Ensign
# 681
12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackack1 View Post
Hi, I'm just now trying the new EXE & it says it's patching, but the speed is gawd-awful dialup slow. I have DSL so it should be more than able to download anything superfast, BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO. sto MUST download at the slowest speed possible. morons. Why can't they just post the update file somewhere and let each "client" to download the update at our own speeds? Whatever.

Anyways, I thought I'd post what I have from the "patch_trivia" file, just in case the new patch doesn't take.

So there ya go. Hope the slow-az patch installs. I'll keep you updated whichever way it goes.
Otherwise, I'll go back to playing BGO (Battlestar Galactica) instead.

UPDATE: I did find an updated patch from Perfect World here -
I downloaded the "Patch Update" - Patch 676-679: Released 11/27/12. BUT, it's a .cup file. How/where do you use this???????

Still patching game....

2nd UPDATE: Well, after downloading-installing patch for 3 hours, it crashed. Galdarn good-for-nothing. F-YOU, CRYPTIC.
according to this, it's Perfect World's proprietary patch file format, used for manual patches.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=772032

I just tried hitting Enter from the login and it didn't work, it just ran the game. No idea how to get this to work on STO.
Ensign
# 682
12-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Same issue for me --> Teamviewer. Closed that and everything works

Thanks for letting me know
Career Officer
# 683
12-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronowraiths View Post
Hello, I know the topic seems to have been solved but. What if you do NOT have Team viewer at all such as myself, and no other remote control software? Also have tried to reinstall, and disabled anti virus but not working still crashes right on log in.
Same here. Any other ideas?
Ensign
# 684
12-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I "fixed" STO by reinstalling Windows 7. Chances are the problem could be by the peoples computer itself.
Ensign
# 685
12-05-2012, 10:50 PM
clearing browser worked for me~
Ensign
Ok I know what I said before about jumping thru hoops.
And I still fill that way but I found a solution that I don't believe has
Been covered yet.. I'll give full description of how I found this so someone
More technical than me can give a proper explain action.

The short answer:
1) set your router to clone your computer's MAC address.
2) do a proper modem and router reset... Unplug both.. Plug in modem, wait for it to connect. Then plug in router.
3) play STO

The long answer (get some popcorn):

I was at work and connected to startrekonline.com with my phone.
Which I haven't been able to do on my computer. So I thought great its fixed!
Nope.
Computer still won't go website or play STO.. So I whipped out my laptop.. Same thing.. No website, no STO.. So then I tried my phone again.. Nope... When at home the Bluetooth connects to router .. So I tried using phone's network.. It connected.

I reset modem and router for new IP.. Still wouldn't connect.
I hit whatismyipaddress.com...
Basically it gave my provider's IP. And said I had a static address..

So I called my provider. They confirmed I have a DYNAMIC address..
And suggested I make sure my router was set properly for it.

I did. And it was correct.. Another dead end.. But..
I decided to look up if my router could be the culprit..

Which led me to this - http://forum.whatismyip.com/f2/my-ca...-router-t1676/

Basically blah blah blah -

Originally Posted by Shnerdly
Cable Modems in general use their own MAC and Serial Number for ISP subscription authentication. In the United States at least, they almost always use the MAC Address of the first device connected to the Cable Modem to get your external IP Address. If you have a Router connected you will have a given IP address. If you change that first device by connecting the computer directly to the Cable Modem AND reboot the Modem you will almost always get a new IP Address. If you change the first device connected to the Cable Modem and don't reboot the Modem you will, in most cases, loose Internet connectivity. If, after successfully changing the first device, you go back to the Router being connected to the Modem within a few hours of removing it and reboot the Modem again, you will, in most cases, get the same IP you previously had with the Router connected.

I have worked with Cable Modems from Various ISP's such as Cox, Comcast, Charter, Time Warner and RoadRunner when they were their own ISP and I have always found what I stated above to be the case.

I have found DSL Carriers to follow a whole different set of protocols.

Using a router that allows you to clone the WAN MAC simply allows you to get a new IP without changing you configuration when you are using a Cable ISP.
---

AH HA! Went into my router, found the button to tell it to clone my computer's MAC address ..
Restarted modem and router and game and website worked just fine..

No applause please.. Just send dilithium!
Ensign
# 687
12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphoenix View Post

The short answer:
2) do a proper modem and router reset... Unplug both.. Plug in modem, wait for it to connect. Then plug in router.
3) play STO

Nope.
Computer still won't go website or play STO.. So I whipped out my laptop.. Same thing.. No website, no STO.. So then I tried my phone again.. Nope... When at home the Bluetooth connects to router .. So I tried using phone's network.. It connected.

Cable Modems in general use their own MAC and Serial Number for ISP subscription authentication. In the United States at least, they almost always use the MAC Address of the first device connected to the Cable Modem to get your external IP Address. If you have a Router connected you will have a given IP address. If you change that first device by connecting the computer directly to the Cable Modem AND reboot the Modem you will almost always get a new IP Address. If you change the first device connected to the Cable Modem and don't reboot the Modem you will, in most cases, loose Internet connectivity. If, after successfully changing the first device, you go back to the Router being connected to the Modem within a few hours of removing it and reboot the Modem again, you will, in most cases, get the same IP you previously had with the Router connected.

I have worked with Cable Modems from Various ISP's such as Cox, Comcast, Charter, Time Warner and RoadRunner when they were their own ISP and I have always found what I stated above to be the case.

Using a router that allows you to clone the WAN MAC simply allows you to get a new IP without changing you configuration when you are using a Cable ISP.
---

AH HA! Went into my router, found the button to tell it to clone my computer's MAC address ..

That works too, except you end up in the situation where two devices on your network have the same hardware address, and that may cause problems further down the road. I'd keep an eye out.

Functionally, it's a bit of a workaround for the solution I gave earlier. Your router is pretending to be a different piece of hardware instead of simply asking for a new IP, but the end result is the same. Ultimately your goal was to get the DHCP server to give you a new IP address and that's what you accomplished.

That is a handy workaround for other unrelated situations that I hadn't considered, though. Good to know.

edit: You're always going to have a dynamic address unless you specifically set a static one. Dynamic addresses are assigned, while if you had a static IP, your ISP would have given it to you at the time you set up your internet. you manually configure computers with it. The only real use for a static public IP is if you're running a server of some sort. Your own webserver, mailserver, whatever. Internally, static IPs are useful if you're sharing files on a network, or more commonly, when configuring printers.

Last edited by dreadnutbutter; 12-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Commander
# 688
12-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphoenix View Post

The short answer:
3) play STO

Nope.

---

Ahh...wouldn't have thought of that. Yet another piece of information to assimilate...
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Rihannsu
# 689
12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
The resetting the IP nice Idea for those who own their own router, and not using the roommates router.
Ensign
# 690 Actual FIX
12-09-2012, 12:46 AM
i have figures out why the update launcher will not load on star trek online some peoples computers and they time out!!! it recently happened to my friend and it took us 3 days to figure out but what he did was log into his account from another computer and account guard asked for an authentication code from email which was used... but then the original computer/browser was deleted from the account so my m8 had to log in to the account guard and re accept their computer/browser

go to

http://sto.perfectworld.com/

login then click on my account

The Account Guard tools are on the secure portion of the website, and require a second login. To get there:

Click "Create/Manage Subscriptions"

Click on "Main Menu" in the upper right of the box.
Click on "Manage Account Guard"

if at any point it asks you for a password that has been emailed to you you have done it
after you have entered the password
you should see that your computer id has been added to the list so you can now play!!

cmon thats gotta be worth a few dlithium!!!!

PLEASE REPOST ON ALL PAGES U SEARCHED FOR AN ANSWER!!!!!

Last edited by afromaimer; 12-09-2012 at 12:48 AM.