Career Officer
I'm one week away from finally getting access to Mk XII space weapons (I never inflicted Elite STFs upon myself, normal can be frustrating enough with some PUGs) and I'm wondering a bit. Was it intentional that the Romulan space weapons are exactly the energy type Omega shields give resistance to?
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Captain
# 2
12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Doubt the devs thought that far ahead. For whatever reason at the start, the devs decided that Romulans will deal plasma and disruptor damage. Since Klingons already used disruptor weapons, then the devs thought to combine the two damage types together.
Captain
# 3
12-05-2012, 12:08 PM
No, the Omega resists are due to the Borg dealing almost exclusively plasma damage. I sincerely doubt this was intentional.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Captain
# 4
12-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I think it is intentional, or at least that they were perfectly aware of this when they added in the New Romulus rep and its Plasma weapons. They probably decided that not enough people PVP that it matters.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
I think it is intentional, or at least that they were perfectly aware of this when they added in the New Romulus rep and its Plasma weapons. They probably decided that not enough people PVP that it matters.
and yet when the PvP people complain about imbalance, they hop up and change stuff and nerf the hell out of others lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Captain
# 6
12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynder2012 View Post
and yet when the PvP people complain about imbalance, they hop up and change stuff and nerf the hell out of others lol
Most serious PVPers probably use Phasers, Disrupters, or Antiproton weapons. Maybe Tetryon, too... I'm not a huge PVP guy, though, so I dunno. Still, I'd think anyone who was playing PVP seriously before already steered well clear of Plasma weapons, so this wouldn't make a difference at all in their game.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Most serious PVPers probably use Phasers, Disrupters, or Antiproton weapons. Maybe Tetryon, too... I'm not a huge PVP guy, though, so I dunno. Still, I'd think anyone who was playing PVP seriously before already steered well clear of Plasma weapons, so this wouldn't make a difference at all in their game.
hahah, yeah that's true...plasma is really only good for PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Career Officer
# 8
12-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Well that depends - the top spec PvP weapons are hard to come by and hugely expensive - up until this point I've been getting by with the [Borg] stuff (and some Fleet but I'm not exactly thrilled by it) - the Romulan weapons could've been a nice boost to budget PvP'ers (since the mods are more favourable than the old Borg weapons) but given the amount of players running Plasma resists that's sadly not the case.

Now your only choice is either Fleet or uber-expensive Mk XII on the Exchange.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012