Captain
# 181
12-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm not going to criticize this new incarnation of Trek anymore, it's pointless, so now I'm going to try to understand the new storyline.
I'm not inclined to think it's Khan, it's too soon in the era, he hasn't been found yet nor exiled to the Seti-Alpha system, so reasons for revenge aren't there yet, plus he's never alone, he always has his cadre of augments around him. We see Klingons and we see one man.
Gary Mitchell was Kirk's friend and doesn't become a danger until he's exposed to that mutating energy while on the Enterprise, then he develops psychic powers, this new enemy we see may be very strong but it doesn't appear that he's tossing people around with his mind.
I never liked Enterprise so I don't know much about what occurred in that show, could this new enemy have ties to something that happened in that series? I know that Klingons supposedly messed with human augments in the series the result being the Klingons with human features that we see in TOS. Could this villain be a Klingon augment?
The era is right, we know that Klingons look like humans in this time period and some may be ashamed of their human appearance so wear facial armor that has the bony crests that Klingons currently lack.

Last edited by maxvitor; 12-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Lieutenant
# 182
12-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan5000 View Post
JJ Abrams said the villain is from TOS.

The actor who plays Bones slipped up during an interview and said he was Gary Mitchell.
Mud's Gritty Reboot?

But Seriously, the thing about how JJ Rebooted TOS, it can open up storylines that can't be done in the classic ST universe due to Canon, so characters and events in any future JJ Trek don't have to be bound by classic TOS. If they wanted to, the TOS crew can face off against the Borg or The Dominion

Last edited by mingtran2; 12-09-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Captain
# 183
12-09-2012, 05:38 AM
To be honest I hope they don't bring the Borg or the Dominion into the picture, if they did it would be a sure sign of a complete lack of creativity. In this altered timeline there is room for completely new adventures, if they are going to recycle exiting stories what would have been the point of resetting things with the time travel nonsense.
Commander
# 184
12-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
I am saddened by the fact that this generation has to use Picard as the Star Trek measuring stick.

When I read "More Batman then Picard" I cringed.

Kirk is a rough and tumble '60s serviceman, Picard is a stuffy professor.

You guys REALLY need to watch TOS.

JJ seems to be remaking TOS which would be awesome because it's mostly not PC.
I am currently rewatching TNG and seasons 1 and 2 are a chore to sit through. I am reminded why I didnt like the series when I first saw it. Patrick Stewart looks like he doesnt want to be there. Any interaction anyone has with Worf is to remind him that he is not only a Klingon warrior but a star fleet officer.
I saw two episodes that almost made me skip over TNG and move on to Voyager.
The first episode was the introduction of the Ferengi. They were supposed to be the big bads of the series and came off as too comical. In the episode the Enterprise is chasing a ferengi ship that has stolen some piece of Federation equipment. They slow down and fire on Enterprise. Bothe Riker and Worf ask to return fire. Picard says no because he doesnt want to seem provocative.
The second episode was from season 2. The crew discovers people frozen from the 20th century. They help them get used to the future. At the same time Enterprise is sent to investigate the disappearance of several outposts along the Romulan neutral zone. They arrive and discover 3-4 bases scooped out of their planets. The Romulans arrive and declare they have the same problem and are now coming back onto the galactic stage after several centuries of keeping to themselves. Both groups go their separate ways after a talk and its the end of the episode....except no one seemed to be bothered that something (the writers said this was supposed to be the Borg) was going around destroying their outposts.
Commander
# 185
12-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Next Transformers Movie looks good ... oh wait ...

The good part is ... if JJ needs to "destroy" 1-2 Planets, every movie ... its gonna end soon

Star Trek : When Buildings Collapse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZguHLo-Yq0
150 Planets in the Federation alone. That's 75 movies...
Captain
# 186
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingtran2 View Post
Mud's Gritty Reboot?
Now that's a movie I would watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014