Rihannsu
# 1 Terminators are people too.
12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Just a random thought for the day.

It's always annoyed me how villains get bumped off left and right...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 2
12-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I like villains I can understand and/or sympathize with.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 3
12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
terminators are not really people but your right in saying they are sentient. What do you expect when someone is being bad you think someone will let them get a way with it. Its the classic battle of good verses evil. There is good and bad in all of us but in some there more good then bad and in other theres more bad then good. But you do get movies here and there with the big bad being centre stage etc.
Captain
# 4
12-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Well... Is something sentient, when someone (or something else) controls how sentient it is?

If it's not a natrual set limitation, then how can it truely be sentient?
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 5
12-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Well... Is something sentient, when someone (or something else) controls how sentient it is?

If it's not a natrual set limitation, then how can it truely be sentient?
I kind of think Skynet and the Terminators are like the Borg. The Terminators are drones, and Skynet is the voice of the Collective.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 6
12-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I kind of think Skynet and the Terminators are like the Borg. The Terminators are drones, and Skynet is the voice of the Collective.
Well Drones retain their (supressed) identity, and knowlege, and can learn expand their knowlege.

Skynet has deliberatly limited the terminator models to not be a ble to "learn too much".
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 7
12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
That's probably going to be a loaded issue that we are going to have to deal with in the not too distant future, the moral issue of machines being sentient slaves vs being non-sentient tools.
But for terminators that doesn't really apply. A terminator is a smart bomb, it's AI is a probability engine programmed with a library of scenario/solution options from which it selects that most effective to accomplish it's goal of killing humans while protecting valuable assets, being Skynet and other terminators. It doesn't contemplate it's own existence and it doesn't create it's killing solutions, everything it does is pre-programmed by Skynet. In the few instances where Terminators are seen defending humans, the assets/targets categories have been flipped.

Last edited by maxvitor; 12-07-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Who among us did not shed a tear when his little red eye went out in the end, and he didn't get to till all those people ?
Career Officer
# 9
12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garaks31 View Post
Who among us did not shed a tear when his little red eye went out in the end, and he didn't get to till all those people ?
(Arnold voice)"Now I know, why you cry..."
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Rihannsu
# 10
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Well Drones retain their (supressed) identity, and knowlege, and can learn expand their knowlege.

Skynet has deliberatly limited the terminator models to not be a ble to "learn too much".
Yeah, Otherwise you end up with Terminators like Weaver who decided that she'd be better of finding a way to kill Skynet.... she was ruthless..... She even killed a T-888 with her bare 'hands'.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.