Lt. Commander
# 1 Are Klingons really that tough
12-06-2012, 04:42 PM
I mean in any Trek series. They only seemed to act tough to me. I mean, how many times did we see Worf get thrown around in TNG (Michael Dorn actually complained that he was being portrayed as a wimp!)

Feats of Strength? Roga Danar physically overcame Worf, so did Riker in an episode

Resilent- with multiple organ backups? Usually they would be killed like anyone else, like in ST6, way of the warrior etc. They never seemed that impressive to me
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Worf was not a true Klingon

Firstly he grew up raised by humans
in the wrong gravity ,eating the wrong food and believing in the wrong ideals

KOR would have torn his arms off
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman70 View Post
I mean in any Trek series. They only seemed to act tough to me. I mean, how many times did we see Worf get thrown around in TNG (Michael Dorn actually complained that he was being portrayed as a wimp!)
This is confirmation bias talking. Yeah he got thrown around a lot, but he also kicked ass a lot too. If you cherry pick all your examples and put them in one youtube video of course it looks like Worf is a wimp.

Quote:
Feats of Strength? Roga Danar physically overcame Worf, so did Riker in an episode
When did Riker overcome Worf? Besides which, klingons weren't all that physically superior to humans. They're not like vulcans, and were never established as being much, much stronger.

Quote:
Resilent- with multiple organ backups? Usually they would be killed like anyone else, like in ST6, way of the warrior etc. They never seemed that impressive to me
Just because they're resilient in some ways doesn't mean they evolved to have resilience to rayguns.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Worf was not a true Klingon

Firstly he grew up raised by humans
in the wrong gravity ,eating the wrong food and believing in the wrong ideals

KOR would have torn his arms off
Klingons are supposed to be genetically, naturally stronger than Vulcans, who are supposed to be 3 times as strong as humans (DS9: Take me out to the Holosuite)
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman70 View Post
Klingons are supposed to be genetically, naturally stronger than Vulcans, who are supposed to be 3 times as strong as humans (DS9: Take me out to the Holosuite)
No that's not the line at all. Sisko says that vulcans are faster and stronger than humans, bajorans and ferengi - then points to Worf and Bashir as the only exceptions. The only exceptions to what though? Faster or stronger? Or both? He doesn't specify. He doesn't say klingons are stronger or faster than vulcans, only implying they might be equivalent in one or both of those areas.

But c'mon, take one look at Bashir and another at Worf and tell me they both have equivalent strength.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Bashir is stronger , smarter , faster and tougher than ANY other character in DS9 (and could probably match data in some areas ) he is a genetically engineered biot

Your basic Klingon is tougher and harder to kill (hand to hand) than a human or even a Vulcan
The Vulcan is stronger and has better reflexes (in 1 G gravity)
However the Klingon is more angry , better trained and able to kill
Vulcans are revolted by violence especially if they are the one commiting it

Of course the average Vulcan is also slightly more intelligent than the average TNG Klingon

Original series Klingons are smarter than TNG Klingons and of course better dressed

Of course the most dangerous character in DS9 is actually ODO he is a perfect combatant and as long as no phasers were involved could kill Everyone
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Bashir gets beaten up enough times on the show that the claim that he's the strongest guy on the show is obviously wrong.

His brain was genetically engineered because he had a developmental disorder. That doesn't mean he's suddenly Superman. He's only physically superior in terms of hand-eye coordination (beating Miles at darts) and reflexes (which is where the aforementioned 'Take Me Out To The Holosuite' becomes relevant).
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Solivax has the base of it.
Klingons are the same intelligence as humans for the most part but physically they have a anatomy more designed to survive thier natural enviroment which was rather harsh and had fierce natural predators hence the laced ribs, cranial plates and many redundencies in vital systems.
How else did he survive the spinal surgery that near killed him if not in part due to his klingon phsyiology.
As well klingon have enhanced adrenal organ so to speak and that is what gives them tjier violent demeanor and ability to "push on" in physical duress.

Sadly they have had little focus on such aspects of the Klingon in the series of shows.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
Bashir gets beaten up enough times on the show that the claim that he's the strongest guy on the show is obviously wrong.

His brain was genetically engineered because he had a developmental disorder. That doesn't mean he's suddenly Superman. He's only physically superior in terms of hand-eye coordination (beating Miles at darts) and reflexes (which is where the aforementioned 'Take Me Out To The Holosuite' becomes relevant).
He allowed himself to be beaten to protect his secret (that he makes Khan look like Rom)
He had laced subdermal tissues , accelerated healing , superior strength and reflexes and an IQ nearly as big as his EGO

oh and Clark kent gets his clock cleaned all the time
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
He allowed himself to be beaten to protect his secret (that he makes Khan look like Rom)
He had laced subdermal tissues , accelerated healing , superior strength and reflexes and an IQ nearly as big as his EGO

oh and Clark kent gets his clock cleaned all the time
You are making all of that up. Unless you can point out where they say he has superior strength, saying 'he let himself get beaten up' is such an ass pull. Particularly given that in many instances, he was taken captive against his will.

His brain was tinkered with and that's where his enhancements lie. The guy is thin and wiry and can't have that much muscle mass on him.