Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 312
# 41
12-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Yes - but emphasis on 'some' - whilst DS9 arguably leaned toward Dark and Gritty they at least knew where to draw the line and balanced the dark episodes with equally lighthearted ones.
And ST 2009 was not funny?
Bones was funny as hell.
And the scence where young Kirk trashed the oldtimer was hillarious

Or when Uhura found Kirk with the Orion girl?

And when Kirk saw Uhurua kissing with Spock?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 186
# 42
12-06-2012, 05:55 AM
cant wait to see this!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 961
# 43
12-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
Khan was given a starfleet uniform in Space Seed.
Its does and does not look like a Khan story. Looks like Garry Mitchell.

Link: Screen Rant Analysis: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Last edited by linyive; 12-06-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 941
# 44
12-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcore View Post
The more important question is, who is the Blonde? The more I look at her, the more I think it's Elizabeth Dehner. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Dehner but doesn't she die in JJ's Where No Man Has Gone Before? I still think this guy moves like an augment though.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187h...g/original.jpg

I was thinking Nurse Chapel (We know she exists in this Enterprise) but Dehner makes alot more sense. And her hair matches.



While this movie may not embody what Trek was at it's core, it looks like it's gonna be great fun to watch. I'm excited.
*******************************************

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 751
# 45
12-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Next Transformers Movie looks good ... oh wait ...

The good part is ... if JJ needs to "destroy" 1-2 Planets, every movie ... its gonna end soon

Star Trek : When Buildings Collapse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZguHLo-Yq0

Last edited by thutmosis85; 12-06-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 961
# 46
12-06-2012, 06:12 AM
After looking at the Japanese version, found here, I am starting to think they repackaged "Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan". Possibly J.J.'s trailer illusions.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,109
# 47
12-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Selling it out? I just said this is an alternate version of ST; that much is obvious. This means that this new Trek goes on, and doesn't affect the old Trek at all; so how can you sell out the IP when the new version isn't even related to it, except by name?

Anyway, you still have the old Trek to enjoy, and it's completely untainted. There's nothing to violate or corrupt when the two versions are unrelated in all but name And sharing a name is not enough connection to be worth caring about over supposed corruption imo.

And real fans? Suddenly there's 'real' fans and other fans? That's much like you might tell a black man he isn't human... best not to go there, in either case.
No Trek21, the name is what is used to sell it. If you went to watch the next Batman movie and it turned out to be a RomCom or the next Bond movie turned out to be another Bourne movie (some say it is) then they have used the name to sell a disaster movie. I cannot imagine a more powerful connection to an existing IP than it's name, I mean come on, it's Star Trek, what else can it be?

By real fans I mean us, there will be fans of the film that are not Trekkers and there will be Star Trek fans that have watched it since the first TOS was aired as I did on my mother's knee.

I thought the last movie was a good film in it's own right, but it wasn't Star Trek and I doubt this will be too. JJ is using the Star Trek IP to make a disaster movie that is losely based on Star Trek, he changes the story line to suit his own vision and in one fell swoop forced us to adopt a new alternative timeline as the current version of Star Trek. Make no mistake, this was done for $$$ and no other reason. People complain that Cryptic are sucking us dry with dil sinks and Zen sinks and EC sinks, but at least STO is more genuinely Star Trek than JJ.

This film will be good I'm sure but it is not Star Trek for me and I dare say for many others. Just like there were only ever two Alien movies (the rest sucked so bad no real fan would include them) Star Trek movies ended with Nemesis and I am hoping that one day they will continue from that point again.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,641
# 48
12-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
No Trek21, the name is what is used to sell it. If you went to watch the next Batman movie and it turned out to be a RomCom or the next Bond movie turned out to be another Bourne movie (some say it is) then they have used the name to sell a disaster movie. I cannot imagine a more powerful connection to an existing IP than it's name, I mean come on, it's Star Trek, what else can it be?

By real fans I mean us, there will be fans of the film that are not Trekkers and there will be Star Trek fans that have watched it since the first TOS was aired as I did on my mother's knee.

I thought the last movie was a good film in it's own right, but it wasn't Star Trek and I doubt this will be too. JJ is using the Star Trek IP to make a disaster movie that is losely based on Star Trek, he changes the story line to suit his own vision and in one fell swoop forced us to adopt a new alternative timeline as the current version of Star Trek. Make no mistake, this was done for $$$ and no other reason. People complain that Cryptic are sucking us dry with dil sinks and Zen sinks and EC sinks, but at least STO is more genuinely Star Trek than JJ.

This film will be good I'm sure but it is not Star Trek for me and I dare say for many others. Just like there were only ever two Alien movies (the rest sucked so bad no real fan would include them) Star Trek movies ended with Nemesis and I am hoping that one day they will continue from that point again.
You know, your talk about 'real' fans isn't helping your argument in my view. I'm still glad you think the JJ movies are good in their own right though.

But that aside, ST2009 is ST, but like I said, it is an alternate version of it. There is no unified ST anymore, with both the old and the new all in one; JJ Trek and Prime Trek are seperate imo, and I understand that. They have the same name and characters, but that is all.

I just can't understand why many others can't see that, or otherwise refuse to.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 941
# 49
12-06-2012, 06:55 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the JJ-verse is just as much Trek as the Mirror Universe. And that's all it is. It does not diminish the last 50 years, it is simply an alternate version. A more violent, aggressive version. But in this universe, Spock didn't grow his beard and Uhura doesn't show off her abs.
*******************************************

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,109
# 50
12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post

I just can't understand why many others can't see that, or otherwise refuse to.
My friend the reason is because, imo, Star Trek is not just a collection of stories, it's not just a collection of space movies, it is an idea, a vision, it is one man's vision of how the future could and should be. A future where war and greed, poverty and disease are all to be found only in history books. It is a vision of humanity in the near future giving us hope that we can weather the technological adolescence of the 20th century and where people aspire to be better than they are.

The reason TNG is so popular and why many of the other series are so revered is because of the interpersonal relationships between the crew. We watch them triumph over their own personal difficulties and at the same time watch them reach out the hand of friendship on their journey through the stars. We see them try to avoid conflict at all costs save their own protection and in defense of the weak. We see alien species working together side by side, not a hint of racial prejudice, to explore and learn and occasionally to defend the ideals of a united federation of like minded peoples from across the Galaxy. This is what Star Trek is to me, it's almost a holy reference guide to what we as a species can achieve both technologically and sociologically. This is Star Trek, this is the name given to this set of ideals and to one man's vision.

It is not about a bunch of egotistical hedonistic superheroes who shag anything that move, and blow up anything that doesn't. It's not about bar fights and one liners whilst people, cities and whole planets are disintegrated for no apparent reason other than it looks cool.

I for one would not feel Gene would approve and if it's not good enough for him it sure as hell aint good enough for me
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21 PM.