Career Officer
# 171
12-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingtran2 View Post
with all the debate about is he Khan or Garry Mitchell, just thought of something, why can't Benedict be a Completely New Villian?
Because mainstream Hollywood is devoid of originality.
Joined August 2008
Captain
# 172
12-08-2012, 12:15 AM
"Is there anything that you would not do for your family" there's got to be a clue in that, what Star Trek villain had a family?
Captain
# 173
12-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
All Japanese manga is aimed at children
thats why everyone is in school uniform
Here in Japan comics focus on a number of demographics that can be listed as: Young boys, young girls, teen boys, teen girls, 20 something men and 20 something women, and finally middle aged men.

If the character is in a uniform its either because the intended audience is in a uniform, or because pervs get off on it.

Regardless, there is a wide variety of material meant for a wide variety if people. Compare that with the American industry that is focused on aging babymen.

Quote:
Its pretty much Banned where I come from
but then so are a lot of things
Welcome to the wider world. It might be scary at first but if you can get over your programming you'll come to love it.

Last edited by twg042370; 12-08-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 174
12-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
"Is there anything that you would not do for your family" there's got to be a clue in that, what Star Trek villain had a family?
I think that line was aimed at Kirk. Plus, the description states that 'sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew'
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Career Officer
# 175
12-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Quote:
with all the debate about is he Khan or Garry Mitchell, just thought of something, why can't Benedict be a Completely New Villian?
I wouldn't object to the idea at all.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Lt. Commander
# 176
12-08-2012, 01:21 AM
The part that kills me about all this debate is that nobody takes the Trek Movie vs Trek Series argument in context with the time it came out.

When Star Trek TMP came out, it was pretty "dark and gritty" too. Vaporizing a woman? Wut?!

TWoK was, for it's day, a special-effects fanfare.

Star Trek III, the evil Klingons wipe out dozens of innocent Federation crew on the Grissom in a single shot, and then go on to kill Kirk's son..That was pretty racy in 1984. We're talking about the same era that billed Red Dawn as "The most violent movie in history"...

It's really not so different from what JJ Trek is today. It doesn't have the same 'feel' as a TV series because it's 2 hours long, not 7 seasons. How much exploration do you want to do in a feature-length film?

All of the Trek movies have been more action-packed and action-oriented then the shows, with the exception of a few episodes of DS9. But as someone said earlier, the movies always found a way to try and keep it somewhat light-hearted and found a way to keep it from taking itself too seriously. Like Cochrane's shenanigans in First Contact.

JJTrek does it too. It's got a serious plot, it's got lots of cutting-edge special effects, it's got lots of action, and it kicks in a little comedy and romance, too.

Just like every Trek movie to date..

Last edited by wunjee; 12-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Captain
# 177
12-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Quote:
JJ Abrams said the villain is from TOS.

The actor who plays Bones slipped up during an interview and said he was Gary Mitchell.
Career Officer
# 178
12-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
JJ Abrams said the villain is from TOS.

The actor who plays Bones slipped up during an interview and said he was Gary Mitchell.
Could just be misdirection.
----
Captain
# 179
12-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
Could just be misdirection.
Because J.J. Abrams is sooo good at that. Oh.... wait....
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 180
12-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I am saddened by the fact that this generation has to use Picard as the Star Trek measuring stick.

When I read "More Batman then Picard" I cringed.

Kirk is a rough and tumble '60s serviceman, Picard is a stuffy professor.

You guys REALLY need to watch TOS.

JJ seems to be remaking TOS which would be awesome because it's mostly not PC.
"Zero, Zero, Zero...Destruct, Zero"

Last edited by thlaylierah; 12-08-2012 at 10:41 AM.