Career Officer
# 41
12-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
This just proves the point. Torsional stress gets greater the larger the object is. It's the same reason that fighter jets can do all kinds of fancy maneuvers but bombers basically fly in a straight line. (I suffered through engineering school in RL. We studied this kind of thing.)
Well, while it's certainly true that it's not a particularly smart idea to do this with large craft we have today we've also seen larger ships in Star Trek do it without getting torn apart...at reasonable speeds.
For example in "Time Squared" we can see the Enterprise-D sucked into a...I'll show you:

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...rgy_vortex.jpg

anyway into this and the ship goes in with its rear and first.
So she orients herself 90 degrees "up", while her engines are fighting the effect...without any stress tearing her apart.

Not to mention in STO, when a ship can orient itself 45 degrees "up", another 45 or 90 shouldn't be a problem since there's no gravity or aerodynamic stress affecting the ship...at a reasonable speed of course.

*EDIT: and to avoid such stresses, we've seen a simple solution in Star Trek 2: move up and down without changing the ship's orientation. *
Commander
# 42
12-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
Imagine

You click on join elite STF
A admiral calls you on the comm

Caption your ordered to the Klingon border
Cordinates 341 mark 12 proceed with all haste.

The Borg are here, the fleet is sending all available
Ships . Meet up with the fleet at the tykon nebula
Make Starfleet proud

Hanson out

Now along the way several missions can happen
Rescues, SOS calls, morality missions ect

When you arrive 4 other players arrive too and you 5
Proceed into the STF
Hell no! If I click on Join STF, I want to join an STF, not do some random crap that has nothing to do with it.
In some points, story logic has to give way to comfortable accessibility of content.
If players have to slog through random content in order to get into an STF, STFs will be deader than dead.
Commander
# 43
12-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Well, while it's certainly true that it's not a particularly smart idea to do this with large craft we have today we've also seen larger ships in Star Trek do it without getting torn apart...at reasonable speeds.
Big ships in Trek can do that because of the Structural Integrity Field embedded within the ships hull frames.
Without that, they'd even break in half just from orbiting Planets . It's the same effect that happens when you pull up a big rope over a larger distance. Even though it's as taut as it could be, the middle part will hang through simply due to gravity.
Career Officer
# 44
12-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Well, I just watched the JJ Trek II trailer for the first time and it appears that the JJ-prise is sliding across the bottom of San Francisco Bay while shoving tons of water out of the way with no ill effects to the structure.

Apparently JJ made his Enterprise out of diamond. The engineer in me cries.

Edit: I know, magic structural field and all. Apparently there's been advances in technology so that a starship in bad enough shape to fall to the earth can still maintain its electronics.

Porthos is not amused.

Last edited by collegepark2151; 12-09-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeratk View Post
And all the attempts to put it in, had been a failure so far.
Interaction with NPCs get boring quite fast. You would need a single 20hrs Story to make it more interesting, but this is far too much work to implement it in a game like this.
Exploration, as it is designed, too. Go here, collect that, fly there collect that as well.
Puzzles/Experiments: All there is are minigames at the moment, and most of it gets boring after the 2nd run.
I'm not sure it's at all possible to get right, but it's definitely not possible for Cryptic, as they've demonstrated. Repeatedly. The Diplomacy dialogue-only missions were interesting exactly once (if that).
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Ensign
# 46
12-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspidey2 View Post
Hell no! If I click on Join STF, I want to join an STF, not do some random crap that has nothing to do with it.
In some points, story logic has to give way to comfortable accessibility of content.
If players have to slog through random content in order to get into an STF, STFs will be deader than dead.

If you dont like it, then beter and go play EVE
Captain
# 47
12-14-2012, 06:52 AM
I have to say, the space combat mechanic is the most well-executed part of this game, in my humble opinion. It's what I'd been wanting since my old Starfleet Command days. Very much a "Trek" feel from where I sit, but then again, DS9 may be my favorite series of them all. Those big Dominion War fleet engagements were pure fanboygasms.
Ensign
# 48
12-19-2012, 02:54 PM
personally the biggest combat killer for me isn't the pew pew or the fact that I'm laying waste to thousands of lives at a time without ever giving them the chance to surrender, no no. For me its the fact I can't go fricken verticle.

Here I am in space and theres this magical field that stops me at a 55 degree angle and I can't get any closer to a 90. Somehwere along the advancements in technology our 360 degrees turned into 220.
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-19-2012, 05:56 PM
It's not a space sim.

It's extremely rare for us to see anything in Star Trek move on a Z axis.

Ships tend to move forward, backwards, left and right. Kind of like space zeppelins more then actual spacecraft..

As far as Star Trek space combat goes, the movement ingame is pretty accurate..
Ensign
# 50
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
right, tell that to the makers of star trek 2 the wrath of khan.

I'll admit that in most maps it doesn't matter. But it can be pretty infuriating in the vault trying to go between we weavers. I find myself spiraling to get to a straggler all the time.