Career Officer
# 21
11-28-2012, 12:11 PM
FYI - all the Dilithium/Zen exchange indicates is the amount of Zen/Dilithium being traded in that fashion.

We have no way to know how much Zen is jut being bought directly from PWE itself to buy CStore items; and also, one thing I think market watchers are forgetting is the amount of Dilithium Ore created inn the pre-season 7 sell of /conversion of old STF items to Dilithium Ore.

In other words, if you have a character with a huge backlog of ore, chances are players aren't continuing to grind for new Dilithium ore all that much; and may actually be doing other content (stuff that gives marks); or taking a break all together as they wait for the announced tweaks, etc.

There is also the fact that SWToR has gone F2P - and some players (as has been said above) may have gone to give it a try (and some doing so again, as they wait for S7 fixes and tweaks.)

I honestly don't think the drop of about 200 Dill from Elite STF runs caused all that much volitility. The closing of the 'Officer Reports' Foundry wrapper mission exploit was probably the largest cause - as I really do believe a lot of Dil farmers used to have 10+ alts when they just logged in every day for 5 minutes on each one - got the 1440 + 480 for the SFA lore mission, converted it, combined the refined Dil on one mule character and logged out. Now, if they still use those alts, they're down from 1920 per character per day tom 480 per character per day.

In this situation, the 8K a day refining cap has more effect as well, as, since you actually have to play more of the game (time wise) to get dilithium, combined with the fact you need to Rep up also to get the better gear; instead of logging 10 alts in quickly each day; players are now concentrating on progressing one or two characters, and actually playing the game.

As for the less chat in channels - lets be honest - if you are actually playing and paying attention to the game; and not just alt swtiching and doing a click while standing in front of a console; hyou're not going to be able to type as much as you used to.

At peak play times, I've never had any issues getting a Fleet group together; or puging queues with the new 'Mark' content -m I don't think I've had to wait more than two minute sfor a PvE queue to pop when puging something of late. Also, I still see a lot of player instances in the social zones, so again, there does seem the still be a lot of players in STO. (but that anecdotal, like the majority of the rest of the evidence around here.)

It appears a lot of people dissatisfied with the S7 changes; and the Dil Exchange fluctuations want to immediately call S7 DOA and 'bad for the health of the game'. Problem is, it's too soon to do so, as until we have the full set of changes (like being able to convert Omega Marks to Dilithium at any Tier; the influx of items from the STF conversion boxes being unlocked in the next patch, Dill from the completion of Rep up assignments, etc.); we can't judge a rel positive or negative overall trend yet.

I do think though that as a result you do have more people playing STO - and less bots/farmers clicking for dilithium; and that alone WILL have an effect of the Dil exchange regardless.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Empire Veteran
# 22
11-28-2012, 12:55 PM
I think these data are completely overestimating the amounts of currnecies exchanged. You only see the changes in the amounts of currency posted, at least i guess that's what you use. But many people are just using the exchange to transfer currencies between characters or are just trying to make some profits by speculation and generate a lot of trafic in zen and dilithium.

I know people with 10k zen posting them and then removing offers to set them at another price. Of course it's accounted as a sale in your system but no one made a deal. These people are just generating a huge amount of spam in offers and I believe these data aren't accurate at all.

Last edited by diogene0; 11-28-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Captain
# 23
11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
But many people are just using the exchange to transfer currencies between characters...
If you doing that the exchange ratio would be the lowest possible to negate the possibility of someone buying it.

That being 25:1

Those transactions would perhaps be visible for a while but easy to discard since they are obvious.
Career Officer
# 24
11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
I think these data are completely overestimating the amounts of currnecies exchanged. You only see the changes in the amounts of currency posted, at least i guess that's what you use. But many people are just using the exchange to transfer currencies between characters or are just trying to make some profits by speculation and generate a lot of trafic in zen and dilithium.

I know people with 10k zen posting them and then removing offers to set them at another price. Of course it's accounted as a sale in your system but no one made a deal. These people are just generating a huge amount of spam in offers and I believe these data aren't accurate at all.
Trick being is those transactions are effectively invisible to me. In order for 1:25 transactions to be visible, the top rates for selling Zen would have be 1:25, 1:26, 1:27, 1:28, 1:29. The lowest I've seen is around 1:120-something. The market has to move a lot more for those things to be visible.

The Exchange only shows the 5 best rates for Selling Dilithium for Zen and Selling Zen for Dilithium. The rest of them are effectively invisible to a mere mortal like me. I'm well aware of the 1:25 technique, as I use it regularly myself.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 25
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Now I'm wondering if, since all the clickie Dilithium is out of the market (ie, earned with the Time:Reward all out of whack), what we're seeing is a more accurate evaluation of what Dilithium is worth? The clickie stuff across multiple alts is arguably dumping of Dilithium, no?
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Captain
# 26
11-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, people used Alts to run the Daily Clicky but it was always a sub-optimal.

And no, we are not seeing what Dilithium is worth since its WORTHLESS if you ignore everything that have a Dilithium tax on it.

That is you ignore Fleet Gear, you Ignore Reputation Gear, you ignore the DOFF grinder (that I bet everyone done ... oh, good luck on trying to sell those WORTHLESS DOFF packs because people are not going spend 270 Zen on a Blue Bartender, killing the Grinder just it even LESS attractive to buy those packs because before we could just thrown the white junk and get a green and then turn it into a Blue, with those costs? LOL, NO!) and you ignore the Free ships.

The only effect Dilithium have is Fleet progress but despite Cryptic trying their very hardest to put on MEGAFLEET OF FACELESS we ignore then, I could not care less about the Starbases because the utter divorced of reality they were based at (if the large majority of Fleets are 12 and less WHY IT WAS BALANCED FOR 25+ FLEETS?).

My suggestion is this ... ignore it, refuse to pay the prices and they get a system NOBODY uses.
Empire Veteran
# 27
11-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikahiro View Post
Trick being is those transactions are effectively invisible to me. In order for 1:25 transactions to be visible, the top rates for selling Zen would have be 1:25, 1:26, 1:27, 1:28, 1:29. The lowest I've seen is around 1:120-something. The market has to move a lot more for those things to be visible.

The Exchange only shows the 5 best rates for Selling Dilithium for Zen and Selling Zen for Dilithium. The rest of them are effectively invisible to a mere mortal like me. I'm well aware of the 1:25 technique, as I use it regularly myself.
Hm i don't know i usually put it on the exchange for 1-2 zen under the max price, it works well for me and i don't bother with the 1:25 rate. And I really think your stats are completely broken by speculators, I'm not sure you can address that.
Career Officer
# 28
11-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Dilithium was always worth Zen to me - whenever I contribute to my fleet, its generally NOT in the form of Dilithium, but commodities and such. I've also used it to buy and sell Unreplicatable Materials as well.

Different perspectives, I guess?

Geez, I would love to have more Blue Bartenders, or even a Purple bartender, but then I'm using them a lot for DOFFs and the like (tend to favor diplomatic and development assignments). I generally grind down rather than compact up; if I want upgrades, I do Exchange assignments.

I see your point for Fleet gear, but those were there before Season 7.
Career Officer
# 29
11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Hm i don't know i usually put it on the exchange for 1-2 zen under the max price, it works well for me and i don't bother with the 1:25 rate. And I really think your stats are completely broken by speculators, I'm not sure you can address that.
Probably not, sadly. Due to my lack of education on the subject, its difficult for me to parse the data, nevermind figure out what I'm lacking or doing wrong. So, well, record record and try anyways! Reading a lot of these posts has been great, so

Given the normal behaviors I've seen? Usually there are pools that seem a bit larger but aren't where "the action is" - I suspect its people who don't want to pay the going price, and are leaving their bids in place for the expected swings.

I was doing more speculation early on; I wouldn't buy Zen above a certain price, and would sell when the price swung at least 5 points the other direction. Sell all the Zen for Dilithium, then sit on it until it swung the other way again. Chances are I'd still be doing that except I've gotten hungry for Lobi :p

Normally the lows would be on the weekends, with the week's Dilithium high being on Thursdays.
Career Officer
# 30
12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Been over a week since I last tracked, although not quite a week since the last set of changes. I'm very curious to see how the weekend goes...

http://samonmaui.blogspot.com/2012/1...ing-12612.html

And I really wish I could find out if people are keeping their dilithium for themselves (ie, not using the exchange), or if dilithium supply is really that bad off right now. Of course, also keeping in mind that the fast foundry missions probably made up far more of the dilithium production than I personally suspected way back when

Oh, and when does school get out for kids and college folks? I wonder what that'll end up doing to the market.