Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 31
12-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
As I tossed in another Thread.. Borticus is like House (hugh laurie) or Dr Perry Cox (John C. McGinley) in Scrubs lol. He says what he wants does not care if he causes Tears
You're giving him too much credit I'm afraid.

He likes (or at least liked) the game, I'm guessing he likes his job - he has no clue how to handle the players (in fact, nobody at Cryptic does, not even Stahl).

He tries to justify the changes Cryptic makes but it's impossible for him to see things from a customer's point of view any more.

It doesn't help that there's this stigma attached to forum posters in as much that we 'don't represent the playerbase' - or that we only represent a tiny proportion of it - that may be true, but we're their harshest critics when they get something wrong and their staunchest defenders when they get something right - where STO wants to be is somewhere between those two poles.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
# 32
12-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
Not sure when you started Playing dude, But Actually the last Poll given was Romulans Or KDF.. Now we have Tau Dewa.. BY PLAYER request. Most Likely the romulan Playable Race is being Created as we speak for future Roll out. ALSO As for Klingon Faction. The Klingon Faction and I know People Don't want to here This, Was NOT created to be a full blown Faction, It was Created as an Advanced Faction to give more of a challenge in PVP to Higher Level Captains. It was Even Advertised as That. As for the Mess Remember This game Was never fully Finished by Perpetual Due to Bankruptcy. Cryptic Bought it and had to Convert the Codes from the Perpetual Engine Into what we have today. Is it an Excuse, No. Is it fact, Yes.

Dear Cryptic user Dariusmajere;

You Are Wrong!

The KDF Faction WAS supposed to have been as complete as the Federation faction at release.. And, the KDF faction won the pole. Players voted to see KDF finished first.

Lets give you a fact checking here shall we.. ((and I do belive a few of us have tried to get this across to you before)) Original STO Developer.. It Was Not Cryptic.. they picked up the licence to the IP after another studio went under trying to create STO, adapted what they could to the cryptic Game engine (same one as used for Champions Online, and City Of Hero's-now defunct) And developed the rest, and to give them some benifit of the doubt here, and a damd tite time scedule with zero wiggle room. They were on a deadline of release by or loose the licence.

The KDF was not finished as the deadline for release came up.. Cryptic HAD to release the game when they did 3 years ago or LOSE THE RIGHTS TO THE IP period, end of story.. Cryptic ran out of development time. They tideied up where they coould so there wasn't to many ragged ends and released. The KDF was supposed to have been a full faction.. instead they got left as a "Monster Play" faction. The Executive Developer Daniel Stahl was/is an Age of Conan player so was familiar with the concept of a Monster play faction. KDF Was Not Nor Ever Ment To Be A Monster Play Faction... it just happened to be where things broke at release. Stahl was comfortable with that as monster play was something he understood. Even though for the Klingon fans it definatly was NOT sufficiently good. Thats why so many KDF player left the game after a year of play. And why it was down damd near to KDF players with life time meberships keeping the faith for the most part.

At one point KDF oriented players made up less then 1/5th of the player base.. but of those KDF players more then half held life time memberships. And people wonder why we voice our anger so loudly..I'd think it would be pretty obvious.

The diehard KDF players have been P.O'd since release about promises made for KDF content that were either never delivered on or whoafully under delivered on. Ina redcent ask cryptic Stahl stated for the record good things for KDF in season 8. We KDF players have heard THAT song before and serve notice that this time it had best be for real of there will be hell to pay.

The Original poster though is very correct about a great many things. Half hearted work in too many area's.. poor editing of joint mission dialogs to reflect properly the difference between a Federation and a KDF point of view.. Bugs that go un-fixed or ignored forever.

Big Example. Shield Doubleing Exploit (now dead, reason why in a moment) For the first 2 years of the game there was an exploit that if in a PvP match you had taken shield damage and werr packing an extra set of shield you could replace the "damaged" set during combat, and the game engine would not release the previous shield number.. it would in effect act as an entirely second set of shield under the primary set, both shield would repair at the same rate. This issue was noted and complained about for two years, up untill a developer came onto a Video podcast known as STO'ked and had it shown to him.
(note that said dev later took the job of championing pvP in the studio.. and shortly there after left the studio and no longer works there.. I guess the boss's hates to be publicly embarassed....even if it was the bosses own fault. No one know if the dev in question was teminated or left on his own.. companies NEVER tell the truth about this sort of matter.. especially if it might become a PR issue) NOTE that it took the bug being displayed before THOUSANDS of viewers on an internationally viewed video cast to get the issue addressed and fixed.. This exploit took two years to be fixed, even though there were players on the games forum BRAGGING about how they were taking advantage of it. Does Cryptic listen to it's players? Sometimes, yes they do. But it seems, only when forced to do so. I could be wrong, but it sure doesn't feel like I'm wrong.

The Original Poster has made some very telling points and is to be commended for noticing them with out having spent the last three years playing STO.

STO is a 3rd rate MMO at BEST, that is only still here because of it being a Star Trek game... without the trek label it would have likely been shut down in the games second year because there wouldn't have been sufficient players around to continue..

I have been playing MMO's since there were MMO's.. and considering I'm in my 50's.. I have a whole lot of experience with computer gaming. More then two decades.

I also happen to be a die hard Klingon fan and player... and unlike you sir I HAVE been paying attention to the facts, and not some wishfull thinking goblety **** based on rumor and assumption. And I have been playing this game since beta, and I do just happen to have a life time membership (which I got as a leap of faith..silly me, should have known better. skinned the hell out of my nose on this one)

If your going to defend cryptic studio's record then at least get your facts strait will you?

I don't object to your defending them.. I have even done so from time to time.. but DO NOT promulgate lies when your doing it. Your not doing Cryptic any favors, and you do in fact make the studio look even WORSE....Dude!

Khemaraa, The Iron Hand sends

P.S. Borticas was a fan, and in fact Co-Hosted STO'ked. The show mentioned was his very last other then as a guest, as he was offered a job by cryptic studios due to much of the work he did during the run of STO'ked. Borticus is indeed a fan of the game, and a player of the game besides being one of the studio's Dev's now. And he's one of the very best friends we the players could have on the inside of the door into cryptic studios. He doesn't always tell everything, but he will not lie to the players about a game issue.. He'll either lay it out for you or not say anything. But he does deliver the strait dope. The man has got integrity that I for one happen to trust. He's not let me down yet, and if he has, he's the only one that knows it.
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!

Last edited by oldkhemaraa; 12-09-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 352
# 33
12-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Well sir.. Please check your numbers on that poll again... I believe you are drastically mistaken.. 30% for romulan 19% for kdf.. Not sure what information your going off of..

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=379951

Also in the ask cryptic q&a on Raptr it was stated that the kdf faction was built for a higher level pvp faction and was not designed as a full faction. But they will be working if the numbers are there into fleshing it out. Stahl has said he is working to petition it fleshed out since he feels that might breathe life into it. But with the federation bringing in the paycheck they get priority. Also the packaging for sto shows differently. I also was in the beta but seeing as the game was did not bother subbing to it and stuck with Eve Online. Aside for your gripes being a kdf player they have kept with what was advertised at shipping.
When i get on an actual pc and not the nexus 7 i will grab all the quotes from the q&a's and post the links to them and you can post your counters quotes and official sources as well.

As for spreading lies i go by the information stated by stahl, by the q&a's and by the advertising on the box. Unless you can as this forums is famous for saying show the link from an Cryptic dev stating otherwise...
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/

Last edited by dariusmajere; 12-10-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 34
12-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
As for spreading lies i go by the information stated by stahl, by the q&a's and by the advertising on the box. Unless you can as this forums is famous for saying show the link from an Cryptic dev stating otherwise...
*cough*

The History Of The Klingon Empire With Cryptic Studios
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
# 35
12-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Quote:
I never said I expected perfection out of craptic, in fact I distinctly recall saying I'm not expecting perfection. Bugs are a fact of life, I get that, but the sheer volume and the fact that they don't get fixed begs the question, why? The only answer I can come up with is they don't care. I challenge craptic to prove me wrong on that.
This pretty much sums it up. It's perfectly ok if there are bugs that make it onto live realms and it's ok if they take some time to get fixed.

What I get angry about is the fact, that major and sometimes game-breaking bugs don't get fixed, yet they continue to push out "content" that is being effected by them as well.

For example they have released yet another new and shiny Doff specialization, which doesn't get it's own category on the exchange, therefore making it completely worthless, since it can't be bought or sold. It's the same problem that's been faced by the last two new Doff specializations for months.

So why not fix the old bug, before you release the new Doff spec? It's simply greedy, sloppy and amateurish.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 352
# 36
12-10-2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
I did Say From an Official Source. STOwiki is NOT an official Source And That Thread is more slanted then Fox News.
a) The Thread Almost Got closed about it because it was not a Direct Fact based neutral Run about it. But More Sided by Typical KDF Tears. The Warrior Race played by Temper-mental children.
B) No Direct Dates were Ever given and the player based Made alot of Assumptions that Dates were Set and Made there own Judgments on what were coming.
None of the Posts Directly Stated This is WHEN 1-21 would be coming out. the Thread Itself Acknowledges that it was Sold as a PVP Faction ON Launch. As I stated. When All was Said and Done, and It became Official, It Was a Advanced PVP Faction. Not Player assumptions, Not random Rumors, But HARD Fact. Yes It does state later on it was going to be PVE but due to Time Constraints It was released as a PVP Faction. Not Launched as a Full Fledged Faction. Content has been Added as they said they were going to. Never Once did they say it was a Full Expansion of the Klingons, But the Klingon Player Based Assumed it would be. There has not been or ever been a direct statement in that thread or it's Links to hard Code showing a date of Full Content 1-50. It shows the plan to but not the time frame to. I does show if the Numbers pushed it, The earliest would be next Season. They have Never Stated What Was directly Coming in any of the Threads. They HAVE Delivered Content to the KDF and as I stated, the KDF is never happy and always Over assumed what is coming.

What has been Stated is that Cryptic has been Burnt in the past with adding in KDF ships to the Stores and have not made its money back on the Development Costs From Stahl. Stahl has stated in order for more content like ships etc to appear the numbers have to be there to show it would cover the cost of Development. Cryptic has continued to Feed KDF access to Content And to ships. As much as the Feds? No. No where as near, But I would not have my company Waste Valuable Resources for part of the product that has not shown Profit Either. You don't feed a Dying Horse. As I have said in many other posts. You people Who love the KDF so Much Want to see more, Show them you want to see it. Get more and more people onto the KDF maps, Into KDF ships and Buying KDF items. If Cryptic Notices there are profit in the fields, they will come and build. I do Love my KDF characters, I own All the Uniforms, I own All the Ships. Do I use them All Know, but I full believe if you love the product and want to support the product, You support the product and the Devs will support you. The Majority of the Feds Support the Fed Side, and the Devs support the Feds. I don't know many KDF players That have Gone out and Grabbed all the ships, After playing the Fed Side, They cherry picked there Purchases based on how they played as a Fed.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,047
# 37
12-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
where in there does it say KDF was ever supposed to have "full" content?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 352
# 38
12-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
This pretty much sums it up. It's perfectly ok if there are bugs that make it onto live realms and it's ok if they take some time to get fixed.

What I get angry about is the fact, that major and sometimes game-breaking bugs don't get fixed, yet they continue to push out "content" that is being effected by them as well.

For example they have released yet another new and shiny Doff specialization, which doesn't get it's own category on the exchange, therefore making it completely worthless, since it can't be bought or sold. It's the same problem that's been faced by the last two new Doff specializations for months.

So why not fix the old bug, before you release the new Doff spec? It's simply greedy, sloppy and amateurish.
I do wish they would Fix the Exchange. I flood typically the market with Doffs, And having these Specialty doffs float all around it is rediculous. I wish there was a Sort Ability for Faction. In the past you were able to Tell the Two factions apart, now for alot of them you have to right click them to check the backgrounds. It would be alot easier to capitalize the Doff EXchange better if I could sort by Traits and sort by Faction For how I price what I sell. The Search All feature has been Busted For Ages.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 352
# 39
12-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
where in there does it say KDF was ever supposed to have "full" content?
DStah: Prior to launch, Craig did attempt to start communicating that KDF at launch was going to be PVP only - and in Beta that is exactly what it was.

It was during Beta that Jack started to talk about "if the players want KDF PVE - we'll listen" - but at that late stage in the game, there was not much the development team can do to instantly come up with 30 hours of KDF PVE content compared to what was made for the Fed side.
___


Player Assumptions ARE not Hard Fact. Players Assumptions are treated like any Assumption, Unless it is 100% flat out handed down with a Date. It is Speculative.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 40
12-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusmajere View Post
Snip...
There's plenty of links there to old forum posts and Stahl's statements (and back-pedalling) over KDF content are well known by many players here.

Only as recently as the F2P transition we were told that the KDF would see some significant improvements - little-to-nothing has been done with the KDF since then - much the same as the PvP discussions and promises.

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would take an apologist stance over Cryptic's handling of the KDF - unless of course, they just don't care about that segment of the player base.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 AM.