Lieutenant
# 31
12-06-2012, 04:58 AM
Looks like a combination of disaster movies (ships crashing into cities, people running around, CGI demolitions everywhere) and a super hero movie.
Also, is it me or does it seem (at least from the trailer) that this movie will mostly take place on Earth...if so then that's not much STAR Trek as it is Earth Trek...
Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see...
Rihannsu
# 32
12-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddriver View Post
Looks like a combination of disaster movies (ships crashing into cities, people running around, CGI demolitions everywhere) and a super hero movie.
Also, is it me or does it seem (at least from the trailer) that this movie will mostly take place on Earth...if so then that's not much STAR Trek as it is Earth Trek...
Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see...
i think its you. The initial attack takes place on earth, but that might be 15 minutes out of a 2 to 2.5 hour film.

thats also a little like saying star trek IV, and first contact is earth trek. Those films are almost entirely on earth too (IV more so than first contact).

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission

Last edited by captainrevo1; 12-06-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: said nemesis instead of first contact
Lieutenant
# 33
12-06-2012, 05:08 AM
I agree, I must have exaggerated a bit there.

However I was pointing out the fact that many sci-fi movies nowadays seem to take place on Earth (Total Recall remake is the most recent that comes to mind - Transformers too). I guess that if there is any other setting, we can't have a scene where some large object crashes into skyscrapers, resulting in crowds running for their lives and CGI buildings being demolished. For some reason that seems to be popular nowadays...
Survivor of Romulus
# 34
12-06-2012, 05:14 AM
JJ trek 2 "wrath of Bourne" 20th century Eugenic superman Jason Bournehas been released from his cryogenic prison and is back
Career Officer
# 35
12-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Beyond all else, and this doesn't just apply to nu-Trek, I am just SICK and TIRED of movie directors having this obsessional, compulsive, need to make movies 'dark and gritty' these days.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Commander
# 36
12-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Beyond all else, and this doesn't just apply to nu-Trek, I am just SICK and TIRED of movie directors having this obsessional, compulsive, need to make movies 'dark and gritty' these days.
Go watch My little Pony :-P Even ST:NG and DS9 had some dark episodes.

It is just a trailer. I will wait until I have seen the entire movie to form an opinion .

ST 2009 was a great action movie garnished with sprinkles of StarTrek. Like TOS .
Where Kirk shoot first, gets demolished and THEN opens frequencies to state that he wants peace
Career Officer
# 37
12-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
Go watch My little Pony :-P Even ST:NG and DS9 had some dark episodes.

It is just a trailer. I will wait until I have seen the entire movie to form an opinion .

ST 2009 was a great action movie garnished with sprinkles of StarTrek. Like TOS .
Where Kirk shoot first, gets demolished and THEN opens frequencies to state that he wants peace
Yes - but emphasis on 'some' - whilst DS9 arguably leaned toward Dark and Gritty they at least knew where to draw the line and balanced the dark episodes with equally lighthearted ones.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 38
12-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcore View Post
The more important question is, who is the Blonde? The more I look at her, the more I think it's Elizabeth Dehner. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Dehner but doesn't she die in JJ's Where No Man Has Gone Before? I still think this guy moves like an augment though.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187h...g/original.jpg
All telekinetics are martial artists.

If there's no TV tropes page for that, there should be.

It's definitely an emerging trend, that reality twisters and telekinetic people use their powers viscerally to do a mix of martial arts and Superman-type stuff.

If they adapted "Who Mourns for Adonais" into as movie, Apollo would know kung fu and use escrima sticks.

If you want to show a god in a movie, I think you pretty much have to depict them as Neo from the Matrix or audiences won't buy it.

And I think Dehner and Mitchell are back.
Empire Veteran
# 39
12-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
So basically selling out the ST IP to appeal to a new dumbed down audience. Where are the real stories, why does everything have to be about an explosion every two minutes, if I want explosions I'll go watch Mythbusters. JJ should watch some of the TNG shows, Q Who was right up there along with episodes exploring the human condition such as The Inner Light, what it means to be sentient with The Measure Of A Man, these are some of the great stories that catapult Star Trek far beyond Star Wars and films of a similar ilk,

Roddenberry had a vision all right, the fact we are discussing this 50 years after that vision was first put to paper confirms that. It's up to us the real fans to ensure that his vision is not corrupted and violated in the endless search for $$$.
Selling it out? I just said this is an alternate version of ST; that much is obvious. This means that this new Trek goes on, and doesn't affect the old Trek at all; so how can you sell out the IP when the new version isn't even related to it, except by name?

Anyway, you still have the old Trek to enjoy, and it's completely untainted. There's nothing to violate or corrupt when the two versions are unrelated in all but name And sharing a name is not enough connection to be worth caring about over supposed corruption imo.

And real fans? Suddenly there's 'real' fans and other fans? That's much like you might tell a black man he isn't human... best not to go there, in either case.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Last edited by trek21; 12-06-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 40
12-06-2012, 05:44 AM
People - please stop with all of this Khan stuff. I'm getting sick of it. Khan this, Khan that... What's so great in Khan that you want to see him again? An idee fixe if you ask me.

Last edited by jjumetley; 12-06-2012 at 06:08 AM.