Lt. Commander
# 11
12-09-2012, 05:38 AM
I'm having this same problem while testing - it doesn't matter what map or which mob I'm fighting. They aren't falling through the floor, they're just vanishing mid-combat.

So far it's happened to Borg NPCs, Breen, Devidians, and Fek'irhi. On the ground, it seems to occur more often when my weapon causes knockback. It is possible that the short time that knockback effects leave the NPC stuck may be enough for the AI to delete it.

I haven't seen any NPC disappearances in space.
Rihannsu
# 12
12-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Hmm... that reminds me.... in space it seems to happen most often when the AI gets hit with a tractor beam. But in space they always seem to relocate to the zero point on the map.

Each time it's happened in an interior ground map, the characters have also moved to the center of the map. (on some maps this is empty space on some it's part of a room)

Exterior ground has them move to the extreme SW corner of the map.

It happens to my Boffs a LOT on ground. Tripping over a rock causes them to warp to the SW of an exterior ground map.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 13
12-09-2012, 07:08 AM
I did some more testing and made pictures.

My new testing confirms my earlier hypothesis. My Boffs WERE getting relocated to the zero point on the map.(the location of 0/0/0 coordinates)

For some reason on ground exterior maps the zero point is (at least sometimes) outside the actual map.

before

Here we have a tiny wall that barely protrudes above ground.

after

But my boffs "trip" on it and warp to the zero point. Yeah, I can see the location of my boffs on the mini map. I've had this happen in at least one other exterior ground map and it was the same location then too.

Prior to season 7, this same scenario would cause my boffs to stop moving and stand there like idiots.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 12-09-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Captain
# 14
12-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Well, although I can verify that the preview causes mobs to disappear randomly I can also 100% say there has been no problem with that once published on live.

Not saying we're good here or anything, but, at least it's not happening out there.
Rihannsu
# 15
12-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, publishing caused the issue with boffs to disappear. I remember Zero said something about how pathing is calculated when you publish so it could be related to that.

I have no idea how a pathing issue causes the game to blank an NPC's coordinates, but whatever....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Career Officer
# 16
12-09-2012, 12:49 PM
The problem seems to be how NPCs handle the lack of pathing data in preview. However it used to work was better. They still got stuck and didn't know how to get around, but they could at least perform on a basic level.

It's especially annoying that this happens in space, because frankly pathing data usually shouldn't even be needed in space, since it's so open anyway.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 17
12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Yeah, publishing caused the issue with boffs to disappear. I remember Zero said something about how pathing is calculated when you publish so it could be related to that.

I have no idea how a pathing issue causes the game to blank an NPC's coordinates, but whatever....
I think this is what happened with "Relics." There is eventually a building set to be on top of the spawn point, so somehow the boffs are spawning somewhere else. But I can't really reproduce the bug.

If we can figure it out, then we could make missions without away teams.