Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,198
# 61
12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Some people now mourn for the Real Scotty
The "real" Scotty is, as far as we know, still alive and well in the prime universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Most expensive film in the canon
smallest profit margin
it bombed
I personally view success as either "making enough of a profit to justify the expenses" or "opening the door to possible sequels". Or in the case of the 2009 movie, both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
pretty much every time travel story in trekdom?
Sorry, I mis-understood your point.

You're right that the "branching" Abramsverse timeline is a bit of an oddity. But the powers-that-be have specifically stated that the original timeline still exists, and the two run simultaneously. That's canon enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
I pray not
It would be one hell of an episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
the problem is they are trying to spread a book shorter than any of the trilogy into three films
AND turn it into an action film
I agree completely on the "three-films" thing - they're trying to milk the book as much as possible. But that doesn't necessarily mean the movies won't be good. They'll just be...different.

And I've heard that there's supposed to be a big battle in the book that involves goblins, wolves, a dragon, and six-foot spiders. Not sure if that's accurate though.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,641
# 62
12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
For the record people, making over 2$ to the 1$ IS good. More than that is great, but it's still good.

Unlike what some think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I agree completely on the "three-films" thing - they're trying to milk the book as much as possible. But that doesn't necessarily mean the movies won't be good. They'll just be...different.

And I've heard that there's supposed to be a big battle in the book that involves goblins, wolves, a dragon, and six-foot spiders. Not sure if that's accurate though.
For the record, they are not just doing the Hobbit book; they're using some of the in-between material as well.

And yes, that big battle happened, though some of your participants are off It's in the animated version, and it's in the book, somewhere
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Last edited by trek21; 12-11-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,641
# 63
12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
double post, ignore
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 64
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Some people now mourn for the Real Scotty

The "real" Scotty is, as far as we know, still alive and well in the prime universe.
Sadly not
July 20, 2005 he died
A great loss to trekdom

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Most expensive film in the canon
smallest profit margin
it bombed

I personally view success as either "making enough of a profit to justify the expenses" or "opening the door to possible sequels". Or in the case of the 2009 movie, both.

allowing for inflation and costs it was the worst performing in a very long time

Quote:
You're right that the "branching" Abramsverse timeline is a bit of an oddity. But the powers-that-be have specifically stated that the original timeline still exists, and the two run simultaneously. That's canon enough for me.
but neither can really be called whole
one has no vulcan the other no Romulus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
I pray not

It would be one hell of an episode.
Three episode arc more likely

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
the problem is they are trying to spread a book shorter than any of the trilogy into three films
AND turn it into an action film

I agree completely on the "three-films" thing - they're trying to milk the book as much as possible. But that doesn't necessarily mean the movies won't be good. They'll just be...different.
yes up there with
"charlies angels full throttle" im sure

Quote:
And I've heard that there's supposed to be a big battle in the book that involves goblins, wolves, a dragon, and six-foot spiders. Not sure if that's accurate though.
No its not

Theres a battle with Goblins , wolves , dwarves , humans , elves and one hobbit
A battle with humans and a dragon
and a battle with giant spiders all in the book

attacop Attacop won't you stop stop your spinning and look for me
Tom noddy tom noddy all big body
Etc
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
# 65
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Im not

now stop calling people names and show some respect for others
So apparently, the respect for others that you desire, Does Not include your attempts at chicanery and misguided re-imagining of the facts?

I'm glad I have a bridge to hide under in that case.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 66
12-11-2012, 11:03 AM
FACTS??

You mean like carol marcus being a scientist and OLDER than Kirk
Thats a fact

im not the one who claims to be a norse monster
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,641
# 67
12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
FACTS??

You mean like carol marcus being a scientist and OLDER than Kirk
Thats a fact

im not the one who claims to be a norse monster
It's only a fact in the PRIME TREK... that doesn't make it a fact for the alternate Carol Marcus in an alternate universe, despite your opinion to the contray

I doubt it will, but get that fact through your head
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,593
# 68
12-11-2012, 11:10 AM
So the native language of the klingons is welsh?
The planet Bajor is inhabited by Daleks??

NO anything prior to the time break remains constant
so Carol marcus remains a scientist and OLDER than kirk (not to mention smarter)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,198
# 69
12-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Sadly not
July 20, 2005 he died
A great loss to trekdom
Thought we were talking about Scotty, not James Doohan.

Of course people are going to mourn a real person who really died. That would happen regardless of whether or not Abrams made his movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
but neither can really be called whole
one has no vulcan the other no Romulus
Psi 2000 presumably disintegrated in "The Naked Time". Does that make the prime universe "incomplete" as well?
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,641
# 70
12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
So the native language of the klingons is welsh?
The planet Bajor is inhabited by Daleks??

NO anything prior to the time break remains constant
so Carol marcus remains a scientist and OLDER than kirk (not to mention smarter)
You're still forgetting WOK only happened many years after the time break's date Carol Marcus and Kirk were as old as we saw them because time had passed.

In Into Darkness, that hasn't happened yet, and never will. We're seeing a first meeting, not a sudden reconciling

Get your facts straight before you try and sell me them

Edit: actually, forget that. I've had enough of your trolling and word-twisting
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 PM.