Lt. Commander
# 611
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Back in the 1960's Star Trek, Kirk nailed every woman he could. Also while the clothing was skimpy they could not show the female belly button. The show pushed the limits as far as they could.

Fast forward to 1980's TNG, counselor Troy had plunging neck lines but she was considered by most civilian and her planet had no taboo about nudity. When Picard was captured by the Cardassians she was "forced" by the acting captain to wear less revealing clothing.

The image isn't really about ST or even this game. The image is all about selling sex to horny young men. Sex sells to the typical male and that is what that image is all about. It doesn't upset me or irritate me or even surprise me that they traded for a hot babe. It is a marketing ploy pure and simple. The number of posts in this thread proves the success.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Captain
# 612
12-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandukutupu View Post
Back in the 1960's Star Trek, Kirk nailed every woman he could. Also while the clothing was skimpy they could not show the female belly button. The show pushed the limits as far as they could.

Fast forward to 1980's TNG, counselor Troy had plunging neck lines but she was considered by most civilian and her planet had no taboo about nudity. When Picard was captured by the Cardassians she was "forced" by the acting captain to wear less revealing clothing.

The image isn't really about ST or even this game. The image is all about selling sex to horny young men. Sex sells to the typical male and that is what that image is all about. It doesn't upset me or irritate me or even surprise me that they traded for a hot babe. It is a marketing ploy pure and simple. The number of posts in this thread proves the success.
Yes.... but as I said in my post, there are a million ways it could have been done more tasteful. In a half an hour I could make something with the same "assets" (Lolz) and have it be more tasteful.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 613
12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Tasteful is subjective. It honestly boggles my mind how all she's showing is a small amount of cleavage and it's somehow distasteful. Walk around a populated area on an average day and you'll see a lot more. Hell, watch primetime TV on an average day and you'll see a lot more.
Captain
# 614
12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Taste is subjective. That is true.

Women having money and an interst in spending it is not. Having your ad show a confused looking woman who is about to fall over because her **** threw her balance off does not say, "Ladies welcome."

It says, "This game smells of man funk, Red Bull, and bitter resentment."

Handsome Phaser Guy looked like a hero. T'Boobs looks like a moron.
# 615
12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Your new cover art of the half naked sex toy sucks rotten tribble turds.
Covenant of the Phoenix www.cotp.info
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.
Captain
# 616
12-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemeszaros View Post
Tasteful is subjective. It honestly boggles my mind how all she's showing is a small amount of cleavage and it's somehow distasteful. Walk around a populated area on an average day and you'll see a lot more. Hell, watch primetime TV on an average day and you'll see a lot more.
Small! Looks more like um all of it.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 617
12-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I guarantee you that you could take T'its, uniform, cleavage, high heels and all, and turn it into something far more worthwhile.
I guarantee if you took her, put her in Handsome Phaser Guy's pose, made her look at where she's shooting, but changed nothing else, she'd look 100x better.
  • A) The skirt and heels are off-screen in the proposed pose, so these are rendered a non-issue
  • B) The cleavage is argumably even more prominently displayed, considering that posture would jut her chest out a bit
  • C) Looking where she's aiming would drastically reduce that vapid air-head look.
  • D) Looking on-balance rather than about to fall on her face does wonders for her perceived competence.

You end up with a picture that makes her look competent without undermining the "sex sells" angle.

If I wasn't convinced I'd screw it up with my crappy outdated anime drawing style that I haven't practiced in literally years, I'd sketch up an example and upload it. >:C
Lt. Commander
# 618
12-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Yes.... but as I said in my post, there are a million ways it could have been done more tasteful. In a half an hour I could make something with the same "assets" (Lolz) and have it be more tasteful.
I never think selling anything based on sex is tasteful or moral. I am just saying, it is doing exactly what they wanted. However it has been stated there is nothing really "showing" in the artwork. To criticize this work, the combination of her leaning forward, the exposed cleavage, and the facial expression doesn't strike me as "natural" in any way shape or form. In short, it appears posed. All these elements in this work don't match up with the idea that this woman is supposedly in combat shooting at an enemy. Her body position is in a very unnatural mid-air dive. Anyone in this position would not have such a look on their face. She seems to be pondering what she ate for breakfast. She is not looking in the direction she is firing nor is she looking in the direction she is falling.

The male version he was in a fighting stance and as I recall, he was looking in the same direction he pointed his weapon. He also had a bit of a scowl on his face indicating he meant to kill something and not caress it. Women can look both mean and sexy at the same time. The current artwork just look stupid. But both stupid and sex sells.
-Wendy Black

KDF mission of honor and intrigue.
Career Officer
# 619
12-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
I guarantee if you took her, put her in Handsome Phaser Guy's pose, made her look at where she's shooting, but changed nothing else, she'd look 100x better.
  • A) The skirt and heels are off-screen in the proposed pose, so these are rendered a non-issue
  • B) The cleavage is argumably even more prominently displayed, considering that posture would jut her chest out a bit
  • C) Looking where she's aiming would drastically reduce that vapid air-head look.
  • D) Looking on-balance rather than about to fall on her face does wonders for her perceived competence.

You end up with a picture that makes her look competent without undermining the "sex sells" angle.
You mean something like this?

That took me maybe an hour to put together...granted I had to take a few creative liberties...

And just because I don't need cleavage, here's the exact same shot, in a Voyager-style uniform:

Who knows...maybe I'll play around and make a whole complete image out of it...
Captain
# 620
12-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Absolutely agreed.

Quote:
I never think selling anything based on sex is tasteful or moral. I am just saying, it is doing exactly what they wanted.
That's a matter of taste, and yes, things based on sex can be wholesome and tasteful. After all, family is based on sex when you really get down to it.

Quote:
The male version he was in a fighting stance and as I recall, he was looking in the same direction he pointed his weapon. He also had a bit of a scowl on his face indicating he meant to kill something and not caress it. Women can look both mean and sexy at the same time. The current artwork just look stupid. But both stupid and sex sells.
That I do not disagree with.

Quote:
If I wasn't convinced I'd screw it up with my crappy outdated anime drawing style that I haven't practiced in literally years, I'd sketch up an example and upload it. >:C
I'll give it a crack. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrynwoodsrunner View Post
You mean something like this?

That took me maybe an hour to put together...granted I had to take a few creative liberties...

And just because I don't need cleavage, here's the exact same shot, in a Voyager-style uniform:

Who knows...maybe I'll play around and make a whole complete image out of it...
Please do. If you got rid of the manicured nails and gave em' backgrounds these would be awesometastic.

BTW: where did you get the uniform models?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.