke about the Ferengi in a Gorilla suit over some Romulan Ale eh?
Lt. Commander
# 59
08-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
THAT is Star Trek.
For starters, Star Trek is NOT Star Trek Online. STO is based on Star Trek, and I know Cryptic tries their hardest to be as true to Star Trek canon, but there are only so many things you can humanly do in an MMO.

After all, Star Trek encompasses a whole universe of possibilities while many other MMOs are focused on one world, one planet. Exceptions are EVE (among others), but then again in EVE you never get out of your ship, no ground-combat, etc.

All of that needs to be taken into consideration here. Many of us would love to have a wide range of features and possibilities, but much of it is not realistic for an MMO. What we can have is some good questing in a Star Trek themed MMO with the Federation and Klingon Empire, while looking forward to expansion packs to add more content, more factions, and more features over time.
Lt. Commander
# 60
08-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
For starters, Star Trek is NOT Star Trek Online. STO is based on Star Trek, and I know Cryptic tries their hardest to be as true to Star Trek canon, but there are only so many things you can humanly do in an MMO.

After all, Star Trek encompasses a whole universe of possibilities while many other MMOs are focused on one world, one planet. Exceptions are EVE (among others), but then again in EVE you never get out of your ship, no ground-combat, etc.

All of that needs to be taken into consideration here. Many of us would love to have a wide range of features and possibilities, but much of it is not realistic for an MMO. What we can have is some good questing in a Star Trek themed MMO with the Federation and Klingon Empire, while looking forward to expansion packs to add more content, more factions, and more features over time.
i feel the need to disagree. STO is based on IP of star trek online and the only reason to bring up star trek universe is - let me see - aha: to let the players live star trek universe. Btw star trek universe and its difficulty of creation might be veeeery discutable subject because lots of the content is computer generated and not man crafted as in regular whole fantasy worlds at "1 planet". As EVE online is actually very impressive it was not too difficult to bring this game to live becausw the only thing you interact with is another players star ship (or its debris : ) ). otherwise there are just stones in space (planets, asteroids) and fake star bases (you dont get to move inside of them, you just see one room you are in with your ship and thats it).
Forgive me my argumentative attitude please.

What i was trying to say: if we want to play shoot, loot and run, we would gladly go and played one of the millions games in there. However star trek online is based on world we dream about to live in and this world consists from interesting things. Combat is just small part of it. And if someone promises that they will bringe mmo game (as mmo principle is to offer a world and let characters to live in it) from that universe with that IP then we should expect to have the opportunity to be part of it as we know. And for sure in mmo and game development IT IS possible to do loads of things we dream off.

Simply enough unfrortunetly Star Trek online is about the wide range of things we would like to have, thats what star trek is never be anything else.