Career Officer
# 21
12-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
I can honestly Say I see and Talk to Devs alot. They frequent the Test Server Channel not the normal Ones. There may not be alot on the forums supporting Cryptic, But there also are NOT ALOT of the forums HAting on Cryptic, yes theres more hate then Praise. But You can NAME everyone of us on the forums EASILY. We are that few compared to the actual population and thats how it typically Is. But When the bulk of the players complained about DILithium in the Rep system, Look how quick it got added. Was next Patch pretty much. When the Mass of the Players Speak they Move. When the Minority of us Gripe, they do not. Majority Talks, Minority Walks is how it Always is in a MMO. Bulk complaints Are dealt with Over the small ones. If the Glitch is considered Major, It gets Delt with. If its not a Game Breaking issue its put on the large Minor issue pile. Join The Tribble Server if you want to talk to Devs. Not just during "Test Events" but Normally on it. Get involved on the Tribble Forum. The Devs only Get involved in Major Issues and Major issues Take priority over Minor Ones. Honestly. I do Not see A Massive amount of major Game breaking Bugs that would piss me off and I am autistic I am Very Detail orientated. Minor Ones yes, Gods thre are tons. I report them as needed, But unless they are Game Breaking the Devs have better things to do like work on The next Expansion. No matter what people will find fault in the games, No one will ever be happy. For every One Issue they fix Ten more will piss and moan about it. Tribble Forums Will Easily Point that out.
Klingon Players will never be enough, they could Out of no where Hot Drop a Complete level package for level 1-21 and the KDF would not be happy they would just switch to something Else to Piss and Moan About. They could fix all your patches in an emergency patch today, You yourself would say thanks and be on in an hour with a whole list of new issues. That is the MMO Cycle. If you check my Raptr or Xfire Page under shadowmajere, you will see how many Games for the most part when I have it running I have torn threw. That is just when I remember to have it running. I am an Avid member of MMOrpg.com I get in every Beta test out there and help bug Chase on Multiple Games. Deeming Star Trek The Worst, shows me you have not been around the block. Going by others Responses on the thread. Not many people Arguing for your side. If you want to See and Be involved with Devs, Get on Tribble. Does everything get posted there, No. They keep Secrets to suprise us. Will Alot of ships Get fancy Bridges, No. Not a lot of people go onto there bridges so its not a money maker for them to design it. Ship skins and Bridges made no money which is why some got pulled from the Zen Store. As the Famous Line is " Money Talks, BS walks" Cryptic is a FOR-Profit Company. Content is based upon Players Demands in the Majority and where the profit will be made. If only a Small Minority Complain, then you are NOT the top priority until you gather the villagers in mass. If the game has say 50,000 players ( doubt it) and only 20-100 are on the forums complaining, that means a massive majority are not showing they have issues.
I'm sorry but you're wrong on multiple points here. The mass majority of the players don't bother with the forums because either A) they're lazy and will rely on others to post up problems they're having, B) just don't care, C) believes that cryptic is aware of the issue and it'll just be magically fixed for them one day (which is kinda point A) or yes D) they're not having the problem. But on that one, I will say there can be a bajillion different reasons for that being they don't play that same content or they don't have that same equipment or w/e. Assuming that there's no problem because it doesn't get mentioned just doesn't cut it.

I'm not going to give overlord Stahl a pat on the head because he got dilithium rewards put back in the game. He screwed up, royally and the players lit him up for it. He deserved every bit of flak he got for that. That initial move on his part showed his true colors and the underlying thought behind everything in this game, make more money. I doubt too, it was just the players pissing and moaning over it, I will bet money it was the canceled subs that got his attention. You're right on one thing, though "Money talks". I've said it before and I'll say it again, until craptic and PWE change their attitudes about this game, my wallet will remain closed. It closed long before s7 launched and I'm not about to forgive and forget for this one act.

Additionally, don't assume anything about me personally. I'm not going to divulge my personal history to you or anyone else here in detail but I have played many MMO's in my time and I'm not saying this to try to tout myself as an net nerd expert, but I will say from my experiences, this MMO is severely mismanaged to be a quality game.

The devs don't need to hide on tribble to communicate with us. There's a whole heaping mess of forum here for them to talk to us, especially this one being the feedback forum. I'm not unreasonable, I don't expect a response to every single question or comment that comes up, but damn... show some love to the people that keep you in business.

You know, I think people here would appreciate devs taking the time to sweep through the game and go bug stomping before releasing more content. They don't have to fix them all, but a little effort can go a long way towards making people feel better about this game. The ones that foolishly throw their money into the dil exchange will still be there, but ya know... I have this funny feeling, that even more would come around to giving a lil extra here and there if they thought it was worth it.
Career Officer
# 22
12-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
I'm sorry but you're wrong on multiple points here. The mass majority of the players don't bother with the forums because either A) they're lazy and will rely on others to post up problems they're having, B) just don't care, C) believes that cryptic is aware of the issue and it'll just be magically fixed for them one day (which is kinda point A) or yes D) they're not having the problem. But on that one, I will say there can be a bajillion different reasons for that being they don't play that same content or they don't have that same equipment or w/e. Assuming that there's no problem because it doesn't get mentioned just doesn't cut it.

I'm not going to give overlord Stahl a pat on the head because he got dilithium rewards put back in the game. He screwed up, royally and the players lit him up for it. He deserved every bit of flak he got for that. That initial move on his part showed his true colors and the underlying thought behind everything in this game, make more money. I doubt too, it was just the players pissing and moaning over it, I will bet money it was the canceled subs that got his attention. You're right on one thing, though "Money talks". I've said it before and I'll say it again, until craptic and PWE change their attitudes about this game, my wallet will remain closed. It closed long before s7 launched and I'm not about to forgive and forget for this one act.

Additionally, don't assume anything about me personally. I'm not going to divulge my personal history to you or anyone else here in detail but I have played many MMO's in my time and I'm not saying this to try to tout myself as an net nerd expert, but I will say from my experiences, this MMO is severely mismanaged to be a quality game.

The devs don't need to hide on tribble to communicate with us. There's a whole heaping mess of forum here for them to talk to us, especially this one being the feedback forum. I'm not unreasonable, I don't expect a response to every single question or comment that comes up, but damn... show some love to the people that keep you in business.

You know, I think people here would appreciate devs taking the time to sweep through the game and go bug stomping before releasing more content. They don't have to fix them all, but a little effort can go a long way towards making people feel better about this game. The ones that foolishly throw their money into the dil exchange will still be there, but ya know... I have this funny feeling, that even more would come around to giving a lil extra here and there if they thought it was worth it.
See the cool thing about this game. Even if you Zip your Wallet, Your still grinding Dilithium and Buying ZEN off the Exchange. You STILL Support the Game it's player Purchased. Even if you Sell your Zen Stipend. You still support the Game. Alot of people here have Shown the DEV's Respond. I have have Responses, another gentleman Above have Responses. You attract more flies with Honey. Posting Bug reports on General Feed back is not hitting a Dev's Attention unless its a major issue. Posting it in the correect Areas Do. Again if it is a Major Issue. The Devs hide on Tribble Because Thats where the FIXES occur. If you want to be part of the solution Get on there. Otherwise your either Fine with the problems, Or part of the problem of why nothing Gets Fixed. You Rather Rant instead of Getting Involved. The players on the Tribble Server Get LISTENED TO. They have SHOWN care for the game. Others who are involved have there problems Delt with. Hell Get involved on Twitter, they are Decently Active on it and So is our Wonderful Community Manager Branflakes. But Again, Game breaking issues Get delt with First. Minor Ones or Cosmetic Ones are non essential. Hell We all Get stuck in walls or Deal with the Drunken Transporter Officer on Qo'nos. Hell Most of us Griped when the Officer was going to get fixed just because it's so damn amusing!
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Career Officer
# 23
12-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
you want to see someone defend Cryptic and their bug fixing efforts? Ok.

Go to Carraya and tell me whether or not you see this: http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5jks3h

That bug never made it to the live server because I reported it during the tribble testing and it got fixed. That was an easy bug though, all they had to do was edit the backdrop of the map.

So yes, there you have proof that cryptic really does at least try to fix bugs.
I think the issue is that the devs remaining in 'team STO' are predominantly on content and maintenance duties - i.e. artists and scripters.

They have a bunch of tools that were created during the development of CoX, CO, STO and now NW, most likely a small amount of (part time) coding support and... that's it.

Borticus isn't a programmer but he's actively involved in balancing systems and introducing new items and powers which makes me think a lot of this stuff is script/database-driven - hell, that could be the entire 'hook' behind Cryptic's ability to 'rapidly turnaround new MMOs' (I don't have the original marketing fluff but supposedly that's their 'thing').

That's great and all when it works, but if something breaks and you have no clue why it broke (and all you're doing is writing/editing scripts) then really, you need someone that knows the code to look into it.

And I'm not sure STO is important enough as a product any more to have full-time coders on the team - not when Neverwinter is fast becoming a real albatross for Cryptic.

Actually, speaking of Neverwinter, how long has it been in development now? It feels like they've actually been working on it for way longer than STO was before it launched - am I just imagining that?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 12-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Career Officer
# 24
12-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Slight info, tho partially out of date.
http://www.stowiki.org/Cryptic_Studios

Also it's awards are way out of Date, Its scooped a Good amount more since this was last updated.
Captain
# 25
12-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Personally i can see this thread being a little too full of angry people at the moment. As it stands the game IS playable, but cryptic DOES have a bad habit of pushing out content before it really should be as well as forgetting it shortly after. There are a lot of places where it really shows through and it's broken promises like these that have probably led to Cryptic being so silent about what's going on now.

why it's happening, i don't know, but it would be nice if the forums could get a little direct feedback from the team when issues like this pop up. A great case in point is that a dev mentioned on the forums that the [Borg] proc never really worked as intended, and as far as i know hasn't returned to the thread to discuss it or what will be done about it since. Frankly the silence(in general) does nothing but hurt Cryptic as a whole. I honestly wouldn't mind them pushing out content like they do as long as they went back to it to make it better, either a big patch here and there or multiple small patches on a regular basis.
Career Officer
# 26
12-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
A great case in point is that a dev mentioned on the forums that the [Borg] proc never really worked as intended, and as far as i know hasn't returned to the thread to discuss it or what will be done about it since.
Well that's because the response was 'sooo - we traded in lots of Proto Salvage worth a f**kton of Dilithium for weapons which you knew all are along were broken? Are they going to get fixed? Are we going to get compensated?'

And obviously the answer to both those questions was 'no - grind or buy Dilithium for new ones' (once you've unlocked them in the rep store) - Borticus didn't post that of course because of the s**tstorm it would've caused in that thread.

His intentions were good - he wanted people to know that there were more viable alternatives coming, but when people have invested countless hours of play-time into acquiring this stuff, telling them it's broken, it's always been broken and we're not gonna do anything about it isn't exactly going to endear you to them.

Honestly, he'd had been better off saying nothing.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
# 27
12-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
Personally i can see this thread being a little too full of angry people at the moment. As it stands the game IS playable, but cryptic DOES have a bad habit of pushing out content before it really should be as well as forgetting it shortly after. There are a lot of places where it really shows through and it's broken promises like these that have probably led to Cryptic being so silent about what's going on now.

why it's happening, i don't know, but it would be nice if the forums could get a little direct feedback from the team when issues like this pop up. A great case in point is that a dev mentioned on the forums that the [Borg] proc never really worked as intended, and as far as i know hasn't returned to the thread to discuss it or what will be done about it since. Frankly the silence(in general) does nothing but hurt Cryptic as a whole. I honestly wouldn't mind them pushing out content like they do as long as they went back to it to make it better, either a big patch here and there or multiple small patches on a regular basis.
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about here. Though I will say craptics response to the [Borg] proc was to just stop providing those weapons and give a passive random proc to weapons through omega rep, but that kinda proves my point. They didn't have a freakin clue how to go about fixing the initial problem so they just pushed it aside and acted like they were doing us a huge favor. Yes it can be argued that its a good thing yadda yadda, but in all, they half assed the initial development of the STF weapons, didn't have a clue how to go back and correct their mistake so they swept it under the rug.

Am I saying everything in this game is broken? No, absolutely not. Like Wraithshadow here pointed out the game IS playable. Not arguing that. But if you could equate this game to a car, itd be running with the oil light and the check engine light on constantly. Someone needs to take this old hoopty to the mechanic and get it fixed, get the tires rotated while they're at it.

No where in the help and support for this game does it say I have to go play on tribble for bugs to be fixed or for me to get a twitter account. That's just unreasonable to expect anyone to do that for bug reports and the like. Like I've said, I've posted in the bug report thread, I've submitted tickets, which is exactly what the devs said to do to report problems. They haven't been fixed, and i'm not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon either.
Career Officer
# 28
12-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Well that's because the response was 'sooo - we traded in lots of Proto Salvage worth a f**kton of Dilithium for weapons which you knew all are along were broken? Are they going to get fixed? Are we going to get compensated?'

And obviously the answer to both those questions was 'no - grind or buy Dilithium for new ones' (once you've unlocked them in the rep store) - Borticus didn't post that of course because of the s**tstorm it would've caused in that thread.

His intentions were good - he wanted people to know that there were more viable alternatives coming, but when people have invested countless hours of play-time into acquiring this stuff, telling them it's broken, it's always been broken and we're not gonna do anything about it isn't exactly going to endear you to them.

Honestly, he'd had been better off saying nothing.
As I tossed in another Thread.. Borticus is like House (hugh laurie) or Dr Perry Cox (John C. McGinley) in Scrubs lol. He says what he wants does not care if he causes Tears
Career Officer
# 29
12-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about here. Though I will say craptics response to the [Borg] proc was to just stop providing those weapons and give a passive random proc to weapons through omega rep, but that kinda proves my point. They didn't have a freakin clue how to go about fixing the initial problem so they just pushed it aside and acted like they were doing us a huge favor. Yes it can be argued that its a good thing yadda yadda, but in all, they half assed the initial development of the STF weapons, didn't have a clue how to go back and correct their mistake so they swept it under the rug.

Am I saying everything in this game is broken? No, absolutely not. Like Wraithshadow here pointed out the game IS playable. Not arguing that. But if you could equate this game to a car, itd be running with the oil light and the check engine light on constantly. Someone needs to take this old hoopty to the mechanic and get it fixed, get the tires rotated while they're at it.

No where in the help and support for this game does it say I have to go play on tribble for bugs to be fixed or for me to get a twitter account. That's just unreasonable to expect anyone to do that for bug reports and the like. Like I've said, I've posted in the bug report thread, I've submitted tickets, which is exactly what the devs said to do to report problems. They haven't been fixed, and i'm not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon either.
I am not saying you have to, but I am saying there are ways to more stand out then others. If you do the same that others do you just blend in. If you go out of the way and get involved further, You are noticed and get respected and stand out more.
Captain
# 30
12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I liek Borticus, i've been a fan of stoked and was sad to see him leave, and as far as i'm concerned he's a good addition to the team. What bothered me though was tossing a borm into an open crowd only to walk away and not deal with the aftermath. I don't demand answers simply because i'm sure he'd get in trouble one way or another as well as i'm glad he did what he did in the first place by letting people know, i would just like feed back from the team. Any thing really to either explain what was being done or even just "hey, we're working on making this right". Even if they just added the ability to trade these things in to the fleet store for either a refund or significant cost reduction for a new weapon.

If you're going to be putting anything in game that requires either time, money, resources, or any combination of the three, it would be nice to either go back and make it work as intended, or to take action to make it right by the people who earned something that didn't really even work,which as stated through out this thread, was a lot.