Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 11
12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Data is NOT a robot.

... Cyberdyne systems model 101 would kick his butt anyway.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
12-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Am I the only one who was watching all those robots everywhere and going, "Oh my god they're taking over! The end times are upon us!" But then when Data beamed in there I knew everything was going to be ok again!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 13
12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
That was awesome!

I can already hear Data saying "I am not a robot. I am an Android." to the guy narrarating the commercial.
Captain
# 14
12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Data is NOT a robot.

... Cyberdyne systems model 101 would kick his butt anyway.
Actually We've seen Data hold magnetically sealed doors open, as well as lift several heavy objects.

He faught the Borg, and survived severe explosions very close to him.

The 101 had a hard time holding a mechanically closed gate.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 15
12-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Actually We've seen Data hold magnetically sealed doors open, as well as lift several heavy objects.

He faught the Borg, and survived severe explosions very close to him.

The 101 had a hard time holding a mechanically closed gate.
Yep, Data can toss aside heavy rocks like the foam they are.
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Data

awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Career Officer
# 17
12-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Okay. This goes totally into left field but I think when you look at, clinically, what a robot is and what an android is, any android is a collection of robots.

Encyclopedia Britannica defines robot as "any automatically operated machine that replaces human effort, though it may not resemble human beings in appearance or perform functions in a humanlike manner."

So I'd argue that, for example, Data's arm is a robot. His fingers are robots. He is composed of many robots, guided by a central AI in a human-like appearance, which makes him an android.

In a sense, the "organs" or "systems" in an android are individual robots which, taken together, form an android.
Captain
# 18
12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Okay. This goes totally into left field but I think when you look at, clinically, what a robot is and what an android is, any android is a collection of robots.

Encyclopedia Britannica defines robot as "any automatically operated machine that replaces human effort, though it may not resemble human beings in appearance or perform functions in a humanlike manner."

So I'd argue that, for example, Data's arm is a robot. His fingers are robots. He is composed of many robots, guided by a central AI in a human-like appearance, which makes him an android.

In a sense, the "organs" or "systems" in an android are individual robots which, taken together, form an android.
Yes, you could say that but it would have to be in the plural. As a whole Data is not a 'robots', he is an android (he has even stated it numerous times). But I see what you mean here, he is a collection of small robots.
Lieutenant
# 19
12-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Anything + Data = Win.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
12-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I saw this ad on TV and was expecting C-3PO and R2-D2, or Cylons to show up....when heard the famous TNG transporter beam I died...about damn time.

although if they did put Cylons, it would not show machines in a good light.
K.I.T.T. is a cylon.

His technology was probably salvaged out of the dumpster the human cylon and the centurion jumped into in galactica 1980.

So wait. if K.I.T.T. is a robot....disguised as a car...doesn't that make him.....OMG
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln