Ensign
# 11
12-04-2012, 05:27 PM
anyone know what programs are required for STO? Like Direct X, VC, .net? i've tried direct X but it didn't help, trying everything else i can think of
Ensign
# 12
12-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I figured it out!!!!!
ITS STEAM!
well at least it is for me, I loaded up a program that told me everything that was going on on my PC, like what files where opening, closing, and registry etc, and i saw it tried to load some files in my steam DIR right before it crashed. i renamed my steam DIR and STO loaded up perfetly. undid the rename and now STO crashes again.

so I'm 99% sure it has something to do w/ steam.

try it and see if it helps you
Ensign
# 13
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwahn View Post
I figured it out!!!!!
ITS STEAM!
well at least it is for me, I loaded up a program that told me everything that was going on on my PC, like what files where opening, closing, and registry etc, and i saw it tried to load some files in my steam DIR right before it crashed. i renamed my steam DIR and STO loaded up perfetly. undid the rename and now STO crashes again.

so I'm 99% sure it has something to do w/ steam.

try it and see if it helps you
Care to explain further?
Ensign
# 14
12-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrandaestrum View Post
Care to explain further?
what is there to explain? I renamed my steam dir, STO loads and plays, i undid the rename and STO stops working. argo, something in steam is causing STO not to play. (im not playing sto though steam, so I dont even know why its reading anything from steam in the first place
Ensign
# 15
12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Iam having the same issue but I didn't dl mine through steam it iwll work for a day then crash is there a fix for it comming
Empire Veteran
# 16 Post-Season 7 Crashing
12-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Ever since Season 7 went live and patched, the game has started crashing randomly for me too. It can happen the second I hit the loading screen, or it could wait 5 minutes and then collapse. I have verified all files every time, nothing changed. I disabled on-demand patching as always, no change. I uninstalled the entire game, re-installed the whole thing, and re-patched the whole game, it still crashes. Every time it crashed it would give a "Fatal System Error" message. These messages would often mention something about an error while creating a 2D texture, or a malfunction with Direct3D support. Then I would get the Cryptic Crash handler, and I would file a report. I have sent easily 22 messages literally at this point; I continue to have problems.

I am also running Windows 7, 64-bit. Intel i5 Dual core, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA graphics card. I have DirectX 11 installed and was using the 11 Beta in the Troubleshooting section of the Video settings until this error. Then I switched back to DirectX 9, but it didn't help.

A final note, for the brief few minutes I can play before crashing, I've noticed the graphical level I can play the game at has suddenly plummeted. I could play the game at a customized high with great looks and sped until Season7, and now beofre the crashing i am choppy at even the Low level.