Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
It's ridiculously loud and sounds like some sort of rocket. I never remember hearing the shuttles in the shows making a noise like this. I'd say it almost makes the shuttle assets unusable.

It was much better when there was no sound attached to the shuttles.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 2
12-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
It's ridiculously loud and sounds like some sort of rocket. I never remember hearing the shuttles in the shows making a noise like this. I'd say it almost makes the shuttle assets unusable.

It was much better when there was no sound attached to the shuttles.
Are you sure it's the shuttle and not the lingering and non-stop after-effects of the starburst? That starburst fx is unusable due to it's roaring rocket sound.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 3
12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I'm positive. Just create a new map and slap down a "Starfleet Shuttle Type 8" and you'll hear it.

Apparently whoever had the great idea to add the sound didn't take into account that shuttles wouldn't always be active, but could simply be parked. And if you add like 6 or so shuttles to a shuttle bay the noise becomes extremely loud.

Not to mention it doesn't even sound like any shuttle I remember from the show. Sounds more like a jet plane.

I'm afraid this is also something that will almost be impossible to get changed back, so we're probably stuck with it.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 4
12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
Yeah, I'm positive. Just create a new map and slap down a "Starfleet Shuttle Type 8" and you'll hear it.

Apparently whoever had the great idea to add the sound didn't take into account that shuttles wouldn't always be active, but could simply be parked. And if you add like 6 or so shuttles to a shuttle bay the noise becomes extremely loud.

Not to mention it doesn't even sound like any shuttle I remember from the show. Sounds more like a jet plane.

I'm afraid this is also something that will almost be impossible to get changed back, so we're probably stuck with it.
Alimac's shuttlebay must sound like a tornado. Ugh, I have a shuttle in several of my missions. This makes no sense. We can't animate the shuttle, so it's not like it's even useful in the sky. It's only really useful as a parked prop on the ground.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,420
# 5
12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah this really sucks.

Created 3 maps.

Space, seems normal.

But Outdoor or Indoor Ground Maps and the Shuttle makes exactly the noise you are describing, and it's a really crappy noise. Plus why would a parked shuttle be idling all the time.

Indoors it's notably worse.
Outside you could almost attribute it to ambient environmental noise, but inside ... geesh.

And indeed, the more you add the louder it gets.

Guess that solves that particular storytelling decision for me.
No shuttlebays.
No Shuttle landing sites.
No Shuttles ever on ground maps.

Unless they see fit to fix this.
YOu know, because it's freaking terrible.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 6
12-06-2012, 02:04 AM
My theory is that they added this to go along with the cutscenes where the shuttle is used (ie: Diplomatic Orders), but did not take into account the effect it would have on the Foundry prop. Since we can't animate it, mostly we just have shuttles parked, and the sound just makes no sense. Not to mention while it might be alright in a cutscene, it's very loud and distracting up close when you're trying to have other stuff happen.

I really don't feel I'm exaggerating this at all, because if you have a decent number of shuttles in a shuttle bay the sound builds up to the point where it drowns everything else out. And even one roaring shuttle makes no sense when it's parked.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 12-06-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 994
# 7
12-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Well that's a load of crap. Shuttles are silent, even when running. Does this happen in already published missions? I need to go through mine and see what's been messed up. At least it could be attributed to the fire and explosions in my mission, but it sucks that we wont get any more shuttlebays. I love seeing shuttlebays in missions.
*******************************************

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 8
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
Well that's a load of crap. Shuttles are silent, even when running. Does this happen in already published missions? I need to go through mine and see what's been messed up. At least it could be attributed to the fire and explosions in my mission, but it sucks that we wont get any more shuttlebays. I love seeing shuttlebays in missions.
All the shuttle props now retroactively make this sound. I don't really know what I'm going to do about it. Maybe I'll have to remove most of the shuttles from the U.S.S. Hyperion's shuttle bay. I'll definitely stay away from making shuttle bays in the future.

I just wish there was some way to get this feedback seen by someone. I'm not totally sure anymore whether even the Foundry bug forum gets read regularly by anyone.


Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 9
12-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
All the shuttle props now retroactively make this sound. I don't really know what I'm going to do about it. Maybe I'll have to remove most of the shuttles from the U.S.S. Hyperion's shuttle bay. I'll definitely stay away from making shuttle bays in the future.

I just wish there was some way to get this feedback seen by someone. I'm not totally sure anymore whether even the Foundry bug forum gets read regularly by anyone.
BranFlakes might be kind enough to pass the info to the appropriate sound tech folks, since I'm also not very certain who reads this forum casually.

I'll tweet him.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 10
12-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Actually this gives me a plot idea

one of your shuttles has a terrible engine fault and is building up to an explosion
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:30 PM.